A thought on "small" losses

I often lurk and read people's posts and am always very interested to see people's (emoticon) reactions to their smaller weighloss three weeks or so into the CD.

I think it's sad when people are disappointed when they "only" lose 2 or 3 lbs in their third week. If you take a bigger view of a month as a whole, a stone or more in three or four weeks is AMAZING!

These bodies of ours are organic, biological, living things which don't react in a digital, rational way to our sub-500 Calorie intake. Isn't it better to look at our average loss over a month and celebrate the fact that our amazing bodies are getting thinner, albeit in an irregular pattern?

Come on fellow losstastic, successful dieters, let's be positive and grateful that the weight's coming off!

My tuppence-worth.

Yes I have to agree with that, well said :)

Personally I put a sad emticon next to my small losses for fun. Makes for celebrating the large losses. The weeks I have had small losses on the scales I've had good inches losses. No tickers for that! Celebrating the big losses makes all the hardwork worthwhile, and the hardwork is there be it small or large losses, so we all want the big ones don't we?

Great post caronlookalike :D

I think we all get soo blinkered by the end result that we forget that sometimes logic doesn't apply if we have a small loss. Of course our bodies need time to adjust - and over the month our losses do even out. We see it happen time and time again on here, but I suppose we all panic and think our own body will be the one that doesn't follow the 'normal' pattern. Have faith, the scales will move is what I say!!

I will cetainly be remembering this when my losses slow some weeks.

x

I no how people fill i lost 5.5 last week and was buit upset as wanted to loose another 12 and 8 like 2 weeks before!! Im just greedy!! We all expect it to be like the first week,but if we dont weight watchers it wouldnt come off as fast!

I'm guilty of this!!! I lost 3lb this week and I was so grumpy.. but you're right.. what a silly impatient thing I am

Caronlookalike et al
I'm know myself that my initial thoughts on a 2 or 3lb loss is disappointment and I have to conciously convince myself that it is a good loss! Its a shame, cos I have to look at the bigger picture as secondary thought rather than primary. I guess its just human nature

But I gotta admit - there's no other diet like CD which have such great losses

I am usually quite good at thinking any loss is a good loss, but - being daily weigher - this week has been terrible. I started the week with 3lb to lose and I will reach my 2 stone goal, but I have lost a bit, put on a bit, lost another little bit and still have 0.4 lb to go.

Aaaaarrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Excellent post Caronlookalike - you should post more often.

We're not our bodies!

Thanks for the kudos and I hope I didn’t come across as criticising because that is not what I intended

A couple of years ago I went on a kind of personal growth seminar and one of the sessions was about accepting your body. The first thing we did was to understand that are not our bodies. Our body is the vehicle which carries us through life. It had the most amazing, profound effect on me.
The session ended with us having to write a “love letter” to our body (very Californian, I know, but it was just brilliant). I found all kinds of gratitude for this amazing, amazing body that has trundled on, despite the appalling mistreatment I have meted out to it over the past 40 years. I have stuffed it with poison and junk decried it for being vile (because it doesn’t match up to airbrushed fantasies in magazines), failed to give it the absolute basic requirements, and yet it never lets me down. Even the accumulation of fat is quite miraculous, as is the loss of the same fat. When I think of what my liver and kidneys do, how my broken ankle knitted itself back together in six weeks, how skin tans and how pain works, I feel quite humble. I don’t have kids, but some of the ladies at the seminar talked about how incredible it was to grow a baby and give life to a whole new person and yet they STILL hate and loathe their bodies. I know I’m sounding very evangelical about it but it really was a life-changing experience and one which I will treasure.

Very interesting way of looking at things. I used to do this last time I was on CD, just thought of my body as a machine that only needed the packs for fuel......funnily enough that attitude didn't last long once I started to eat normally again!!!!
It's amazing how psychological eating is considering we need only do it for the physical!
Ceri

I often lurk and read people's posts and am always very interested to see people's (emoticon) reactions to their smaller weighloss three weeks or so into the CD.

I think it's sad when people are disappointed when they "only" lose 2 or 3 lbs in their third week. If you take a bigger view of a month as a whole, a stone or more in three or four weeks is AMAZING!

These bodies of ours are organic, biological, living things which don't react in a digital, rational way to our sub-500 Calorie intake. Isn't it better to look at our average loss over a month and celebrate the fact that our amazing bodies are getting thinner, albeit in an irregular pattern?

Come on fellow losstastic, successful dieters, let's be positive and grateful that the weight's coming off!

My tuppence-worth.

I am glad that someone finally posted this.

Excellent post and I wholeheartedly agree with you

Thanks for the kudos and I hope I didn’t come across as criticising because that is not what I intended

A couple of years ago I went on a kind of personal growth seminar and one of the sessions was about accepting your body. The first thing we did was to understand that are not our bodies. Our body is the vehicle which carries us through life. It had the most amazing, profound effect on me.
The session ended with us having to write a “love letter” to our body (very Californian, I know, but it was just brilliant). I found all kinds of gratitude for this amazing, amazing body that has trundled on, despite the appalling mistreatment I have meted out to it over the past 40 years. I have stuffed it with poison and junk decried it for being vile (because it doesn’t match up to airbrushed fantasies in magazines), failed to give it the absolute basic requirements, and yet it never lets me down. Even the accumulation of fat is quite miraculous, as is the loss of the same fat. When I think of what my liver and kidneys do, how my broken ankle knitted itself back together in six weeks, how skin tans and how pain works, I feel quite humble. I don’t have kids, but some of the ladies at the seminar talked about how incredible it was to grow a baby and give life to a whole new person and yet they STILL hate and loathe their bodies. I know I’m sounding very evangelical about it but it really was a life-changing experience and one which I will treasure.

What a brilliant outlook to have. I am repulsed by the way my body looks, but hopefully when I shed this excess weight I too will be able to love and be thankful for the body I have.

Excellent post.

I am repulsed by the way my body looks, but hopefully when I shed this excess weight I too will be able to love and be thankful for the body I have.

Excellent post.

Hi Lisa Marie

I am really sorry to read that you are repulsed by your body and hope you can come to a sense of peace and acceptance of it before you lose weight. It's SO the media, in my opinion. Good luck with the CD!

I think your first post is brilliant and so true. I hate my current body but its my fault for making it like that. I dont have diabetis or anything else and I've got 13 stone to lose so I am grateful for that. I cant wait for the day to look in the mirror and just to feel 'ok' with myself.

Lilypop

Hi Lilypop

You are right, so right. Our bodies are a reflection of how we treat them. If we can treat them kindly, they'll reflect our treatment (I guess like our skin does) I'm sorry you can't accept your body as it is BUT just think, it carries you around despite the extra stonage and it hasn't got diabetes. It's amazing and deserves the kind treatment you'd give to your daughter or a favourite plant and you're now doing that for it.

I had a bad couple of days in that I gained 2lbs despite sticking to CD 100%. Intellectually I KNOW it can't have actually gained weight - not on less than 500 kcals a day but I was still hacked off. It's off again today. Just a fluctuation, but I do understand the panic and desire to chuck it all in if it's not working.

Good luck

, but I do understand the panic and desire to chuck it all in if it's not working.

It is completely natural to want to chuck it all in, if we 'feel' its not working. This diet is very restrictive. Its not an easy diet and when you think you could lose more or at the very least the same on an 'eating diet' that is when most get the desire to chuck it all in.

Someone on here posted about weight gain they had over a weekend of cheating and Icemoose replied and did a lengthy explanation as to how its impossible to gain that weight in FAT over that time (they had posted exactly what they had eaten when they cheated). I cannot find it now, but it was a fantastic post. Lots of science and calorie figures involved, but it was great to read. I've already had a good chat with myself and told myself that a fluctuation in weight loss is natural. That is why some lose 5lbs week 1 and 9lbs week two, when logic says it should be the other way round.

You're so true, since I've been doing this diet, I've started taking more care of myself and liking myself more, even though I still dont like what I see in the mirror! I've started appreciating the fact that I'm not ill by my weight, I dont have any illnesses I am really healthy and that's quite unbelievable considering and I am so lucky about that. I took it past the boundries and could have got all kinds of things but didnt. Thank god I woke up before it was too late. If I do not lose one week, I wont be discouraged, like you say, on 500 calories, it cant put on fat, so it must be something else. I'm so excited about the future, other diets, I used to give up in the 2nd week but this one, there is no way I will be giving up! even if I lose 2lbs that's still brilliant and I will be pleased. I remember going to slimming world and the lady got this big lump of fat that weighed 2lbs and it was really heavy!!

Really enjoyed reading everyones views on this

I am guilty of moping over small losses,but I do know all the reasons why and always try to look at the bigger picture.
I don't know why this happens but the smaller losses always seem to come on weeks when you are near a mini target or a week where I have craved food

No other diet would give me the results I have had with CD and I love the diet.Stay positive everyone and a little moan every now and again is allowed after all this diet is hard work

Hard as it is I am with you Caron and to put in a picture I have added a guy holding a 5lb fat replica.

To lose some or all of this every week is great!

I have made this my desktop to remind me of what can be achieved!

Daisydee x

:jelous:

Attachments

• 5lbsfat.jpg
    5lbsfat.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 24
Back