A Scary Thought!

Maximus

Gold Member
As loads of people's new year resolution will be to lose weight, I know I was going to do this "in the new year".

Instead, sometime in Summer I began by replacing crisps, sausage rolls, pasties, pies, sandwiches at work with fruit.

After losing a couple of stone I joined Slimming World.

Today, I weight 12st 13.5lb in July I weighed 17st 7lb - I would now be 4st 7.5lb or 63.5lb or even 29kg heavier!

Looking at that, I am so glad I started there and then, and so glad I never waited. A lot of people at work said they were waiting until the new year. I think the moral of the story is do not put off until tomorrow what you can do today.

So glad I did. Easily my best decision of 2010:p

Steve

Yes you did the right thing and well done! I totally agree, when I decided to join in Sept after trying to do it on my own somebody said to me 'whats the point before xmas'. Yes in Sept!

While I didn't expect to be at target by xmas, I would of put on prob a stone in Nov Dec as I would of had the 'i'll lose it in the new year mentality'.

Just goes to show never put things off!:)

I think you can often set yourself up to fail by making it into a "New Year Resolution" (tm) - because it's almost a joke that no-one ever keeps a New Years Resolution (tm).

If you want to lose weight, you need something to focus forward on, not a moment behind you that is soon gone.

That said, I did start losing in January last year, but with the end goal of my 10th wedding anniversary which was much later in the year. I didnt start at the beginning of January either, I started at the point when I got on the scales and thought "Christ on a bike, I promised myself I would never end up here again".

Well done :) I'm kind of the same as you, even though I didn't start slimming world til Oct, I did start cutting back and making healthier choices in the summer. According to my wii fit (so I don't know how accurate it is) I've lost 1 stone 5 since August when I looked back on my weight chart the other week.

Well I'm back to work tomorrow (apparently!) and will be listening to all of them telling me of their joining SW this week lol.

Almost a cliché (how do I do the accent thing)?

Last edited:
alt gr as in g and r and then the letter you need the accent for?

I often need an n with an accent in Spanish and on my desk top it is no prob as it is a Spanish keyboard but this lap top is an English one.

Thanks in anticipation and sorry Steve for the hijack !!!

I agree about the new years resolution. Even though I started in the new year I purposely didnt start until the 4th Jan-it was a Monday and thought it would keep me on track at weekends better that way and it was not my new years resolution to lose weight.

Fillymum alt gr is on the right of my space bar whereas plain old boring alt is on the left

fillymum said:
alt gr as in g and r and then the letter you need the accent for?

I often need an n with an accent in Spanish and on my desk top it is no prob as it is a Spanish keyboard but this lap top is an English one.

Thanks in anticipation and sorry Steve for the hijack !!!

No, Sue, it's the alt button to the right of the space bar- there is usually an Alt on one and an Alt Gr on the other. No idea why. Press that one at the same time as the e button and it should give you an accented e.

There's somewhere on Windows where you can get any unusual character and copy and paste it, I think it might be in the accessories menu and be called a Character Map, but I might also be making that up because I am posting from my phone - so will confirm when I am back at the computer.

Definitely Character Map.

Alt Gr + e gives you é, but sometimes you need an â, or an à, or an æ, or a ç or a ñ ...

They're all in there: Alt + a code, all of which can be found in the Character map.

Back