AAM week - is it compulsory?

djrookie

I am now on week 5 of Sole source but my counsellor hasn't mentioned AAM. I know that a number of people have never taken an AAM week but surely there is a reason why Cambridge recommend the AAM. How has everyone else gone on with this?

Hi Debbie, yes, it's compulsory unless you have permission from your doc to skip it. Do you have the Sole Source booklet?

The 'Add a Meal' is used as a natural break after 4 weeks on sole source and is also the first part of the stabilisation process once target weight is achieved.
The cambridge recommends that the sole source programme is followed for no longer than for weeks at a time. At that point, if target weight has not yet been reached, the dieter should have an 'Add a Meal' week

Hi, im in no way an expert but ive just been reading about a woman doing LL who has died and its apparently due to the lack of potassium in the diet which affects the heart muscles, and have been told that is one reason add a meal is done on cd more regularly than on LL. Apparently LL have now been told they must do heart checks on there members if only doing aam every 8 weeks.
My old counsellor told me I didnt have to do aam and I wasnt keen but must admit after what Ive read with this I will be doing it. Sarahxx.

I always bang on about this as I consider it very important. I copy below some Q&A's in information about Add a meal week.

I would always recommend it.

Can I forego the fifth add-a-meal week and continue uninterrupted on the Sole Source programme until I reach target weight?
The advice that no-one should use the Cambridge Diet as Sole Source of nutrition for longer than four weeks is to comply with the recommendations in the 1987 DHSS report by the Committee on the Medical Aspects of Food Policy (COMA) entitled "The Use of Very Low Calorie Diets in Obesity".

"As the Sole Source of nourishment, the use of VLCD should not exceed the period recommended by the manufacturers (up to 3 to 4 weeks at a time) without reverting to a normal mixture of foods". The above recommendation from COMA was not based on any research. Anyone who wants to forego the add-a-meal week can only do so providing his or her doctor gives written consent.

I have been taking the Cambridge Diet as my Sole Source of nutrition for four weeks. What should I eat in the fifth "add-a-meal" week?
Continue to have three Cambridge Diet meals a day and add a daily "green and white" meal (around 400 Calories). "Green" means a portion of leafy greens and vegetables. "White" could be portion of skinless lean chicken breast, grilled fish or cottage cheese. Check with your SS booklet for portion sizes.

No added salt should be used but flavours can be increased and enhanced by the use of calorie free dressings and seasonings. Avoid oil-based salad dressings and those containing fat.

Return to sole source and the end of this week if weight loss is still needed.

We all need to learn to control our portions. You still will have 3 shakes a day so you will not be hungry or craving as you have all your nutrition.

At the end of all this we all need to know our limitations otherwise the weight goes back on. This applies to ALL diets. If you continue to do what you have done in the past you will gain the same results.

It is hard; everyone on here including me has a weight problem else we wouldn't be here. And even when at goal we cannot be complacent and forget that fact.

We need to be able to keep it in control once the weight is lost but we are all human and sometimes things happen that throw all good intentions out of the window.

Still with the CD programmes if you stray a little you can quickly get yourself back in check.

The forum is one of the best places to get support if you cannot get hold of your counsellor.

Take care.

Linda

Thanks for this, I was considering skipping this, so it's confirmed that wouldn't be such a good idea and also it will be nice to start introducing food every now and then!

I asked about this a few wks ago here, cos my CDC said I didn't have to bother! But I don't think it would be formally recommended if it wasn't necessary. She also didn't advise me that I shouldn't be on diuretics at the start of the diet, which is probably why I thought I was having a stroke during the first three days - extreme dehydration headache! But I got a copy (albeit old) of the Cambridge Diet book which explains things a bit more now, and of course, this forum for really up to date and REAL advice!

Having read this, I think I will do AAM myself next week (week 5 for me).

Cheers!

I asked about this a few wks ago here, cos my CDC said I didn't have to bother! But I don't think it would be formally recommended if it wasn't necessary. She also didn't advise me that I shouldn't be on diuretics at the start of the diet, which is probably why I thought I was having a stroke during the first three days - extreme dehydration headache! But I got a copy (albeit old) of the Cambridge Diet book which explains things a bit more now, and of course, this forum for really up to date and REAL advice!

Having read this, I think I will do AAM myself next week (week 5 for me).

Cheers!

Good idea I think Clairabell :)

I can't believe it - I was going to post a new thread about aam week and thought I would just check it first and here it is - just what I needed thanks so much everyone - what excellent advice. I have to admit I am really scared about aam week - I am currently on week 4 with roughly 5 stone to lose and am thinking iot's way to early to add real food - I thought that I would lose a few stone first then start to add a meal but perhaps I should start in the 5th week then!? My friend has lost 4 and a half stone and stayed on ss all the way through until maintenance - albeit she was 3lbs away from target then went off the rails big time and now needs to lose 23lbs to get back to target. Do you think it's because she never added a meal? I wonder! I really am scared it's gonna slow up the weight loss and I don't want anything to detract me from this diet at the moment - am I being silly? Did everyone feel like this when it came to aam week? Please help! Thanks

hey Mandz,

Just thought I would share...I read on aother thread from the moderator that aam is just like 790. You still lose the same weight (give or take) and remain in ketosis. I think its a relief to chew -- cuz I have been craving all chewy textures!! If you know anything about Atkins' philosophy of ketosis, then protiens and a bit of veg is good. So go for it!!

Maybe you're onto something with the potential reason of your friend derailing...but glad to kow shes back on track!:p

can i just ask...would u be able to have a bar as one of your 3 packs and then add the meal for AAM week? or just 3 packs and the meal?

must admit, im frightened of AAM week too. i am worried i may go out of control cos im a bit greedy like that lol. i get on much better when im allowed no food at all. then i cant get confused :)

good luck for AAM those that are doing it for the first time. im in the middle of week 3 so not having to panic just yet

xxxx

Im doing my 1st AAM and Im coping fine with it. I dont do any special Ive been adding the food to my soups, I decided that I didnt want to do any special as I dont want to tempt the taste buds. Oriental chilli soup was lovely with the chicken added in and I save the veg to add to the veg soup later in the day, nice and chunky. The quanities that you can have are soooo small they cant possibly effect any weight loss.

Karen - most people refer to the "pack's" as a general term for any CD product which is allowed on the programme - eg pack's, bars (after 1st 2 weeks) or tetra's. So the answer to your question is Yes you can have a bar on AAM week.

Good luck
Nicky
CDC Swindon

Back