A quest for the old happy Em

Given the texture of them Jane I wouldn't be surprised if they scrubbed my insides thoroughly on their way through!!

Still on the ryvita today, couldn't stomach the scan bran. Yesterday went a 'little' off plan as I was on a training course and we all know what a nightmare buffets are. For a change they had veggie friendly stuff besides a cheese sandwich - little pizza fingers. So I had far too many of them as everyone else was having the sausage rolls and pastry things. I still don't think I've had more than the isolated 100% day since xmas and the scales had me gaining that pound I lost week again this morning :sigh:

Today should be ok, 100% on plan so far and tea is a 5 bean chili in Wetherspoons before ice skating. It's my first bit of exercise since xmas as I've not felt up to any since having the flu. I think that might be hindering my losses. I'm planning on going to the gym on Friday as it should be quieter even with all the newbies, and I can see what they've done to the place in the refurbishment.

I have a few things coming up in the next month or so, birthday meal out for my Nan, a few days in London so we'll be eating bad for days on end, a spa day with lunch included that my parents got me for xmas and my own birthday meal out in Feb. My new target is to be 13stone for my birthday so 5lb to go in 5.5 weeks. Going to be cutting it fine I think. My birthday meal is a chinese all you can eat buffet so I'll probably put it all back on again in one night ;) Mmmmm, it'll be good though!

Wow, ice skating is harder than I remember!! I'll have a new found respect for the celebs on Dancing on Ice on Sunday night now. Luckily no slip ups though so just aching leg muscles today rather than bruises or broken bones. It was a really good fun workout though so I must have burnt off plenty of calories.

Yesterday was 12.5 syns in the end so not bad at all. Fingers crossed today will be another 100% day with maybe half hour of Wii to loosen my legs up.

I didn't make it onto the the Wii in the end last night, don't know where the evening went. I made some cous cous cake and decided to try putting some frozen raspberries in it too as it was a raspberry and cranberry muller light I was using. Turned out much nicer than my first attempt with the mandarin flavour (wasn't sweet enough).

I've brought some for my snack today at work but I'll probably eat it in secret at my desk as if I eat it at the lunch table people will ask what I'm eating and then turn their nose up at it! I don't think they understand how desperate times call for desperate measures and SW dieters have come up with all sorts of ingenious uses of food to keep it 'free'!!

My legs are still killing me from skating. It's not the usual muscles that ache from walking or cycling too much, it's right at the very top of my legs and the inner thigh.....must be from trying to hold my ankles straight on the ice. Clearly not a muscle I use very often! Still going to try and at least swim at the gym tonight if nothing else. If that extra pound stays on till Sunday I'll be gutted as I'll have to put my ticker back :(

Despite skating Wednesday and swimming Friday night I put on half a pound this week :-( I guess the exercise and being back on plan will take a week to catch up though and this week will be TOTM too.

Our company canteen closes today (short term cut backs as usual) so from tomorrow I'll have kitchen facilities to use instead, including a microwave. I already have some leftovers I'll be heating up tomorrow :) So while it's sad to see it close it means I can finally bring in a more varied lunch as I can now heat it up.

I made some tomato soup from the November/December SW magazine on the weekend and it was quite nice. I'm not a huge fan of tomato soup normally but it was really quick to make so I may well make that to bring to work too in the future.

Looking forward to episode 2 of Biggest Loser tonight. While I think it's bad a show is promoting such ridiculous exercise levels per day and encouraging people to lose unhealthy amounts of weight per week it's still enjoyable tv! Anything about weight loss on tv and I'll watch it. I enjoyed 'My big fat diet' show that was on last year too. That was far more sensible saying it should only be followed for a fortnight.

I just find it hard to believe their isn't more objection by the medical community to such a show promoting such unhealthy behaviour. That said a friend was reccomended 'Lighter Life' by their doctor and everyone knows the body should always get at least a 1000 calories a day to avoid starvation mode kicking in, so advocating a 500 calorie a day diet seems odd to me.

Hi Emmylou, hope you had a good weekend.
Sorry about the teeny tiny gain but I bet that it will come flying off when * week arrives!

I hate the biggest loser etc. Those poor people get shouted at like they're worthless fat people, which I don't think is going to help them deal with their issues that have made them overweight. I just imagine them all after they've been sent home, wandering round like lost puppies waiting for someone to tell them what to do, then shrugging and going to buy a mars bar. I can't see that they're being given any skills for sustainable healthy living!

I think the point IS for the body to enter starvation mode with these extreme diets. After a few days of clinging to the food it gets, the body gives in and simply starts eating itself (ketosis?). Obviously this could be really dangerous for people who don't have massive amounts of weight to lose, which is why there is such concern about ebay sales and stuff of these diets, but for the obese and overweight there is generally plenty of fat reserves to get eaten. I just couldn't even think about doing it. I am weak-willed enough on SW, there's no way I could put up with being that hungry! :)

Great news about the canteen (sorry to the canteen staff...) - that gives you so much more control over your lunches and allows you to plan better :)

We do all feel sorry for the canteen staff as they're lovely but it'll be nice to have somewhere to wash cups instead of the ladies loos (in the sink obviously!) and be able to heat stuff up. Just had a final lunch of potato skins with cheese and onion.....they were just far more tempting than my ryvita and it is the last chance to have them afterall :)

I think they push the people too hard on that show, like shouting at the woman on the orange team for not trying hard enough when she had an injury! You're right prawnchopsuey, it's not teaching them sustainable eating habits or anything. It's reliant on them wanting to keep the weight off because they feel better rather than addressing any emotional reason for the weight gain.

Hi EmmyLou, sorry about the small gain but I am sure that you will have a happier experience with the scales next week.Hope that you have a good week.X

Thanks Jane, hope you've had a good week. You've just reminded me that I need to put an update on the January challenge thread....think 5lb was a bit ambitious of me :D

ha ha ha

I hope I am not your 'skinny friend' although I love the idea that somewhere in cyberspace people think I am skinny.
If this isn't about me, how embarrassing!

I had to reread my diary till I found the bit about the salad in Wetherspoons and yes of course that's you silly! You are my skinny friend :D

Good luck with the diet and gym today. I'm still planning to go to the gym tonight too - and quit. Then I can join the new one instead after I 'work out' my notice ;)

Ha Ha Ha

Skinny, that's almost impressive as the 'plus size' on America's next Top Model (size 10 US)

I will be soon though and then I will throw out all the fat clothes, instead of hiding them in the back of the wardrobe.

First day of the 'new' canteen arangements today at work. It was nice to be able to heat up my rice with the new microwaves but for some reason they haven't left all the knives and forks for people to use even though they've installed a dishwasher!? So don't know what they intend to do with all the old stuff from the canteen. Luckily I had a tea spoon on my desk so I ate my rice and yoghurt with that - makes a muller last much longer!

100% on plan today so far. Can I do two 100% days in a row!? Yesterday was 1A 2B's and 12 syns in the end. So far today I'm on 1B and half a syn. Need something quick for tea so might have chick pea dahl and rice.....oooh, and I can heat up the other half a can for my lunch tomorrow! Chick pea dahl at work, whatever next, the luxury :D

Thanks prawnchopsuey :) (loving the new profile pic btw). I hope I've got my SW head back on at last. It's really brought it home to me this week how much I need to get back to it after gaining for the first time since September (I didn't even gain at xmas so that's how bad a gain is to me).

I still keep hoping on the scales and they're showing a further gain of another 0.8 of a pound now. If that continues till Sunday I'm going to be so upset. Of course the logical solution is to stop using the scales every day but if you've been following my diray up till now you'll know that's easier said than done ;)

Hi there EmmyLou, just stumbled across your diary.

I have been reading it for a hour or so..stops me snacking LOL. Got to the bit about scan bran and it reminded me of my 'first time', I bought some at SW meeting about 2 years ago. My mate said they were just like Ryvita but a bit crunchier??They so were NOT!! I remember the consultant drawing the raffle and then me making coughing, choking sounds and going bright red in the face and other members running around frantically trying to get me a glass of water!!NEVER again...Far too embarrasing. LOL

You are doing so well. I am restarting again tonight and have started my diary, sort of, I will be starting it tommorow for real.

It seems to help reading other peoples diaries, you don't feel so 'on your own' when things go a bit t~ts up during a bad week.

Thanks for the inspiration. x x

A new reader, yay. Hello Sarah-Lou :)

I love reading all the other diaries too as it's great to know you're not alone no matter what you're going through. Others are also stressing about big or little gains, I've found lots of other scales addicts and some are even worse than me :eek: and lots of people trying to fit a diet that needs lots of planning into a hectic lifestyle.

I remember being told 'like Ryvita' too. Such a bunch of liars!! Maybe I have soft teeth, who knows, but they're NOT like ryvita. I had to chuckle at the image of you in class though. Are you going back to class? I'm hoping to restart at proper class soon if my trip to the doctors goes well on Saturday. I'm hoping like others on here I can get some classes for free as my weight is still classed as 'obese'.

Good luck and I'll keep an eye out for your diary. x

Hi there EmmyLou

Yeah, I am starting a proper class tonight. I have been many times and have failed many times too...but this time I am determined!!

I used to be a terrible scales addict, so my hubby threw them away...I was horrified at first..but then I felt like a big weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I don't think it has not been lifted off my belly or boobs, but mentally it was easier. I am NOT buying any new scales as i will just give up..I will just advise my slimming consultant tonight that it may be to the benefit of a local charity if she installs a swear box near the weigh-in check-in to cope with the torrent of abuse I may give her poor scales every Tuesday night (if I've been less than truthfull with the Syns) LOL....

I don't know what I weigh at the mo, it won't be pretty *sighs*, but I'm hoping that it will be the heaviest I will be from today.

No, no more scan bran. Good for emergency roof tiles or as a x small mouse mat, but in my opinion not fit for human or animal consumption... Meh!!

Keep up the good work x x

Hope WI tonight isn't too scary and just remember like you say, it's the last time you'll see a number that big on the scales again!

My boyfriend has threatened to put the scales somewhere (probably where he hides the sweets) but I'd be so lost without them I'd be a nightmare. My excuse is that I don't go to class so I NEED the scales at home. It amuses me no end when he shuts the kitchen door and goes off to retrieve the sweets....it's a tiny 2 bed house so there's only so many places in a kitchen they can be! I don't go looking for them though as then I'd be annoyed with myself. I still have lots of xmas Jelly Belly jelly beans as a result of his hiding so it's not all bad.

Can you imagine how grumpy the cat or the dog would be with you if you fed them scan bran!?

Fingers crossed for a nice class with a good consultant for you tonight :D

I did it! I went to the gym and the refurb is lovely (if that's a word you can use to describe a gym?) I will be going back tomorrow. Day One is almost over and I have been good!

Back