900 calories.

laurenmay

Gold Member
Right.. I listen to Jillian Michaels podcasts religiously at work, and absorb all the information she digests regarding diet and fitness.

A few times she's mentioned that with some obese clients she'll put them on a diet of 800 calories a day, gradually increasing by 10% every two weeks to avoid gaining and also getting the client to a healthy calorie amount but still encouraging their body to lose weight.

I'm morbidly obese, I'm only 5ft 3 and 211lbs, and if my general wellbeing wasn't being affected then I'd slow & steady follow 1300 calories a day like I was doing... but my health and wellbeing is affected now. My joints are causing me a great deal of pain, my knees and ankles will swell from standing in work or walking a short distance, I struggle to catch my breath from the smallest of activities and my back is starting to suffer too.

I'm considering following JM's method, but I was thinking about starting at 900 calories for 2-4 weeks, then increasing calories by 10% every fortnight as advised. I just need to kick start things to ease the strain on my joints and back..

What does everyone think? I know 800-900 calories is a controversial amount that often raises angry rants from some people, but it's not a lifestyle I'll pursue for more than 4 weeks, it's just a short stint to give my body a boost in the right direction.

Under constant supervision with nutritionists and support like on the Biggest Loser i imagine it would be fine.

But, doing it alone with be hard. You'll feel tired, hungry and it will be hard to stick to.
You'll really have to plan your foods to ensure you get all the nutrients you need to fuel your body.
It'll be hard to eat out or socially in that time.

I guess it really depends how strong you are.

I'm obese (much much fatter than you) and i would love to quickly drop the weight. But, I'm not strong enough to do it. I'm seeing my diet more as a lifestyle change. And although I'm losing at quite a fair rate atm i know it will drop off and will take me a while to get to target.
But because i don't feel deprived, it doesn't worry me.

I would only do it with medical assistant, you could find that you feel really sluggish and tired and it's easier to fall into the trap of bingeing (I'm terrible for this, i can actually eat chocolate until I can't move)

I'm a similar weight and after consultations with my doctor she recommends no less that 1400, I also have to go every 4 weeks to be weighed.

I think we all want a quick fix but cc steady I think is the best route ( I'm not taking my own advice and keep falling of the wagon but lots of inspirational people on these boards!)

Good luck x

I'm no medical expert and don't claim to be but .... I'd seriously rethink what you are planning to do. 800 calories seems so awfully low. I'd also worry about your body going into starvation mode and holding on to the weight. I personally couldn't do it, not without going hungry, being miserable and setting myself up for failure. I personally wouldn't do it and think you should stick to the higher amount. I'm 5ft 3 and half, and I wouldn't drop below 1200 calories a day.

I find it scary to think I could only have 800 calories.

I understand why you would want to, but I would worry about the outcome.

Okay, I understand everyone's worries about 900 calories or less and all the con's regarding eating this way...

I'm torn between CC on the minimum 1200 calories a day, or to give JUDDD a go? The thing about JUDDD that I like and that draws me to it is that apparently your body shape changes faster than it will on any other diet... But then my calorie allowances for JUDDD are 2113 on an up day, and 424 on a down day. Will eating that extremely really help solve all the issues I have with food? Cause I know that on up days I'd have to eat some high calorie treats just to reach my 2113 quota! Whereas if I eat 1200 cals normal CC then I'll want to make the most of my calorie allowance by eating healthy nutrient dense foods and not things like chocolate, cake etc...

Advice?

Personally JUDD wouldn't work for me. I have an unhealthy relationship with food and know that cycling calories JUDD recommends would feck me up even more.

If your objective is to change your shape, exercising like a maniac would be your best bed.
Cardio and weights, whilst calorie counting will give you a better shape.

You like the gym (unlike me) so this should be easy for you.

Also, maybe stop weighing yourself and just take measurements.

I think steady calorie counting is best, to be honest. Unless you are extremely self-disciplined, I think calorie cycling is very difficult.

Calorie Counting will get you where you want to go. I've lost 27lbs in 3 months since I started CCing. It's not coming off as quickly as I'd like but I know it's a weight loss that is steady, my eating isn't erratic and ultimately, it's helping me develop habits that should hopefully let me eat sensibly for the rest of my life. And I think that's the point- if you have an extreme relationship with food, I think a moderate approach is better. It does eventually become habit and that makes it easier. I suggest CCing for a solid month or two and then seeing how you feel. It does get easier :)

faery_lights said:
Calorie Counting will get you where you want to go. I've lost 27lbs in 3 months since I started CCing. It's not coming off as quickly as I'd like but I know it's a weight loss that is steady

Snap. 25lb in eight weeks.

I eat 1700 cals a day and pretty much what i want.
I eat out lots, have choccy a few times a week and am a carb queen.
In the whole time i have only ever gone over once which was a planned party.

The trick for me has been little and often. Little portions so i fit in my calorie allowance and regular meals mean i keep my blood suger stable and i never get hungry. This in turn helps me make good choices foodwise and avoid binges.

Lauren did you not try JuDD back in August? I thought I remembered seeing some posts? I think you really need to think hard, especially when on a down day you may find it hard to get back into it after eating so much the day before.

Personally I don't think it builds very good relationships with food.

I've tried so many diets over the time and I'm sure they all work but over time, not straight away.

I hope im not speaking out of turn but you need to find the one that fits best with you and your life and stick with it for a few months.

We will all support you with whatever you decided. Xxx

MissAmy said:
Personally JUDD wouldn't work for me. I have an unhealthy relationship with food and know that cycling calories JUDD recommends would feck me up even more.

If your objective is to change your shape, exercising like a maniac would be your best bed.
Cardio and weights, whilst calorie counting will give you a better shape.

You like the gym (unlike me) so this should be easy for you.

Also, maybe stop weighing yourself and just take measurements.

That's what I thought - I have a really crappy unhealthy relationship with food & if I'm allowed a limit of 2113 cals then I'm guaranteed to use those calories on junk rather than good healthy food...

I used to love the gym, but honestly haven't been in a good few months. I wanna get back into exercise though, I know once I go back I'll start to love it again but it's just getting myself there again!

faery_lights said:
I think steady calorie counting is best, to be honest. Unless you are extremely self-disciplined, I think calorie cycling is very difficult.

Calorie Counting will get you where you want to go. I've lost 27lbs in 3 months since I started CCing. It's not coming off as quickly as I'd like but I know it's a weight loss that is steady, my eating isn't erratic and ultimately, it's helping me develop habits that should hopefully let me eat sensibly for the rest of my life. And I think that's the point- if you have an extreme relationship with food, I think a moderate approach is better. It does eventually become habit and that makes it easier. I suggest CCing for a solid month or two and then seeing how you feel. It does get easier :)

I agree with you and congratulations on your CC success so far! :) I do have a really bad relationship with food, which I want to take control of and change to adapt a healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life... so I should and will healthily & steadily CC.

busybee_mummy said:
Lauren did you not try JuDD back in August? I thought I remembered seeing some posts? I think you really need to think hard, especially when on a down day you may find it hard to get back into it after eating so much the day before.

Personally I don't think it builds very good relationships with food.

I've tried so many diets over the time and I'm sure they all work but over time, not straight away.

I hope im not speaking out of turn but you need to find the one that fits best with you and your life and stick with it for a few months.

We will all support you with whatever you decided. Xxx

I didn't try but I did consider JUDDD a few times. I don't think I can do it, purely cause I know it won't help my issues with food at all & I really need to conquer that in order to live a healthy lifestyle.

I know CC is for me, and when I started back the week before last I managed to lose 9lbs the first week so it works for me too... unfortunately I've sabotaged ever since so I just need to get back into it. Thank you xx

I listen to Jillian Michael's podcast too. Do remember that she doesn't include any non starchy veg in her calorie totals. So in effect you would be eating 900 cals plus as much non starchy veg as you like. So if you are a veg lover (like myself) then you would find yourself eating more like 1200-1400 cals a day. However, if you are reluctant to eat veg then I would not recommend going as low as 900 cals.

Babana said:
I listen to Jillian Michael's podcast too. Do remember that she doesn't include any non starchy veg in her calorie totals. So in effect you would be eating 900 cals plus as much non starchy veg as you like. So if you are a veg lover (like myself) then you would find yourself eating more like 1200-1400 cals a day. However, if you are reluctant to eat veg then I would not recommend going as low as 900 cals.

I absolutely hate veggies. I've tried various ones and various methods of cooking them but just never been a fan so I wouldn't be eating any starchy veggies.. So I'll stick to the healthy 1200 limit :)

Hi Lauren
Is that right that u weigh 215lbs?
Your picture you look tiny and stunning btw?
I aggre I tried Juddd but have a bad relationship with binging and went back to dukan where I've lost all my weight bar now 12lbs
I noticed you don't like veg do you like protein as dukan might be worth a try
How are u feeling in yourself? Xx

Laurab21 said:
Hi Lauren
Is that right that u weigh 215lbs?
Your picture you look tiny and stunning btw?
I aggre I tried Juddd but have a bad relationship with binging and went back to dukan where I've lost all my weight bar now 12lbs
I noticed you don't like veg do you like protein as dukan might be worth a try
How are u feeling in yourself? Xx

Hello :) thank you, my picture is me last year before I gained all this weight. I've always fluctuated between 9.7 stone and 10 stone until Christmas last year when I started piling on loads of weight cause I got fed up of dieting all the time just to stay small!
I do like protein, but dukan seems a bit complicated for me & I have looked into it before. So I think I'll stick with CC for now as its basic & simple and how I used to stay slim before!
I'm 212lbs at the moment, but I wouldn't say I look that big. Everyone is shocked when I tell them how much I actually do weigh & always think I'm a stone or two lighter.
I'm feeling okay! Just trying to get back into the swing of things & push all thoughts of chocolate to the back of my brain! Lol
Thanks for your kind reply :) x

Hey let me tell you I have tried all kinds of diets. weight watchers, atkins, biggest loser, healthy eating & exercise, 3 protein shakes a day, 2 protein shakes a day and 1 meal, calorie counting......... the list goes on.

To be honest, I dont think any diet works! I have lost weight and put it all back on again several times.

You just have to be honest with yourself. I think the 800cals is dodgey as you may stick to it for a week, but then what happens after that? You get fed up, start eating again and put it back on and more.

Write down all your favourite foods, what you like and what you don't like. So you know what you will eat each day. It sounds silly, but go back to basics, and the whole idea is to make slight changes, small losses are good because you have to remember that it's for the rest of your life, not "I need to lose a stone for my birthday in October" or "I need to lose 2 stone by christmas".

Sorry I am rambling on, just trying to help. You do look amazing in your picture, you are still that person just don't be too harsh on yourself and you will get there :)

Kirsty xx

Lauren honey I'm gonna get a bit harsh now but only cos I worry that you can't seem to decide what to do. I've said to you before this is not about a quick fix this is about a sensible approach to food for the rest of your life. I had to realise that & having done it I'm getting there.... You have to be realistic & do this sensibly or it won't work. I do understand please don't think I do but I know you have to do this a way that is maintainable for life xx

Back