A diary of a slimming world consultant

Hi caretaker, there are quite a few male consultants, I don't know the exact number-but they do exist!
I think the most important thing is wanting to help other people lose weight. No consultant has all the answers to everything. It's teaching members how they can work things out for themselves.
The training is very good.
I think the best thing to do is go along to an ops event and see if its something you would be interested in. You can ask lots of questions and take your time to decide if you want to do it now in the futute or it may not be for you when you've weighed up all the pros and cons. xx

Hi caretaker, there are quite a few male consultants, I don't know the exact number-but they do exist!
I think the most important thing is wanting to help other people lose weight. No consultant has all the answers to everything. It's teaching members how they can work things out for themselves.
The training is very good.
I think the best thing to do is go along to an ops event and see if its something you would be interested in. You can ask lots of questions and take your time to decide if you want to do it now in the futute or it may not be for you when you've weighed up all the pros and cons. xx
Hi Caretaker

Like you, I hadn't done anything but EE when I started my Consultant training but what my TD told me was to try the other plans so I can talk to my members about them.
So far, I've done several Green days but have yet to do Original or Success Express and I've run 2 groups!!

EE is what SW want to promote so I don't actually need to talk about the other plans in group unless a member specifically asks.
Its just handy to have that knowledge.

And it's hard work- your life is completely consumed by SW and so is your house lol!!

I was very down after my first group but now I've done 2, I'm a lot more happy about it. I didn't fast track, my group is small but I love it :)
Seeing members happy is what makes me happy :)

Aw thats nice Dougal. I really wish you every success, I am sure with your determined attitude you will do well. :)

And caretaker, hope you make a success in being a consultant if thats what you decide to do in the future. There must be quite a need for male consultants. Good luck

Hello :) I have been asked by my C to go to an opps meeting with the view to becoming a SW consultant now the thing is I have only been a SW member since the last week in January and although SW has been incredibly successful for me I have only ever done Extra Easy, I wouldn't know what a Red or Green day was if it bit me on the bum!
so I guess what I'm asking is surely you would have to know what SW is completely about?
because of my good losses I do get people asking me how to do things and I have actually helped a few members and I do tend to get people coming up to me after group to discuss bits ad pieces, but someone the other day asked me if they could have something as a healthy extra B and I didn't have a clue!!! Unlike Rosie who started this fantastic thread I don't really have a social life to worry about so if I could get more into it as opposed to just finding what works for me and sticking to it, I'm thinking I would be able to do it, I have no problems speaking in front of people, so would enjoy that aspect of it, and I'm guessing being a bloke is a bit of a novelty to a group as it seems 99.9% of the Consultants seem to be ladies, I could see that being a very positive thing. Any advice would be brilliant.

On the not knowing green/original days business - that one is easy to rectify, I would recommend exactly the same thing that Dougal's TD did, which is to try out the other plans.

I'd been on Extra Easy since I joined last October but decided to give Green and Original a try a few weeks back when my losses slowed down as I remembered that I used to have success alternating Green and Original days my last time round with SW (16 years ago!!). It was actually fun to do something a bit different and I enjoyed being able to have extra A & B choices - you end up going back to basics again and reading/checking your books to make sure you're getting it right, which is never a bad thing I think.

I've also tried Success Express a couple of times and find it helpful to effectively have 4 choices of plans that I can use as and when I need or feel like it. You can even do a different plan each day if you don't want to try a full week.

As well as helping you understand the different plans, the exercise may also help your weight loss as doing things differently helps to 'keep your body guessing', which I think is another important aspect to weight loss. You will also potentially learn some of the pitfalls that members can encounter when trying to follow them.

For example, the first time I tried Success Express, I stopped after 2-3 days as I was convinced I was going to put on weight as I felt I was eating too much. However, the second time I tried it, I realised that the first time round I'd gone wrong by trying to eat the same size portion of free food as I would have done on Extra Easy so had to add a HUGE amount of superfree to balance it out to be 2/3 and my stomach was ready to burst by the time I was finished!

The potential challenge I could see for you as a male consultant would be that the majority of your members (I'm guessing from groups I've been to) are going to be female so you're going to need to try to understand things from the female perspective. I don't see that as being a major problem as you'll by now be comfortable I'm sure with hearing about 'star' week during your group IT sessions :) Also you could help make connections with your members by collecting a few anecdotes over time of female 'friends/members/acquaintances' who've had similar problems and how they've overcome them/approached them.

It sounds like you've already been able to make good connections with the members in your group though if they are asking you for tips so I'm sure you wont have a problem.

I hope no one jumps on me for the comments above as I'm just being honest here - if I was to become a C I would see the same challenge for myself when trying to help male members.

Definitely go along to the opportunity event and ask as many questions as you can to find out if it's for you. Also help your C out on the next promotion (coming up soon I think) as one of the aspects of the job you'll need to be ready for is the leaflet delivery during promotions. I went out with my C for 2-3 Sundays delivering plus delivered loads on my own to get an idea whether I could handle that part.

You will need to know a lot BUT from what I've heard the training is excellent so as long as you have a willingness to learn you should be fine.

So in summary, go along to the opportunity event and hear what they have to say - it's not like a time share talk so you are free to leave at the end :D

Hello :) I have been asked by my C to go to an opps meeting with the view to becoming a SW consultant now the thing is I have only been a SW member since the last week in January and although SW has been incredibly successful for me I have only ever done Extra Easy, I wouldn't know what a Red or Green day was if it bit me on the bum!
so I guess what I'm asking is surely you would have to know what SW is completely about?
because of my good losses I do get people asking me how to do things and I have actually helped a few members and I do tend to get people coming up to me after group to discuss bits ad pieces, but someone the other day asked me if they could have something as a healthy extra B and I didn't have a clue!!! Unlike Rosie who started this fantastic thread I don't really have a social life to worry about so if I could get more into it as opposed to just finding what works for me and sticking to it, I'm thinking I would be able to do it, I have no problems speaking in front of people, so would enjoy that aspect of it, and I'm guessing being a bloke is a bit of a novelty to a group as it seems 99.9% of the Consultants seem to be ladies, I could see that being a very positive thing. Any advice would be brilliant.

If I were you I would wait. I really think its a little early in your weight loss journey. Protect your own weight loss and get as close to target as you can. Being a consultant can be quite detrimental to your weight loss.

There are male consultants and they do inspire men to join too, which is only a good thing in my book.

As for the other plans, a consultant should try a week of all plans so they have a good understanding of them. As for not knowing healthy extras and syns etc, we cant know it all. In fact, I find it a little annoying to get texts asking me about healthy extras and syns, when members have access to the same tools as me for checking. Members need to be encouraged to check for themselves!

go along to the opps event but I really would wait a while to sign up to anything.

If I were you I would wait. I really think its a little early in your weight loss journey. Protect your own weight loss and get as close to target as you can. Being a consultant can be quite detrimental to your weight loss.

There are male consultants and they do inspire men to join too, which is only a good thing in my book.

As for the other plans, a consultant should try a week of all plans so they have a good understanding of them. As for not knowing healthy extras and syns etc, we cant know it all. In fact, I find it a little annoying to get texts asking me about healthy extras and syns, when members have access to the same tools as me for checking. Members need to be encouraged to check for themselves!

go along to the opps event but I really would wait a while to sign up to anything.

Thank you for your reply it's definately something to think about but as you say possibly in the future ;)

I agree with Jay. Since becoming a consultant I've whacked on loads of weight, so for that reason alone I'd say its definitely a bit early on in your own weight loss journey to become A consultant. Concentrate on yourself for now, there's plenty of time for you to think about it later :)

Last edited:
[/QUOTE]I was very down after my first group but now I've done 2, I'm a lot more happy about it. I didn't fast track, my group is small but I love it :)
Seeing members happy is what makes me happy :)[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear you didn't fast-trackd Dougal -- I know all the hard work you put in. I did, but I didn't. I got my 25 new members but, as my advert went in one week early (I had no control over that), 6 of those new members joined the week before my campaign officially started. And although it's obvious they joined because of my advert, the won't count them. So according to them I didn't get 25. Believe me, Yvonne is one very VERY unhappy bunny! My TD and area manager are still trying to get them to change their mind, but I'm not holding my breath.

But hey, it's group tonight, and I have such a lovely friendly group, that'll make me smile . . .

Hope they sort that out for you Yvonne, seems unfair. If they don't, at least you should have 25 members at the end of the 6 weeks, and you can just keep growing the group.
Have fun tonight! xx

Hope they sort that out for you Yvonne, seems unfair. If they don't, at least you should have 25 members at the end of the 6 weeks, and you can just keep growing the group.
Have fun tonight! xx

Thanks little miss slim. I was taking over a group, so I had 57 through the door last week. So I should have fast-tracked to stage 3. But heigh-ho, I'm not in this for the money. I'm just going to move on and learn to help my lovely members the best I can. It's made me see Slimming World Inc in a different light though . . .

First night yesterday and although i didnt fast track i did all i could. And once i recovered from being a nervous wreck actually enjoyed the rest of the night lol
I had 14 new in total so not bad considering the last consultant hardly had any new in 12 months.

Alot of work to get the numbers up but i am up for the challenge :D

The selling point about only working a few hours is true in the fact you do one group and yes you really do only work a few hours. But there is so much to get ready for your first group that you will be very busy in the run up to it.
I will now see how many hours are needed during the week, there is another campaign in a few weeks so will be out leafleting again, but i have a good bunch that are willing to help with that.
I dont have an active social life, my husband and son are happy and willing to help out when needed and they know how much this means to me.

If you are thinking about doing this, read the whole thread, it is a very emotional rollercoaster and can be physically demanding too. Ask as many questions as you need to and just be aware that for about 2 months you will be eating, sleeping and dreaming SW. I loved every minute of it and still do. My group are fab and just need some TLC to grow and increase their weight losses.

Nice post sounds like you have landed on both feet :)

First night yesterday and although i didnt fast track i did all i could. And once i recovered from being a nervous wreck actually enjoyed the rest of the night lol
I had 14 new in total so not bad considering the last consultant hardly had any new in 12 months.

The selling point about only working a few hours is true in the fact you do one group and yes you really do only work a few hours. But there is so much to get ready for your first group that you will be very busy in the run up to it.
I will now see how many hours are needed during the week, there is another campaign in a few weeks so will be out leafleting again, but i have a good bunch that are willing to help with that.
I dont have an active social life, my husband and son are happy and willing to help out when needed and they know how much this means to me.

If you are thinking about doing this, read the whole thread, it is a very emotional rollercoaster and can be physically demanding too. Ask as many questions as you need to and just be aware that for about 2 months you will be eating, sleeping and dreaming SW. I loved every minute of it and still do. My group are fab and just need some TLC to grow and increase their weight losses.

Good luck you sound the perfect consultant :)

So great to hear your first group went well. I loved reading your post. It's so important to hear the negatives about becoming a consultant but I think the same applies to the positive. Keep us updated on how you get on as the weeks go by. Would really love to hear about it.

And good luck at training at HO this week Cheryl! And anyone else who is going.

hi I went to the opportunity event on sunday and now I have an interview on tuesday eek!!!! will be reading this thread from back to front to get some tips..

also I have this which I use for myself..

ForumRunner_20130509_172818.png

do you think I should take it to the interview or would they not be interested in things like that?

any help would be appreciated thanks xx

Deffo take it because they employ you mostly because your passionate about slimming world and this shows that you are. If u find it useful your members could find it useful and you could maybe include a white board one day included in raffle prize for member to do their own

hi I went to the opportunity event on sunday and now I have an interview on tuesday eek!!!! will be reading this thread from back to front to get some tips..

also I have this which I use for myself..

View attachment 90096

do you think I should take it to the interview or would they not be interested in things like that?

any help would be appreciated thanks xx

What a great idea!! Love it - might have to make one for myself now, any excuse for a new white board and use of pens and post it notes.

So much you can do with it - ideas brimming in my head already (how sad am I?)

Not sad at all, sound very motivated and full of energy, just like my consultant. With an attitude like that you should go far :)

Back