6 stone to lose but worried about excess skin?

littlelegs170411

Okay so I have 6 stone to lose but so worried about excess skin I think I'd rather be fat than be thin with excess skin.
I've had a cesarean so its left me with an overhang as it is.
If I were to lose all my weight would the nhs help me with the skin?

littlelegs170411 said:
Okay so I have 6 stone to lose but so worried about excess skin I think I'd rather be fat than be thin with excess skin.

Really???? Surely it's best to be slim with excess skin? That's my opinion anyway-I'm sure as you are young, providing you do it slowly, your skin will be ok

I have a friend who has lost about the same weight as you want to lose and quite quickly too, she found she needed to tone up a little and that exercise helped she has also had a cesarean and found her tummy was the last bit to go and took the longest but she did finally get there without the NHS. I don't know if that helps x :)

I can understand where you are coming from, the excess skin bothers me too but I am glad that I have lost the weight and loook better generally. I think you are younger than me and have less to lose and I have had 3 kids so you stand a better chance of your skin recovering and if you do some exercise etc that should help too. When I discussed my worries about this with a friend she pointed out that if I didnt like the skin when I had lost the weigt I could of course put the weight back on! I dont want to do that though plus it is advised to give the skin a good chance to catch up with the new body as in a couple of years! Dont let it put you off have a look at the threads where people have lost lots and the benefits and things they can do now and see if that encourages you xx

Providing you lose it slow and exercise to tone up, your skin should generally go back into place. If's not like you are massively overweight, then it will be more difficult, 6 stone is hardly anything compared to some people (no offence). I had 6.5 stone to lose, just over half way there now and i do have flabby skin, but cos i'm toning up its not as bad as I expected, but i don't do a lot of exercise to tone up, so if you did some each day it should tone up well.

I know its a worry though i worry about it and i have 3 stone to lose i think with even gentle exercise it will help, i have to admit your photo doesnt look like you have 6 st to lose bless you you look tiny already :) x

I think I'd rather be fat than be thin with excess skin.

Do you? Do you really?

That isn't a problem, if you prefer to be fat go on overeating, it'll be easy :)

I've lost 7st and my skin is doing quite well. If I bend over and look at my thighs in a certain position then I see some loose skin but nothing that time and exercise won't solve and I feel so much better for it. My arms need toning too but would I go back to being as I was...no chance.

Lose it at a sensible speed and you will be fine.x

I have the same worry about excess skin. I've also got 6 stone to lose and I can understand OP's concerns. x

I have the same worry about excess skin. I've also got 6 stone to lose and I can understand OP's concerns. x

I've got at least 7 left to lose (having lost 8 1/2 so far) so I can absolutely understand the OP's concerns. I already have some loose skin, but given the choice would I choose my previous weight (along with the associated health problems and day-to-day obstacles, restrictions, shame, etc etc etc) over a bit of loose skin? Not a chance. We can't have utopia but I reckon my life is massively better than it was a year ago. I can't say that everyone will say the same, but I think most people would. :)

I've lost 5st and have another 4 to lose,I've got excess skin on my boobs and belly but tbh after 4 kids i can't really expect anything else. I'd rather look good in my clothes than feel fat and frumpy in them x

in total I will have lost 7.5 stone when I get to my goal weight. Flabby skin concerns me too. What I plan to do is to start putting money aside for a tummy tuck if needs be! It's vein, yes, but I want to be happy in my skin!

I was really worried about this as I already had an overhang from having a 9lb 13oz baby and am short so she stretched my skin massively, and then i put on weight and filled it out. Now after my 2nd baby I am losing it. Am 2st down, about 4 and a half to go and I just think my stomach looks loads better than it did, even with a bit of loose skin, and some of it has reduced thankfully, maybe because I am still fairly young. My arms are quite bad, and are the bit that upsets me most, but then I didn't like them fatter either so there is no easy answer for that lol

Hope you can find peace with yourself hunny and remember its not just about how you look, its about health as well, you will massively improve your health if you lose a bit of weight xxx

Loose skin is way better than being 6st overweight imo. I'm not fussed for loose skin - of course it worries me, but I'll deal with it when it happens. I know there are steps I can take now to prevent it... just a bit lazy tbh!!

Yes the NHS will probably help you, but I'm pretty sure you'd have to prove to them that you were going to keep the weight off (i.e stay at target for 6mths - a year, or more) and they'd probably ask you to try alternatives to surgery first, like exercise/toning, bio oil/palmer's moisturiser etc.. you'd probably be waiting a long time before they gave you surgery! I've read on here before that loose skin can take up to a year to disappear on it's own anyway, so they probably would ask you to come back some time later, if it was still an issue.

If you're really worried, start preparing now. Use a weight loss moisturiser, like Palmer's, to help with the loose skin you might get and start exercising.

Don't let the thought of loose skin prevent you from losing weight!

Sorry if you know longer require an answer to this. but im new here and just came across this. i lost over six stone two years ago and i had no loose skin. i walked and done some toneing exercises nothing to extreme at all :) altho i did get a bit of loose on my amm assets lol nothing a good bra coodlnt disguise.

Really interesting read thanks op and everyone else. I've 7 to loose in total and have these concerns aswell.
Does anyone have any info on the palmers cream previously mentioned?

Really interesting read thanks op and everyone else. I've 7 to loose in total and have these concerns aswell.
Does anyone have any info on the palmers cream previously mentioned?
I've lost over 7st and obviously have a bit of skin, but not a lot as I've exercised and moisturised throughout I dread to think what I'd be like if I hadn't bothered. I have been a bit lazy with the moisturiser lately I must get back to it now lol but the exercise has definitely helped. The worse skin is on my arms and tops of legs, as they were really big. I didn't expect to come away looking like a model though, I knew I'd be a bit saggy :) health and being a healthy weight is much more important to me than worrying about a bit of loose skin x

A lot of it is out of our control to be honest, it's down to things like age and how elastic our skin is.

I think there are a few things you can do to help yourself. Weight lifting is great for shaping muscle and toning up. Don't be put off and be afraid that you will bulk up, unless you are a man and eating at a calorie surpluss it won't happen (or taking drugs!). Yes you can retain water from sore muscles but weight lifting gives great shape and help retains muscle as you lose weight, and the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn when resting :)

Keep yourself and your skin well hydrated. Drink plenty of water. I know the recommended is around 2 litres but it does very a bit for people. The best way to check for dehydration is colour of your wee! If it's dark then up the water, if it's very pale straw colour then you are bang on target! :)

Do dry body brushing to exfoliate and use a good moisuturiser designed to help tighted skin up.

And probably the best way to avoid excess skin if at all possible is lose the weight in a sensible way, lots of healthy foods, don't starve yourself and lose the weight at a steady rate not too quick (sounds like slimming world to me!!).

I know it would be upsetting to put all that hard work in and still not feel happy in your own skin but at least health wise you would have reduced the risk of heart disease, diabetes and all other kinds of things and in your clothes you will look amazing!

If you can do aquatone at your local swimming baths, I found that it worked better as you are working out against water, 45 mins a session and I found that I didn't feel as exhausted as using gym equipment. As I am 67 I thought that I would end up with excess skin as I have been over weight for over half my life but I am pleased to say that I have minimum excess skin! I also use a mountain bike whenever I can.

Back