5k run vs walking ?

angelupnorth

Gold Member
I all

I usually do a lot if walking, anything from 8 to 12 miles in one session and am now thinking of starting to jog as well or instead.

My question is am I likely to burn much more by jogging a shorter distance than walking a longer distance ?

I hope that makes sense.

I'm
Wanting to start with 5k, we have a 400 metre track near us so I have easy access and can track my distance no problem.

All thoughts and opinions welcome :)

Wow. I think jogging is a great idea. I have just started! I walk a lot too. I walk my dog and also other peoples. I have started jogging..id say around 2 miles a day. I would like to increase that over time. I want to lose weight but tone up more importantly. I like to mix jogging and walking! Let me know how you get on. I wish i had a track near me!

Wow. I think jogging is a great idea. I have just started! I walk a lot too. I walk my dog and also other peoples. I have started jogging..id say around 2 miles a day. I would like to increase that over time. I want to lose weight but tone up more importantly. I like to mix jogging and walking! Let me know how you get on. I wish i had a track near me!

Thanks for the response.

I've not jogged yet as I'm on a VLCD and a few people have advised agains it until I lose a but more weight to ease the pressure on my joints & bones but it is most certainly something I would like to do.
Good luck to you and well don't with doing a couple if miles a day :) that's a lot further than me so far x

Intensity of your exercise determines weight loss with cardio. Getting your heart pumping is important. You'll burn more calories with a high heart rate rate compared to a normal/walking heart rate.

Couch to 5k is a great plan to use to get started.

Intensity of your exercise determines weight loss with cardio. Getting your heart pumping is important. You'll burn more calories with a high heart rate rate compared to a normal/walking heart rate. Couch to 5k is a great plan to use to get started.

Thanks, it was the c25k program I was looking at :)

image-397681942.jpg

I do quite a bit walking, just over 10 mile today but running is certainly something I would love to try :)

Back