A quest for the old happy Em

Well done you! I went too and while the refurbishment was good at our gym as well (apart from the changing rooms and showers that actually needed the money but never saw a penny) it was the busiest I've seen it in over 3.5 years and there were about a dozen people wandering around including me just waiting for a piece of equipment to become free.

I eventually got on a treadmill as someone got off and then I was too scared to get off it as I knew I wouldn't get on anything else. How boring. I did stay on it for much longer than I thought I'd manage and at a faster pace so I was happy with that. I then had to drive home sweaty though as the cubicles were both taken so if I got showered I knew I'd have no where to get changed afterwards!! All in all it confirmed I was doing the right thing in quitting. Gave my notice so I can leave at the end of Feb and start the new gym in March.

Syns today: 7 :D and only used one B

Hi EmmyLou.

Weigh in wasn't too bad I guess:rolleyes:.

There were quite a few new starters last night, so I wasn't alone.

I think that the dog or kitty would pack a little case and plead cruelty to the nearest RSPCA shelter:D:D.

You've started now Sarah-Lou, all the new books, raring to go and your first week will see a lovely loss on the scales :D So no matter how big that number it will go down. Having a ticker on your signature is nice to track your progress too.

Nice to have some other new starters too so you didn't feel alone. I'm hoping if I get the classes at the doctors on Saturday that there will still be new starters with new years resolutions that haven't managed to get to a class yet so I won't be alone. Last time I wasn't going in alone so I think it will be quite scary, you were very brave to go to class that first time by yourself.

Well yesterday was a bit of a naughty one at pizza hut but I did only eat about 400 calories all day before hand so in terms of calories not horendous, in terms of slimming world - disastrous!

Back to it today and only half a syn for some jelly so far. Tea will be syn free chips and quorn nuggets so on for a fairly low syn day today.

Going to have a bit of Wii time tonight too as I'm too tired for the gym after a day out on site with work but want to do something at least. Tomorrow will be spent out all day too but it's exercise and I'm hoping to gym as well. Should be a bit quieter as it's Friday but all the newbies are still hanging around so maybe not!

I've bought myself a heart rate monitoring watch (without an annoying chest strap) so I can keep an eye on it while I gym or exercise in any way at all as my thyroid problem seems to make my heart go a little crazy at times - even though my meds are all correct. I find the stabbing chest pains a little worrying (obviously!) so I need to keep an eye on my heart rate so I can slow down before it gets that far - the problem is my heart gives in long before my lungs do so I never feel tired or out of breath like I need to stop so I don't get any warning it's got too high. I think it will all improve as my fitness levels do as that's why it shoots up, because it's not used to physical exertion. So today I've been a little addicted to pressing the buttons :D. My heart rate went from 64 to 77 just going across the car park, then up to 130 after climbing the stairs to the second floor :eek: Really need to improve my fitness levels!

The gym actually resembles a more modern gym now, they still have the collection of classics like bikes, treadmills and rowers but they had some new exciting machines that I hadn't seen before, but are probably old hat at some wealthier gyms. There was a bike which had pedal handlebars and a machine which looked like stairs, which I found fascinating, I didn't go on it as I wasn't sure what to expect, but this guy went on it and the stairs rotated, so it was like an endless staircase. I also liked the fact that they now have TV's so I could distract myself whilst excercising. which made 10 minutes on the bike fly by!
What's your new gym like?

Ours is a bit more of a personal training gym now Senga with a matted area and punch bags. Fine if you've got the spare cash to pay for a PT! All the new cardio machines are nice though, same make as before just newer versions.

Anyone spotted the new colour my slimming world sticker is rocking right now......yep, that's a purple one people, 3 stone :D

:talk017:

Looks like last weeks little gain was just * week on its way, as was the 2.5lb gain mid week (which I never would have seen and got annoyed about if I could just stop getting on the scales more than once a week!). I was 13st 2.7lbs so just past the 3 stone mark of 13st 3lb. I'm really pleased as I've been trying so much harder this week and upped my exercise too.

My other big thing this morning was when I stepped on the scales and waited for it to ask me if I was me or my boyfriend (it's a bit like the Wii in that it knows who's stepped on it by their weight - but when your weights are similar it has to ask who you are). I remember the day it asked me the first time as I was really chuffed it meant I was nearly the same weight as him for the first time since we've been together. So imagine the grin on my face when I realised it had done it's weighing and hadn't asked me!!! That's because I'm now a clear stone lighter than him :)

Well done EmmyLou! So pleased for you:D.How did it go at the doctoes? My surgury apparently don't give out SW vouchers so I was quite disappointed when I rang to find out. Never mind I feel that I am lucky to have the support on minimins. Have a good week. X

Aw thanks Jane, you were right last week when you said the scales would be nicer to me this week :)

The doctor looked at me blankly like he had no idea what I was on about! So not a positive sign. He did ring reception to ask if she knew anything about them and she said the secretary would know but she's not in till Monday. The receptionist took my details and said someone will ring me on Monday but it sort of rang a bell with her so that's a bit more positive. I think like most things on the NHS it's a postcode lottery as to whether your health authority does them. I know most of Bristol does but I actually live just outside Bristol which is covered by a different one - it was just the closest town to put on here for my location!

He didn't bother weighing me though so must have thought I looked fat enough ;) He said the only thing he knew that they offered was some 'Proactive' course or something which looking at the form and the brief description of what it covered looked like it was aimed at really really big people. I wasn't insulted as I think he was just telling me what they did as he had no idea about the SW vouchers. But one of the things was learning how to fall correctly as us fatties go down hard and could hurt ourselves if not done properly (it didn't say all that exactly but you get the idea!). I guess it's good they do a reintroduction to physical activity programme at all though.

Had a phone call this morning from the doctors giving me a free phone number to call so looks like I might be getting a course of slimming world classes, yay! I've rung the number and left my details and she said someone would call me back this week, the co-ordinator for my area or something. So hopefully I won't have to go to the trouble of meeting the co-ordinator or anything and they'll just send me the vouchers as I've already seen my GP. So now I'm really looking forward to rejoining a class next week - depending on when I get the vouchers.

I made the butternut squash hot pot off the slimming world website this weekend so have leftovers for lunch today - syn free. Just as well as it's hideous, yuck. Won't be making that again. Essentially it's a bit of pearl barly, butternut squash and carrot floating in vegetable stock.

Sounds so delicious!
I had pasta in a cheese and ham sauce it was in from a Tin!! From sainsburys, didn't expect much but it was lovely!
I was proud of myself for going to the gym, won't be able to go until next weekend though as I am working late every night. Boo. Should be good for the diet though!

Doesn't it just! I threw the rest away. I don't like waste but it really was awful. Last nights tea was syn free chips, quorn sausages and peas with a skinny cow mint lolly to finish (lush and only 4.5 syns). So another 100% day and I'm hoping that means I'm back in the zone. Gyming tonight and the scales still have me at 13st 2.7 this morning (I know, I know, I clearly haven't learnt a thing from the last two weeks of scale scares!). I'm not looking for a loss yet this week, I was just chuffed they still stayed that low and I'll hopefully keep hold of my 3 stone sticker this week.

Be nice if I could lose a couple more pounds before going to London on the 5th. I also have a meal out this weekend but it's carvery again so just veg for me and something a bit naughty for pud.

Todays lunch is soup. I have a few tins left in the cupboard from when I was calorie counting which I need to use up. They are all weight watchers or low calorie but as we all know that doesn't mean low syn! 8 syns for my 160 calorie soup today :-( I'll have to have chick pea dahl and rice for tea to stay under 10 syns for the day. I can have that for lunch tomorrow then too though.

I got my call back from the area co-ordinator about free SW classes and I actually have to go meet her to discuss 'stuff'. Hopefully then she'll let me have the vouchers!! I'm seeing her at 4-30 today. I found out that a friend of mine has joined SW too recently and lost over half a stone so far but she goes to the Tuesday night class that my Auntie and cousin said had a useless consultant. I asked my friend and she said she was ok but she didn't have any other SW consultants to compare her to which is fair enough. So I'm torn now between going to a class with a mate who I don't see all that often normally and who it'd be really good to go with, or going to the Thursday night class with a different consultant who might also be rubbish for all I know, and go by myself. I guess I can join her class and then change to the other if she's a rubbish consultant.

I'm not sure if you still get 4 holiday weeks a year with SW where you can miss a week and not have to pay, but I'd use 3 of those per year for 2xdentist and 1xhygienist apointment as they are always Tuesday night. I also can't join for 3 weeks as I'm in London next Tuesday and so would miss my first weigh in, as well as have a food diary that said I ate what I liked for 4 days whilst I was there! That wouldn't look like I was taking it seriously and I don't want her thinking that as I will be making the heathiest choices I can while I'm away. It's just going to be calorie counting rather than SW that's all.

My meeting with the lady about SW classes went well yesterday. It seems like 'Fresh Steps' is a well run scheme to help people get their lives back on track in a positive way be it stress management, giving up smoking, getting back to exercise or weight loss (sorry, weight management, they can't call it 'loss' any more as it carries negative connotations - can you believe that?!). But what good is a scheme like that if no doctor knows about it to refer you? It was only through using this forum I really knew you could get the SW classes and asked the doctor - who to be fair did find out for me. But I think for such common problems like smoking and weight loss they should really know the service exists.

To cut a long story short the vouchers should be in the post to me in the next fortnight which ties in nicely to the Tuesday night class I plan on joining with a friend which I can't join for 3 weeks due to being away anyway. She said if you lose 5% of your body weight you're also entitled to one more set of 12 vouchers as you've shown you're taking it seriously. So fingers crossed for that :) I have to give her a ring 8 weeks into it to let her know how I'm doing and then meet up again at the end of the 12 weeks to see if I've managed the 5% loss. She's kind of like a counsellor and you can have up to 8 hours of her time if you want. That's not really what I'm after but it's good to know the help is there for people who do want it.

Think I'll keep my stats on here the same and keep weighing on a Sunday morning as a morning weigh in is more consistent than a Tuesday night weigh in. Plus I know how big I started on my own scales so that's my marker for how much I've lost overall.

Glad to hear that Highbridge is keeping up with the norm from the rest of the country! I have been weighing myself everyday and it has been frustrating! I know I shouldn't do it, but I have been so good, maintaining the 1000 cals all week so far, everyone is going to Dominos tomorrow, which is going to suck!

Just half a pound for me this week. I weighed on Saturday and I'd lost 2.5 pounds but it shot up again on Sunday and as Sunday is my official day for weighing then 0.5 it has to be! Not too bothered as it's still going down :)

You are doing really well, keep at it! I didn't do too well at the weekend, I blame my uninvited visitor who is still residing with me! I will be back on track this week though. At least it's still coming off!

You've lost 6lb in two weeks Senga, that's amazing work. I'd take over a month to shift that much!

The weekend ended up being a rather off plan one in the end. It started so well with a cereal bar for breakfast on Saturday before go karting and then some chick pea dahl and rice for lunch while others tucked into naughty cheesy lasagne. Mum made low syn cheese cake again too. Then Mum laid on nibbles from the frozen party food left from xmas for tea as we had the whole family down for the weekend for my brother and Dad's birthday (hence the annual karting trip). Sunday was then a carvery meal out for Nan's birthday which wasn't too bad except the chocolate cheesecake for desert and then more party nibbles for tea again!! :eek:

I think maybe my head has been in a rather dangerous and silly place since finding out about the SW vouchers. It's as if it's telling me to eat what I fancy and enjoy food before starting class as if to make the most of it. Which is fine if I wasn't already on a diet but I am and I'll be undoing my hard work if I carry on with that attitude. I am in London for 4 days next weekend which will surely involve a degree of enjoying myself ;) but I'm hoping to be 100% on plan from now till Saturday morning.

On a positive note though I tried on two pairs of size 16 trousers I had in my 'keeping for some time in the slimmer future' clothes box and they fitted! They are very large 16's but I can feel my fairly new size 18 work trousers are looser than when I bought them so I'm now about a size 17 I think.

The go kart seat was definitely more accomodating to my proportions than in previous years too and it picked up speed much faster with less weight on board. By next January I hope to be at my optimum racing weight to give my brothers and boyfriend a run for their money! There was only 1 second between our four times but both my brothers are 1-2 stone lighter than me. My boyfriend is just better than me though as he's heavier and would probably beat both my brothers if he were lighter!

Back