A diary of a slimming world consultant

You only make 10p on each packet but I sell loads- the Rocky Roads are such a big seller!!

45 packets in 3 weeks for a group that has about 20 members is quite impressive!!

I was actually very surprised to learn just how little consultants earn from selling the hifi bars, recipe books and magazines when I asked at the opportunity event - I thought it would be a bigger chunk but does seem like SW are hogging the lion share of the profits there.

Just wish I wasn't addicted to the Chocolate and Caramel Hifi light bars but unfortunately I am so that was 5 boxes I bought on Monday ;)

Sorry, said I was going to shut up didn't I. Cellotaped my mouth (but I always look at this in cold hard cash).

Why would you want to shut up? I think a good dose of financial reality is also needed here on this thread as well as the good and bad points about SW consulting itself. I was afraid to be too hard nosed about it before so I'm glad someone has had the guts to speak up about it - I didn't want to seem uncaring and unpassionate (not sure that's actually a word, oh well) but I'm not willing to do it just to help others, if I'm going to bring myself out of retirement there has to be some profit involved ;)

Keep posting LoveSW ;)

I'm still thinking of popping along to to opp's evening, what would you say would be the best 5 questions to ask?

I feel that i already know the answer to the following questions but if you haven't read this blog and not a clue about the in depth time and commitment needed to succeed then i think these questions would be a good starting point (and put them on the spot in answering).

1. How much support do you offer consultants that are finding it hard to get new members through the door even though they have done the promotion to the best of their ability with juggling family and other work commitments?
2. Although you say that you open a group up for the population of 4000 people is it not realistic to consider the amount of european people that are now living in our communities that do not have problem with weight?
3. What is the last chance for you to back out without losing any money?
4. With normal business's you have the oportunity to sell during ownership, do you at slimming world offer any financial reward if i was to need to sell at any point in the future. (already know the answer but it would put them on the spot).
5. What is the average turn around of consultants in this area?

Anyway I'm going to shut up now, I didn't post to make anyone not follow their dreams, only to ensure you realize this is a sales business with a whole well thought out psychology behind it. I really do wish anyone who decides to invest their time and money the absolute best of luck x

That's exactly right LoveSW -- we consultants are actually glorified sales reps. We are there to promote brand loyalty, and sellsellsell SW. If you look at the plan for sucess document we fill in every week - it's all so sales oriented it's not true. They have (eventually) allowed me to fast-track, but they have now pushed me to open a second session in 3 weeks time. I feel I'm drowning. Still, I suppose I'll make my stake back sooner, and then I'll take stock . . .

I feel that i already know the answer to the following questions but if you haven't read this blog and not a clue about the in depth time and commitment needed to succeed then i think these questions would be a good starting point (and put them on the spot in answering).

1. How much support do you offer consultants that are finding it hard to get new members through the door even though they have done the promotion to the best of their ability with juggling family and other work commitments?
2. Although you say that you open a group up for the population of 4000 people is it not realistic to consider the amount of european people that are now living in our communities that do not have problem with weight?
3. What is the last chance for you to back out without losing any money?
4. With normal business's you have the oportunity to sell during ownership, do you at slimming world offer any financial reward if i was to need to sell at any point in the future. (already know the answer but it would put them on the spot).
5. What is the average turn around of consultants in this area?

1. if you don't get 25 on night 1, SW will say you haven't done enough. Simple. That's their answer. If you don't get enough you don't get support, you get pushed to do even more.
2. Depends where you live I guess
3. Even on day 1 or 2 of training you can leave and get your money back.
4. You can only sell your kit
5. Good question.

Remember, you are buying a business franchise here.

Night 2 done and not a bad first try even if i do say so lol

I have read some of these posts with interest.
I must be very lucky. My DM, TD and the rest of my team are a great source of support and advice.

I didnt fast track, the reply was.... But nobody died because you didnt. There is plenty of time to get there.
I average 5 new members a week, so in 4 weeks i have had 20 through the door.
I did all 3000 leaflets, 50 posters, A-frame, banner, community activities, social media, lapsed members, etc and only had 6 in night one.

I also live in a town that has had crap consultants, an uphill struggle on its own. But i get out there, in t-shirt & fleece with a SW shopping bag and let people know im here. I have car magnets on my car and will tell anyone who will listen about SW.
Its my business after all and i would do the same if i was selling the novelty cakes i make.

Yes, its a sales pitch but once through my doors, my members are welcomed week after week knowing that the product i am selling might just save their lives. That product isnt hifi bars or scan bran, its my time and passion in a plan that, for me atleast, has worked wonders.
I am still losing weight and intend to remain in a size 10 jeans until the day they take me t othat SW cloud in the sky pmsl :D

Fast tracking means more money, but i earned £38 for 2 hours after my venue fee etc. The amount of work i do inbetween is down to me. I work 30 hours a week, travel for an hour for work so in essence, i work full time door to door.
I charge everything on a Monday.I have my group on a Tuesday night, upload and stock take etc Wednesday, 30 min call to TD on Thursday. Member support Friday (30 mins or so) The rest of the time is mine.
On campaign weekends, 4 hours on a Sunday is spent leafleting with my friends. Most of the work i do for SW doesnt take all day and i take my time over it.
My Husband and Son help out when needed and are very supportive of my new job.

Yes, think long and hard.But if you can manage your time wisely, you dont need to feel like you have given anything up. If, however you have a hectic social life, i would think twice. You will eat, sleep and drink SW for the first few months running up to opening your group.

Good luck to you all xx

This thread is amazing. It gives so much information and the all important negatives. There are always negatives. I love that everybody has been so honest and shared their experiences and opinions. But this thread has also really worried me as a newly appointed consultant. It makes me feel like I'm making a huge mistake. I am in no way saying that all of you that have given up their information shouldn't have. I'm just saying in the hope that people like me read this that this thread is just that. Helpful, honest information. Just like the opportunity event tells one story this thread tells another. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread, the information is invaluable.

Every time I read this thread I get a sinking feeling. I am willing to put in the hard work and as much time as I can. I work full time and so many people say how it's near impossible to run a group and work full time. Am I biting off more than I can chew? And will I make a huge loss? As much as I know this wont make me money necessarily I don't want to end up in debt because of it. It's probably my own insecurities bubbling to the surface. I just want to help people with something I am passionate about. I don't want anybody to think I'm putting a downer on this thread because I'm not. Like I said I love everyone's honesty.

I certainly like honesty but I think it's very much a flip coin , my C and many others in the Stevenage area do really very well and have largish groups , even a new one that started in Feb now has over 70 and its quite a SW contest area ..... I'm looking at it as a long term investment and I know 1st hand it pays off with the right group right night and right attitude .
I don't believe that SW are a rip off when it comes to franchise in fact I think there pretty cheap , my friend has just forked out 25 k to buy a dog cleaning franchise with pretty much the same set up and now needs to find her client base , her risk is immense and apart from being able to sell her franchise on if it fails ( which we can't ) who really would buy a failing business with no clients .
There are down sides to every business but I truly believe in the product and I for one don't mind selling it xxxxxx

If it doesn't work out then u have lost a thousand pound. It's a lot of money but not enough to put u in debt. No it didn't work out for me but I gave it a try so now I know. Nothing ventured nothing gained x

It's the frustration for me....you support and support and support more, people don't come to group, don't respond to texts etc, its quite sad but it's also human nature.
I have about 70 members but rarely get 50 through due to holidays, sickness, work, non attendance.....then you need to explain all that to the TD each week!
I may have come across as negative but I love being a consultant, I love group and I love my members but the money you make is it just for the couple of hours group takes, it's all the rest.

I'm not going anywhere yet but sadly I don't think I will do this for years and years. I have a few things I want to save for and this money is helping at the moment.

Well done :) will they let you push it back? Do you have any training dates and group details? Normally thru like you in quick!

Thanks for your input everyone. Like Rosie said, nothing ventured nothing gained. Sometimes you have to try and if you fail at least you gave it your best shot. And that's what I intend to do. I'm going to give it everything I have. Thank you for your replies, sometimes its good to just get your thoughts out.

Congratulations babytreetrunk89! I have a wait before starting my training too but mine was because of holiday dates clashing with various things. Keep us posted on your progress.

Congrats to all you "newbies" getting through your interviews and looking forward to training dates - such an exciting time for you.

I've taken my 2nd group this week and absolutely loving it! I am on a high from the minute I get there til well past bed time haha!!
I'm thoroughly enjoying every moment - hopefully this feeling will last a bit longer too!

I got extremely apprehensive about halfway through the process......I work full time, my partner & I have hobbies that can often take half if not a whole day at the weekends - which I was not going to give up, I don't have children but I do have a partner who still needs feeding when he gets in from work!!

I was worried I was taking on too much, I wouldn't be able to do everything Slimming World expect but touch wood so far it has been fine.

Promotion:
Leafleting 4 times a year (3000 leaflets a time), if you can get enough helpers you can get it done in a couple of sundays, I had 3 helpers and we split it over 3 sundays (about 4 hours per sunday) just so it wouldn't be the whole day taken up with it. But we could do longer hours and get it done in 2.
Also the school were my group is held put leaflets into the kiddies book bags for me :)
Posters were more of an issue, only managed to get about 25 out, people just don't want to put them up for you!! and postering on lamp posts etc is a big no no here.
Hairdressers & the dentist I left magazines for their customers to read with the group details. You get 20 copies of old magazines within your franchise fee, but you can buy more for 10p per copy.
Adverts in local papers / magazines - artwork is done for by head office, you just email it to the magazine. Shop around for the best price if you have a couple of publications to choose from.
Editiorial - your story. Mine didn't get published in the local paper, but it did get put into the parish magazine!
Banner / A frame - luckily my boss lives on the main road through our village, so he let me put my banner on his fence for 2 weeks prior to opening, otherwise I wouldn't have anywhere for it. I would have just put it somewhere on a Friday night & taken it down sunday night before anyone from the council could take it away!! Risky but I would've done that to get it up. A frame I just tied to lamp post outside tesco & other shops in the village, as long as no one was going to trip or run over it, then left it there all day, picked it up after work.
Community Activities were another poor area for me. Mums & Tots groups are held when I'm at work and I didn't want to take too much time off for this as well as postering, I visited a couple of the main groups and sent posters & leaflets with a covering letter to the rest - not very personal I know, but it was better than nothing!
As I was taking over an existing group I sent letters to all of the "lapsed" members to say I was taking over and inviting them back. There were 44 letters sent and so far I've had 3 come back, so was worth it in my opinion.
Car magnets / stickers can be bought to advertise on your car - I blu tacked posters in the rear windows to save a few quid!!!
All of this promotion takes place over the 15 days before your group opens. It can seem a bit manic at the time, but if you plan carefully and realistically you shouldn't have a problem.

I got my 25 new members by night one and fast tracked, not everyone does and don't be too hard on yourself if you dont. All you can do is try your best, do as much promoting in those 15 days as you can, and what will be will be. My TD was lovely and really understood that I work full time so coudln't get as much done as I would've liked.

My group only had 20 members when I took over, I had 46 pay on my first night (took about £120) and 39 pay this week (took about £80), so not bad money wise but I am getting 40% earnings, if I hadn't fast tracked I would have gotten about £75 & £50. I don't imagine for a second it will always be like this, just enjoying it while it is!!!
So if money is an important factor to you, you need the members, an existing group with a decent number of existing members would be the way to go. If money is not so important, then thats irrelevant - enjoy growing your group at your leisure xx

The time I spend on slimming world stuff at the moment is maybe 2 hours tops on a wednesday, counting money for banking, quick stock take, doing handshake/up load to HO, and looking at & deciding who needs support this week.
Support on a Thursday or Friday takes me about 1/2 hour for texts & emails. Haven't had any that I need to ring yet, so that may increase the time spent slightly.

Training at Derby is fantastic! There is the cost of travelling & the hotel to consider, shop around and book early to ensure you get the best deal.
I'm off up there again a week Friday for days 3&4.

I'm not trying to persuade anyone either way, just letting you know my experience so far.
I wish everyone every success, whether they decide to give it a go or not. You really do have to think about it thoroughly & think about it some more... xx

Well I've now been given my group and have pre training on 29 th of June ...... Will be setting up group in September as we think its best to skip August as opening a group so late in summer and plus I'm on holiday seemed the best idea and SW were fine with that . Am very excited but nervous as its a new group but with mates rates my hall with a kitchen is only £11 an hour so well chuffed with that .
Let the roller coaster begin lol xx

Well I've now been given my group and have pre training on 29 th of June ...... Will be setting up group in September as we think its best to skip August as opening a group so late in summer and plus I'm on holiday seemed the best idea and SW were fine with that . Am very excited but nervous as its a new group but with mates rates my hall with a kitchen is only £11 an hour so well chuffed with that .
Let the roller coaster begin lol xx
Congratulations! X

Back