Acceptable Cheating!

cheery

Do you have little cheats? Things that you're not officially supposed to do, but do anyway in the knowledge that they will perhaps have a (very slight) impact on your weight loss, but it's worth it?

For me, there are things that I just don't think I could do without and so I cheat, in order to keep myself on the diet. My rule of thumb is - if you stay in ketosis, it's only a tiny bit of calories/fat, you do it rarely and it keeps you on plan - do it!

Here are my cheats

- On SS, have a can of two of Coke Zero a week as a treat - perhaps at the weekend

- On SS+, have four or five tablespoons of veg rather than a measly two or three.

- On SS+, if you're having the milk, instead of having 200mls of skimmed, have 100ml of semi-skimmed - ie three proper cups of tea a day

What do you do? Or are you very very good and stick to the plan 100% ?

Nope, not a single deviation from the diet for Jabba. All that passes my lips is water, powder shakes, tetras and occasional bars. Even right now when I am feeling very poorly. I know that one will need to another which will lead to another.....personally I just don't see the point.

Hmm, actually.....I do 'suck' sugar free gum for a few seconds if my mouth feels like the bottom of a birdcage, and technically that is not on the plan....However, I don't view it as a cheat - it's more like being able to clean my teeth whilst out and about!

Thanks Shanny. I reached rock bottom 4 weeks ago and spent an entire day in tears - tears of disgust and frustration at the state I had let myself get into AGAIN! Therefore, I have vowed that I will do it and do it properly this time.

Good for you hun im proud of you! at this rate you will be skinny minnie for your new york trip hun.!!

I know it's not an easy diet to follow by all means but sometimes i do regret cheating cuz it doesnt get you any where really!

No more tears now jan. xx

Everything I do I discuss with my cdc. I chew chewing gum (sugarfree) but only when my mouth feels icky and I have a horrible tase in my mouth. It doesn't make me hungry luckily.
The only thing I might do a bit different is the waterflavouring and the mousses. I have them both and I also have a moussse and a bar in one day, simply because that makes me enjoy the diet more and it will probably make me stick to it. So far I've had 4 blibs that I actually had a 'bad' meal in the 7 weeks I've been doing it and if I'm really honest with myself, it's never been worth it. I don't regret it, but it's just not worth it.

Nope I also have nothing thats not cambridge. Apart from water and shakes its nil by mouth for me. I think psychologically if you allow yourself to have "small" cheats it will make it easier to have "big" cheats! If you look at the big picture then your only giving up luxuries short term, and I'd only be cheating myself if I slipped!

Yep, I was the queen of little cheats when I was on SS+!
I'd have more chicken than allowed. Bits of mayo and ketchup. Sometimes I'd even swap the 138 cals of a shake for something else :eek: Naughty? I know, but it did help me get through the diet, and it rarely led to a binged.
I also used to put things in my mouth for a taste, then take them out.... Chips, pieces of steak, cheese and onion walkers crisps, even chocolate.......
Ridiculous really when I think about it!!

When i was 4st heavier than i am now i was amazing at doing it 100% but now i only have 1st left to go and am very happy with how i look now it's sooo hard not to have little cheats. If i'm really hungry i have a jaffa cake or a couple of crisps, just to make me feel normal. I did it last weekand still managed to shift 2lb but i am not saying it's ok to do it. This last stone is a killer!

It's all about how you view it - I had bits of chicken and ham whilst doing SS and didn't think of them as 'cheats' - they were the choices I made at the time. If I had thought of them as cheating, I would have 'failed' and therefore probably have gone on a bender. If I felt I needed them, I had them but I considered it carefully beforehand. I asked the same question once on the 100% forum and got a very snotty answer, predicting that I would never reach goal with an attitude like that. That's partly why I'm here at goal now.........;)

This wasn't a diet I could afford to 'cheat' on. I know myself too well and one extra bit of fish could lead to fish with soya sauce and then fish with rice and then fish with rice and an apple and then.... I didn't want to risk an extra bit of food costing me a week of weight loss, financially or physically.

I knew I wasn't physically hungry in ketosis so I used SS as chance to really evalute my issues around food. I dug deep with the help of a therapist, learnt about CBT and TA (and how many times did I think 'I deserve this food) and stayed on plan.

I chose this plan because it worked for me. Not cheating doesn't make the way I did it any better or worse than someone who 'cheated.' It's an individual thing.

Allowing extras is what got me fat in the first place. An extra slice of toast, another bag of crisps and so on and so on. A chocolate bar on the way out of the supermarket/petrol station/newsagents because I had had a "good" day!

I don't let myself cheat at all...... although today I have had my three packs and am feeling desperate. I think it may be a four pack day. Is that a cheat? If so it will be my first one. Hmmmmm..... what to do?

i have had 3 - 4 days of little cheats and now im hungry, im moody, and cannot stop thinking about food. i need to try and get back to being 100% or i think my wedding will be off the way my moods have been this weekend!! lol

I don't let myself cheat at all...... although today I have had my three packs and am feeling desperate. I think it may be a four pack day. Is that a cheat? If so it will be my first one. Hmmmmm..... what to do?
Better off a 4th pack, than reaching for the pack of biscuits. You are 5'7" after all, 1" away from having 4 a day.

Interesting to read all your responses!

I agree that 'cheating' is perhaps not the best way of describing it. I see it as using 'common sense'! A good example of that is the person who is an inch in height away from an extra pack, is hungry and sees the alternative as a mega binge. For me, that's a straightforward one - don't suffer, don't eat crap - just have an extra pack!

I do hear what the 100 % people are saying, and good for you if you can stick to it! But for me, Cambridge is extreme enough to worry as long as I'm in ketosis and the calories of my cheats are very low!

Though I'm only short, I didn't want any less than 4 packs a day. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and a mousse or shake worked great for me. The weight losses on SS+ and SS are the same so I was happy with that. I had quite a few of the rare and not so rare side effects. I'm glad I didn't go any lower.

I agree that 'cheating' is perhaps not the best way of describing it. I see it as using 'common sense'! A good example of that is the person who is an inch in height away from an extra pack, is hungry and sees the alternative as a mega binge. For me, that's a straightforward one - don't suffer, don't eat crap - just have an extra pack!

I do hear what the 100 % people are saying, and good for you if you can stick to it! But for me, Cambridge is extreme enough to worry as long as I'm in ketosis and the calories of my cheats are very low!
Sensible attitude, Cheery - it's all aabout what works for the individual

Back