A quest for the old happy Em

WI sunday had me losing 1lb in the end so I was very pleased with that after 2 weeks of good losses before that too. It seems exercising in a necessary evil if I'm going to continue to lose weight, exercise and sticking rigidly to the plan of course. That part might hinder my losses this week as we all had a Chinese on Saturday night after having a family day out go karting. It was absolutely gorgeous though so if I can get back on plan now, exercise all week and manage a STS next Sunday I think it might almost seem worth it...maybe.

I could feel it in my arms after the first 10 minute stint on the track Saturday, and then I had two more 10 minute goes out there. I thought I'd really be feeling it in my arms and be unable to move them without pain for the usual 3 days afterwards, like every time I've ever been karting. You're just tensed up on the steering wheel hauling the kart round the bends and it feels like doing weights but for 10 minutes solid, it's no wonder I always wake up the next day in agony. Not this time though!!! A mild 'I've worked my muscles' feeling but certainly not pain. Makes doing the weights and the weights machine all worthwhile as I really must be getting them used to working hard for them not to be aching now - yay!

I did my best karting ever too, beating my fastest time from previous years (same place, same track), getting the second best time of the group (my brother had a 1.5 stone weight advantage, a faster kart as my other brother found out when they swapped and he still only beat me by 0.5 sec), and possibly most important of all, I finally suceeded in overtaking my boyfriend and beating his time ;-) I tried not to gloat too much....karting really does bring out the competitive side in all the family. My cousins boyfriend rammed nearly every one of us at some point, drove into the side of me and almost gave me whiplash! and another time forced me into the tyres till I pushed back and won out :) Everyone learnt not to play chicken on a bend with me as I won't back down. It's a kart, not a car, what's the worst that can happen if we smash into eachother!? :) Luckily I don't drive on the roads insuch a reckless fashion.

So I'm just 2lb away from regaining my 3 stone award. This week I have no naughty meals out planned and a SW friendly meal round a friends house.

Fingers crossed for another good week.

I hope so Jane as it's so upsetting to know I had not only the 3 stone one I'm now aiming for, but the 3.5 stone one too, albeit very briefly!

Yesterday was a good day on plan, just 8.5 syns. Today is looking good so far as well and I've been to the gym before work too :) On the advice of a friend who's into his weights I changed what I was doing today and it felt much better. Same number of sit ups, just in larger sets, which I definitely felt more. I also lifted bigger free weights and put extra weight on the machines, but did fewer reps that were harder to do. Felt like I worked my bingo wings harder as a result and it's always satisfying to pick up the next biggest weight and realise that actually you can lift it.

Just finished the last of my scones from the weekend, they turned out really well. I've already bought some more cottage cheese to make another batch. I was surprised how dough like the mixture was actually and it was lucky my boyfriend remembered they were in the oven and said 'what happened to the scones' as I leapt off the sofa and got them out just in time! Teach me not to set the timer won't it.

Another day on plan yesterday and another gym session this morning. Mean scales this morning so I'm going to ignore them!

Fingers crossed for another 100% day!

Gym again this morning so that's 3 goes this week and I'm really pleased with that. The scales are reporting a STS this week which might hopefully drop a bit by Sunday but so long as it's not a gain I guess I'm not too worried.

I had a look at that 30 Day Shred everyone raves about and thought I might give it a go on the weekend. Probably kill me of course but worth a try!

A STS this week, bit rubbish but it's better than a gain. I did do the 30 day shred in the end and after all the chat on here about how awful it was and how much it hurt the next day I was very pleased to find I could do it all the way through just fine, and that I wasn't aching at all today! The ab stuff especially I found to be ok which was a nice surprise as I was worried doing sit ups at the gym with the rolling frame thing maybe wasn't as effective as straight forward sit ups.

I was feeling so good about it and a bit annoyed at the STS that I thought I'd do it again today. I'm not gyming tomorrow so it'll make up for that too. My legs were less jelly like after finishing today than yesterday and I think it was a bit easier too as I knew what to expect. So fingers well and truly crossed that I'm pain free tomorrow too :D

No pain this morning, but a gain on the scales :-( Another 0.7lb on since yesterday. I'm not going to let that bother me too much though, I mean I'm sticking to the plan and I've been doing a lot of exercise so it could be muscle - I can definitely see something in my arms now.

My neck aches a tiny bit though and I think that's the ab work on the dvd. There's a reason sensible people use the rolling frame to do sit ups as no matter how good my form is sit ups always strain my neck.

A day off the exercise today, then back to the gym tomorrow morning.

Well yay me, back at the gym this morning and went a bit harder than usual thanks to yet another gain on the scales this morning pushing me. I'm 1.1lb heavier than Sunday.

Thankfully I resisted naughty stuff at Wetherspoons last night and went for the good old 5 bean chili or else I'd have thought that gain was entirely deserved! I'm out for an Indian on Thursday night this week so that really isn't going to help things but it is my boyfriends 40th so a special occasion :) Can't ask him to share a naan on his birthday ;-) Mum might share with me though to halve the calories....

Justed popped in to say hello Emmylou. I think that the scales must be lying to you as you are doing all the right things. They can't be believed in the middle of the week. x

I hope you're right Jane, as I don't want to believe them. We've just got a new telly that links to the internet so I can see the wifi scales website on there now....a huge big weight chart for the last 18 months on a 42" screen....looks like a major mountain range with all the ups and downs!! Bit depressing to see the low weight and 3.5 stone award I reached and haven't seen for a year :-( The telly is rather big but it was the boyfriends choice so he could read the text on his Xbox games easier. I'm sure the Wi-fit will look nice on it too though if I can book a slot to actually use it when he's not using it for Skyrim!

I probably shouldn't be buying him another game for his birthday tomorrow but I couldn't think what else to get him. Really looking forward to a meal out, not sure what to wear but probably a skirt now I've got back into wearing them. I've worn more skirts/dresses in the last couple months at work than in the 10 years I've worked here put together. I'm wearing a new one from Asda today, just caught my eye. A floaty knee length black cotton one with bright flowers all over it. Should be ok for summer too.

No gym this morning as I got up too late so I think I'll give Jillian another whirl tonight.

Just been informed it's my working at heights medical at work tomorrow. Filled out all the questionnaires (so much easier back in the days when I could just say 'no' to everything!). These days I need to list my medication and thyroid condition and try and remember how to spell them :)

The first one was about a month after I found out I was ill and had just started my meds and I got a very unsympathetic bloke who basically said you're 4 stone overweight tubby, you're not even trying to blow into the peak flow meter (even though I told him I was exhausted from the flexibility tests which involved swinging my arms about to which he said that's rubbish, that can't tire you out), my sight was awful and my hearing was borderline needing a hearing aid!! All the thyroid's fault of course (as I'd told him numerous times but he wasn't listening). He had me believing for ages that my hearing was a serious problem and was only going one way from there.

I was so sure that by the next one two years later I'd be 10 st 7lb again, be wide awake and fixed etc etc. I wasn't. I was then at my biggest at over 16 stone and now 6 stone overweight. Although she was a very nice lady and was really understanding and sympathetic. I did manage to blow into the peak flow thing and do the physical tests, my eye sight and hearing were fine too and she couldn't believe she was testing the same person as the results she had in front of her from the previous time.....just shows how much the total exhaustion had got to me that I couldn't even see or hear properly as my brain was working so slow :-( Nice to know it's just the tinitus I have (which I already had from a kid) and not an actual hearing impairment. I went away thinking....yes, just another 2 years and I'll be back in here, back to 10st 7lb, fixed and well again...

So here we are...2 years later and almost 3 stone lighter but still a loooong way off 10st 7lb!! I don't imagine any of the other tests will be an issue, they'll be much the same as last time results wise. Shame I'm still not back to my old self in terms of the awake side of things and being able to say I'm not tired all the time but maybe in another 2 years eh!? I am interested in the diabetic test though as I've always worried I might have it and get a surprise when they tell me I don't. A nice surprise obviously. I must just get really thirsty, all the time and need the loo a lot.

I'll report back tomorrow in what state I'm in :) If he passed me as fit to climb up and down ladders and in and out of deep holes in that state 4.5 years ago when I could barely keep my eyes open I'm sure I'll pass this time.

I passed the medical no problem, it was a different bloke this time who was really lovely and very knowledgeable and explained all the tests to me. He didn't comment on my weight so obviously didn't think I looked too fat to climb ladders! He also told me my hearing was a lot better than the average for my age and that my tinitus has not been caused by noise in the past. He said it'll most likely be from having measels, mumps and chicken pox in the past (as I can't remember a time I didn't have it so I must have had it since primary school) and asked if it had got worse since taking my thyroid meds as that can make it worse - as soon as he said it I realised that yes, it has got a lot louder these last few years. Nothing I can do about it of course, yet another thing the doctors failed to mention when they just shove drugs into you. So I left his office feeling nicely informed and glad I don't have type 2 diabetes!

Last week I only managed one gym session and no Jillian so not great, especially with the curry (which was yum and totally worth it!). Sunday WI had me 0.4lb heavier which is to be expected, could have been worse. So back to it today, went to the gym this morning, and have a rosemary roasted veg lasagne for lunch which was my new recipe to try for the weekend yesterday. Not bad, probably would make it again.

Found a lovely looking red velvet cake recipe in a magazine on the weekend....not SW friendly in the slightest though! Might make it for my birthday so I can have some but share it round the office too so I don't eat it all :)

Last edited:
Gym yesterday and gym tonight....all this exercise has had a noticable effect on how toned bits of me look. My boyfriend had commented how my bingo wings weren't quite so wobbly any more but the other bit I've noticed is my legs. My calves definitely aren't as wobbly and feel more toned and firm than they were which is really nice I thought....until I tried to zip up my knee high boots this morning!

Now these fitted me when I was heavier than this by a good 5lb, and they were fine a couple weeks ago before I noticed my legs being firmer. So I must have built the muscles up a bit and that's had the opposite effect to the one I'd like....I wanted firmer and slimmer, not firmer and bulkier!

I'll just have to put up with them being a little on the tight side till I've lost some more weight, I don't think people would notice they're too tight to look at them, at least I hope not.

I've been informed by a knowledgable guy at work who's far more into his fitness than me, that I need to stretch more after exercising to lengthen the muscle. I also googled it and all the time I spend on the treadmill on an incline is bad, I need to either do it on the flat or just drop it as walking up an incline builds muscle which I don't want. I think I'll just spend double the time on the cross trainer instead or divide the time I'd normally spend on the tread mill evenly between rowing and cross trainer.

The jumping involved on the 30 day shred isn't good either as that'll build the muscle up, but I guess at least she stretches it out at the end very briefly.

I'm just a bit annoyed now that I've been putting all this effort in to try and tone up and lose weight and all I've succeeded in doing is making my legs an inch fatter!

Made it to the gym last night and it seems all the January joiners are still there. It was all men and school boys, totally packed out, weights being dropped loudly all over the place, the knackered treadmill making a dreadful noise and within about 2 minutes I was very stressed and wound up :-( The early mornings at 5:45am are a killer but compared to going in the evening it wins hands down....back to morning sessions from now on. Hopefully tomorrow and I'm having a day off today. I might do Jillian tonight if the mood takes me but I've done two days of gym this week so I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't.

I definitely went harder last night, made up extra time rowing and cross training and braved using the weights with an audience which is a first for me with that many people around.

Yesterday was a day for compliments too which I needed after feeling very fat with my tight boots on :-( My boss told a colleague that he thought I'd lost loads of weight and even in the last 6 months I'd lost more.....I haven't of course, I've gained it, but it's still nice to hear and nice that the work friend passed it on to me knowing it'd cheer me up. The same friend then told me the dress I had on was flattering. Next time I wear it I'll feel much more confident in it as I was worried it was seriously unflattering being a jumper dress that showed all the lumps and bumps.

I'm resisting scale jumping this week and just keeping my fingers crossed for Sunday that they'll show a loss after 2 weeks of small gains.

We're now watching the last series of Australian biggest loser, as well as the current UK and USA ones! Really getting into them and I do find them inspiring when they just keep going despite small losses some weeks (and losing small ammounts when they've worked sooo hard must be soul destroying). The fact they work so hard in the gym despite being so big also makes me work a bit harder when I think about them as if they can do it, I can.

Ended up in an evening gym session last night and the same again tonight. Must be a change in my level of dedication to the exercise that I'm still going despite knowing it'll be packed. Again, I pushed myself harder last night, did 10 minutes more cardio than usual and felt properly wiped out afterwards with my jelly legs!

If I don't lose any weight this week now after all this effort I won't be impressed! I've been sticking to the diet and the last couple days my syns have been fairly low too.

So fingers crossed for Sunday..

Gym 4 times (all longer and harder than usual), an hour on the Wii last night, I turned down cake at work on Friday, I walked loads yesterday and all for a grand weight loss of......zero, nothing, not a sausage. I'm exactly the same weight as last week 13st 5.6lb. Not a gain I suppose so I should be grateful for that, but really, what more can I do!?

I'm trying to remain positive that my hard work will pay off. It's keeping me fit I suppose. I'm going to try and drink a lot more this week I think.

I'm away in Manchester next weekend so that'll be bad food but hopefully lots of walking to balance it out.

Sorry that you are feeling dissappointed EmmyLou. I can understand it as you have worked so hard. It is bound to pay off eventualy. Good luck with the rest of your week. x

Och that's a shame you didn't lose this week, u've worked so hard as well :-(

I personally find that I lose more weight by doing a small amount of exercise. If I exercise lots I don't lose even if I've not syn'd at all. Might be something to do with turning fat to muscle, apparently muscle weighs more than fat? Don't know if that's true lol.

Better luck for next week.

Cxx

Just read a lot of your diary Emma. You work so hard with your diet and excercise and you never give up. It must be such a challenge with your meds and I really admire you for carrying on.

You are a real star ! and thoroughly deserve the results Im sure you'll get in time. A massive well done ! x

Back