A Little confused about ketosis

SkinnyCow

Hi All,

This is my 4th day on CD and i am just a little confused about ketosis. Yesterday (being my 3rd day) i felt great, not hungry and loads of energy, so naturally thought i was in ketosis. Today (day 4), i feel exactly the same but when i got to work (GP surgery) i tested my wee and found that no ketones are showing up. IS THIS NORMAL?
:confused:

Some people don't show keytones - or not all the time, if they are very sensitive. If you are not feeling hungry, have bad breath, feel cold .... these are normally indicators of ketosis. It mormally happens around day 3 to 4 ... have you had anything with carbs in at all?? If not, you probably are in ketosis!

give it another day. if u r tested in any of the pinks u r in ketosis. make sure u r drinking plenty of water cos if u arent u will test in the high pinks and u wanna really stay above the beige but below the last 2 pinks.

enjoy the energy whether u r in ketosis or not! if u really arent yet u will be in the next day or two

xxxxx

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your reply. I have stuck to the diet and not eaten a thing since i started and have only drank water and black coffee with calorie free sweetners. I have cold hands and have been freezing since day 2, deffo got bad breath because i keep knocking myself out, but as i said have tested wee and dipstix have not changed colour.

Never mind, as long as i am losing weight and feeling ok that is all that counts (isn't it).

xxx

i reckon u r in ketosis then. as said above, the ketostix dont work for everyone and u must be one of those.

how r u finding the diet so far?

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your reply. I have stuck to the diet and not eaten a thing since i started and have only drank water and black coffee with calorie free sweetners. I have cold hands and have been freezing since day 2, deffo got bad breath because i keep knocking myself out, but as i said have tested wee and dipstix have not changed colour.

Never mind, as long as i am losing weight and feeling ok that is all that counts (isn't it).

xxx

Sure sounds like ketosis to me....Im sat here with my fleece jacket on as Im soooo cold....even thinking about getting my gloves....!:sigh:

Hi Karen & Flirty (sorry did not see your name first time around)

u must be one of those.

how r u finding the diet so far?

That is me alright i can't do anything normal lol.

I am quite suprised at how well i have coped on the diet (1st time). First day was the hardest but so far "touch wood" it has been great. I will have to see the benefit on weigh day (day 5 - tomorrow) then i will no if it has worked. Feeling thinner already though because i wore my work uniform for the first time since Monday and my trousers are loose.

woohoo! loose uniform is a great sign. cant wait to see how much u lose! i have restarted the diet a couple of times cos i messed up over xmas and it was my birthday this last weekend PLUS i have changed cdc this week. she wants me to act as though i am doing the diet for the first time so i guess my slate is clean too! so..heres to our first week!

Hi Sonkie,

Missed your message too (how thick am i). I am having waves of coldness, one minute hot next minute cold, do you think i might be going through the change ha ha (too early for me yet).

lol. i started 2 weeks before xmas and lost 11lbs. then had 2 weeks over xmas off... regained it all. then lost 15lbs and hav had the last weekend plus monday off because of my 30th birthday. monday morning went to see my new cdc (other one evaporated or ran off) and her scales weigh me noticable different to my scales so am going to go by hers and hers alone from now on. havent regained all the weight so just getting on track now and not using anymore excuses to have time off. i find SSing pretty easy so should never have had xmas or bday off. i do struggle some days but generally think its fine. now just need to get back into ketosis!!!

Well done you Karen for even making it back, i think i would find it hard to come back after a brake so i think i will have to stick to it to the letter so to speak.

If you are not in Ketosis does it make you feel hungry?

I am in work now and guess what, it is dinner time, i have locked myself away in my room so i cant smell the food.

being in ktosis does take away the physical hunger but the emotional/habit hunger is another matter altogether!

it is hard to get back on the diet after a break so my advice to anyone is to not have the break at all! each time is more difficult than the time before but its a matter of having to get the weight off for me. giving up is not an option! i will beat the bulge if it kills lol. at least i'll fit in the coffin lol!!

make sure u let us know how u do when u get weighed!!

i think u will be pleasantly suprised!! in my first 3 days i had dropped 5lb and by day 7 that was 10lb. i have double to lose than u but i reckon u will be in for a suprise!

Let just hope hun xxxx I had better go now and do some work, between this site and going the loo (i think i have done 10000 steps today) i have not done any work.

Catch u all later xxx

Hope this helps?

Ketones will spill into the urine ONLY when there is more in the blood than is being used as fuel by the body at that particular moment.
You may have exercised or worked a few hours previously, so your muscles would have used up the ketones as fuel, thus there will be no excess. You may have had a lot of liquids to drink, so the urine is more diluted. Perhaps the strips are not fresh, or the lid was not on tight and some moisture from the atmosphere got in. Some low carbers NEVER show above trace or negative even ... yet they burn fat and lose weight just fine. If you're losing weight, and your clothes are getting looser, you're feeling well and not hungry all the time .. then you are successfully in ketosis. Don't get hung up on the strips; they're just a guide, nothing more.

Low Carb Diet Tips & Basics - Ketosis & Ketone Test Strips

Thank you for that Mini,

Makes me feel a whole lot better. I had drank about 3pts of water when i tested it so it could be that.

Look at the weight you have lost, fantastic x

Back