A Catalogue of Indian Recipes (Bhuna, Jalfrezi, Balti, Madras, Korma and many more)

Hi Kay, hope You are ok, just got back online after my move. Couldn't reply to Your private message as Your inbox is full. Hopefully speak soon.

58) Aubergine In Masala

(Bengan Ka Bharta)
Serves 4

½ Syn per serving on all plans.

(58) Bengan Ka Bharta.jpg
(click on pic to enlarge)

Ingredients:
1 large aubergine
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 spring onions chopped finely
2 tbs tamarind paste = 2 syns
1 tsp salt(to taste)
½ tsp red chilli powder
1 tbsp ex volive oil (HEB)
¼ tsp turmeric powder
4 tbs fat free yogurt
2 green chillies deseeded finely chopped
2 tbs fresh mint leaves finely chopped
1 tbs lemonjuice

Mehtod :

Roast the aubergine in a hot oven until the skin gets slightly burnt and shrivelled. Put the hot aubergine in a bowl of cold water and remove the skin. Now place the aubergine in a separate bowl and mash the aubergine pulp and set aside. In a non stick saucepan add all the ingredients together on medium flame and cook for3-4 minutes or until the water has dried up (stirring continuously otherwise it will burn). Now add the aubergine mixture to the pan lower the heat and cook for a further 4-5 minutes. Sauté till the masala is cooked and the oil rises to the surface, the aubergine will turn brown in colour. Turn off the heat and serve with plain basmati rice, chapatti or salad.

Enjoy !! :)
xx

Last edited:
59) Cabbage Kofta Curry
Serves 4

1/2 Syn per serving on Green.

(59) Cabbage Kofta Curry.jpg
(click on pic to enlarge)

Ingredients:
For Koftas (Dumpling)

8 oz of mashed potato ( you can use smash)
400g tin/jar cooked chick peas
1 beaten egg
2 cups shredded cabbage
½ tsp cumin seeds
2 tsp finely chopped corriander
1 tsp shredded ginger
1 chopped green chilli
1 tsp salt (to taste)
Frylight

For Gravy

3 medium tomatoes chopped
½ inch of ginger
1 green chilli chopped
2 tbs fat free yogurt
1 tbs ex volive oil (HEB)
Pinch of asafoetida or hing (optional)
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp gramflour – 2 syns
1 tbsp. corriander powder
½ tsp turmeric powder
½ tsp salt(to taste)
½ tsp paprika powder
¼ tsp red chilli powder
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
1 tsp sweetner
1 ½ cups of water

Method:
Kofta

Heat oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 . Drain and rinse chickpeas and mash well. Add mashed potatoes, cabbage and seasonings. Mix together with beaten egg . Spray large baking tray with fry light. Put tablespoon sized 'balls' of mix on tray. Spray the koftas with fry light . Cook in oven for approx 15 to 20 mins, until golden brown.

Gravy
Blend the tomatoes, green chilies and ginger to make a puree. If you prefer a milder version, take the seeds out of the green chili before blending. Heat the oil in a saucepan on medium-high. Test the heat by adding one cumin seed to the oil, if it cracks right away the oilis ready. Add the asafetida, cumin seeds and gram flour . Stir-fry for a few minutes. Add the tomato mixture, coriander powder, turmeric, paprika, and cook on medium heat until the tomato mixture starts leaving the oil and reduces to about half in quantity. Next add the yogurt and cook for another minute. Add about 1½ cups of water and the salt. As it comes to boil reduce the heat to medium-low and let the gravy cook for few minutes. Note: adjust the thickness of the gravy to your taste by adjusting the water. Add the prepared koftas and let it simmer for another 7 to 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and add freshly chopped coriander and serve with plain basmati rice and cucumber raita (recipe 16 on page 2).

Enjoy !! :)
xx

Last edited:
Hello honey.... lovely new additions x

Monday Kay,

What you doing??? I'm off to group early, get it over with, I'm doing the Beavers run this week with the kids so can't attend the evening group, just wanna weigh-in & start my week. Weekend was a mixed bag, I find it hard when I've no "control" over my food.

Hope you had a good weekend!!:)

Monday Kay,

What you doing??? I'm off to group early, get it over with, I'm doing the Beavers run this week with the kids so can't attend the evening group, just wanna weigh-in & start my week. Weekend was a mixed bag, I find it hard when I've no "control" over my food.

Hope you had a good weekend!!:)

good luck with the wi Issy x

60) Turkey Biryani
Serves 6-8

1/2 Syn per serving on EE.

(60)Turkey Biryani.jpg ( click on pic to enlarge)

Ingredients

750g or 1 kg of cooked turkey meat shredded
1kg Basmati Rice (soak in water for 30 mins)
150g Fat Free Yogurt
3-4 tsp salt (according to taste)
1 medium onion sliced
6 garlic cloves crushed
2 cups of water
1 tbsp. ginger paste
12 green cardamoms
1 ½ tbsp garlic paste
12 cloves
1 tbsp ex volive oil (HE b choice)
2 tbsp FloraLighter than Light spread (3 syns)
2-3 tbsp. kewa essence (optional)
½ tsp yellow food colour
1 tsp sweetner
1 pinch of saffron (mixed in 2 tbsp of water)
½ tbsp lemon juice

Method

In a non stick pan heat the olive oil and add the flora lighter than light spread, now add 1 medium onion sliced, add a pinch of salt and fry until golden brown. Now add the rest of the spices and fry for a few more minutes. Now add the shredded turkey meat to the onion mixture in the pan and cook on medium flame for a further 5 mins.

Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes before boiling . 1 kg of rice is approx 4 cups of dry rice. Rice normally takes 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice, so for 4 cups of rice you would need 8 cups of water,but I always prefer to add a bit less because water can always be topped uplater, but if you put too much water in the beginning then the rice can end up sticking together souse 7 cups of water for 1 kg of rice

Now boil the rice along with 1 tbsp of salt and ½ tbsp. lemon juice until its ¾ cooked. Once the rice is boiled, drain the water and keep aside. Transfer a little rice to a pot and on top of that add some of the turkey masala combo so as to make layers of rice and masala keeping the rice layers both at the bottom and top. When you have finished the layers, sprinkle some kewra essence on top , and yellow food colour, 1 tsp sweetner and saffron soaked in a tbsp. of water. Keep the pot covered on a low flame for about 10 minutes , keeping the lid tightly closed to steam cook. When the rice is done your Turkey Biryani is ready to eat.

Serve with Salad and Cucumber Raita !

Enjoy !! :) xx

Last edited:
60) Turkey Biryani
Serves 6-8

View attachment 114442 ( click on pic to enlarge)

Ingredients

750g or 1 kg of cooked turkey meat shredded
1kg Basmati Rice (soak in water for 30 mins)
150g Fat Free Yogurt
3-4 tsp salt (according to taste)
1 medium onion sliced
6 garlic cloves crushed
2 cups of water
1 tbsp. ginger paste
12 green cardamoms
1 ½ tbsp garlic paste
12 cloves
1 tbsp ex volive oil (HE b choice)
2 tbsp FloraLighter than Light spread (3 syns)
2-3 tbsp. kewa essence (optional)
½ tsp yellow food colour
1 tsp sweetner
1 pinch of saffron (mixed in 2 tbsp of water)
½ tbsp lemon juice

Method

In a non stick pan heat the olive oil and add the flora lighter than light spread, now add 1 medium onion sliced, add a pinch of salt and fry until golden brown. Now add the rest of the spices and fry for a few more minutes. Now add the shredded turkey meat to the onion mixture in the pan and cook on medium flame for a further 5 mins.

Soak the rice in water for 30 minutes before boiling . 1 kg of rice is approx 4 cups of dry rice. Rice normally takes 2 cups of water to 1 cup of rice, so for 4 cups of rice you would need 8 cups of water,but I always prefer to add a bit less because water can always be topped uplater, but if you put too much water in the beginning then the rice can end up sticking together souse 7 cups of water for 1 kg of rice

Now boil the rice along with 1 tbsp of salt and ½ tbsp. lemon juice until its ¾ cooked. Once the rice is boiled, drain the water and keep aside. Transfer a little rice to a pot and on top of that add some of the turkey masala combo so as to make layers of rice and masala keeping the rice layers both at the bottom and top. When you have finished the layers, sprinkle some kewra essence on top , and yellow food colour, 1 tsp sweetner and saffron soaked in a tbsp. of water. Keep the pot covered on a low flame for about 10 minutes , keeping the lid tightly closed to steam cook. When the rice is done your Turkey Biryani is ready to eat.

Serve with Salad and Cucumber Raita !

Enjoy !! :) xx

Be great for Xmas leftover turkey Kay!!

Back