Adopting a rescue dog

Tinytootz

Mini crazy cat lady
Hey. For years now I have wanted a dog, and I am finally in the right place to get one!

So off I went to the rescue centre, and instantly fell in love with a blue eyed Collie. I've had a collie before, so I know how much hard work they can be, and how bright they are. I enquired, and they said I should call to arrange a home visit.

Woke up this morning, and rang up to enquire about getting a home visit, and hopefully reserving the collie.

"Have you had a dog before?"
- Well yes, I've had a collie
"What happened to it?"
- It had to be put down due to illness
"Was it your dog?"
- Well, no. It was my ex's dog, but I was the primary carer
"Are you in a family home?"
- No, I live with my partner, but no kids
"I ask, as we like our dogs to go to special homes, not young homes. As your previous relationship split, it doesn't mean this one won't"
- Well, to be honest, I was with him for 7 years. It was not some fly by night fling
"Well, we like references from vets and other places. I will give you a call next time I am doing house visits. Goodbye"

FUMING is not the word! I'm 26, not 16. Why is my house not as loving a house just because I don't have kids, a wedding ring, or a mortgage! And what on earth has it got to do with my ex! Yes, we split. S**t happens.

Perhaps I'm over-reacting, but I don't see why she needed to have such a negative reaction to me. Surely the rehoming of a dog is the most important aspect, not my past relationship. Needless to say, I am going back in tomorrow to enquire as to what the problem is, and when I will be having a home visit. I don't do *waiting* for a call very well.

Rant over. :wave_cry:

Which organisation was this? Having recently rehomed a rescue dog myself, I wasn't asked any questions like this. Myself and my partner are 25 and our age wasn't an issue, and the fact we are unmarried and we rent our home didn't seem to be a worry. They came to do the house checks, particularly how secure our yard was (satisfied with our 7 foot brick wall!) and obviously they wanted us to register with a vet and receive confirmation from our private landlord that he allowed us to have a dog.

This was with Dog's Trust.

It was a small place, Serendipity, not part of a large organisation. I was just a bit put out that her primary concern was my relationship status. She didn't even enquire about a garden, how many floors, or if I have any other pets. I'll be going in tomorrow morning, as hopefully face to face, it will be better. I'm just hoping she is one of those people who is no good on the phone, and often gets taken the wrong way. And the lack of urgency or rush to do a house visit was odd too. I would have thought they would be doing it quickly, or at least saying "we will be visiting on Monday" or something!

You'll obviously be passing on your loose relationship morals to the dog. ;)

Maybe she's had an off day? Either way try not to get stressed about it, altough I agree they are strange questions to ask. You could also find out who she was in relation to the centre, is she a manager or is she a worker that you can complain about? Well not complain but you know what I mean?

Contact the other rescue organisations in the area and see what they have too?

I can understand your frustration, but I also understand the questions that you were asked. A dog that's in a resuce home has already had a shakey start and the organisation has to make sure that the animals are going to an appropriate home. As SarahM said, the main issue is can you give the dog a loving and permanent home? If the answer to that is yes then there shouldn't be a problem.
I would suggest trying the Dog's Trust or your local RSPCA animal home. Good luck, and keep trying, you're obviously desperate to give a poochie a loving home so good on ya xx

I do totally understand her questions, but I think a bit too much emphasis was placed upon the fact I had split from my ex. Sadly the dog had died before we split, so there wasn't even an issue as to where it lived. I've had a collie before, other half has had several dogs, I work from home and other half has a pet shop. I don't think the little chap could want for anything more :)

I've been checking the homes every Friday for ages now, but I fell in love with this little dude yesterday :(

Hopefully she is in a better mood tomorrow :D

Hey. For years now I have wanted a dog, and I am finally in the right place to get one!

So off I went to the rescue centre, and instantly fell in love with a blue eyed Collie. I've had a collie before, so I know how much hard work they can be, and how bright they are. I enquired, and they said I should call to arrange a home visit.

Woke up this morning, and rang up to enquire about getting a home visit, and hopefully reserving the collie.

"Have you had a dog before?"
- Well yes, I've had a collie
"What happened to it?"
- It had to be put down due to illness
"Was it your dog?"
- Well, no. It was my ex's dog, but I was the primary carer
"Are you in a family home?"
- No, I live with my partner, but no kids
"I ask, as we like our dogs to go to special homes, not young homes. As your previous relationship split, it doesn't mean this one won't"
- Well, to be honest, I was with him for 7 years. It was not some fly by night fling
"Well, we like references from vets and other places. I will give you a call next time I am doing house visits. Goodbye"

FUMING is not the word! I'm 26, not 16. Why is my house not as loving a house just because I don't have kids, a wedding ring, or a mortgage! And what on earth has it got to do with my ex! Yes, we split. S**t happens.

Perhaps I'm over-reacting, but I don't see why she needed to have such a negative reaction to me. Surely the rehoming of a dog is the most important aspect, not my past relationship. Needless to say, I am going back in tomorrow to enquire as to what the problem is, and when I will be having a home visit. I don't do *waiting* for a call very well.

Rant over. :wave_cry:

If I was you I would do as suggested above and find out what her position is within the organisation and if possible speak to someone else. If she is in a position that makes that impossible I would make an appointment to see her for a chat in her office and with your OH if possible.

You can then point out the facts as they are to her.

Her attitude seems to have been brusque at the least. It is understandable she wants the best for the dogs in her care but that does not mean she should be rude our write someone off without having a really valid reason. Her reasons with you are not valid.

I do totally understand her questions, but I think a bit too much emphasis was placed upon the fact I had split from my ex. Sadly the dog had died before we split, so there wasn't even an issue as to where it lived. I've had a collie before, other half has had several dogs, I work from home and other half has a pet shop. I don't think the little chap could want for anything more :)

I've been checking the homes every Friday for ages now, but I fell in love with this little dude yesterday :(

Hopefully she is in a better mood tomorrow :D

I do so hope you get him. It sounds as if he is wort putting up a fight for.

Be charming, as I am sure you are and do not let her offhand and illogical attitude rub off on her.

This doggie needs you.

Good luck from me and my 7 monsters

hugs xxxxx

i have to say these questions sound well out of order and not the usual ones to be asking ! Maybe she has been recently dumped and is still bitter LOL .

I really do hope you get him-fingers crossed

These are very unusual questions for someone wanting to adopt a dog. Is there anyone you could complain to? It's very personal.

OH & I got our dog, Sox about 4 years ago.. I was only 20 & we'd been living together for about 2 years max at the time. He'd never had a dog before & I'd had a family dog when I was younger which ended up being taken to the RSPCA from my mum.

As long as you can provide for the dog & have a safe home for him/her then nothing else should factor into it.

ETA - I'm also surprised to hear she didn't ask you any questions about your house, garden etc. We had more emphasis put on where we lived (Incl. surrounding areas) than our relationship. It's hard to say how concerned she was regarding the home the dog would be going into when she didn't even bother to ask these simple questions.

My friend got a dog from dogs trust and she's single (divorced) was single when she got him and lives in a ground floor flat so really odd that you got asked those questions!
Good Luck in getting him

I agree with most of the other posts here. Those questions regarding your personal life were uncalled for to say the least. I have 3 rescue dogs, and have never encountered anything like that. I would definitely make an appointment to see the manager of the rescue centre and voice your concerns. Their top priority should be finding a home for all the animals in their care and, instead of an inappropriate telephone interview, should have made made an appointment for a home visit as soon as possible. If you really fell for this pooch, it's worth following up. I honestly wish you the best of luck!

Xx

Well I went in this morning, but the home check lady isn't on site. The man I spoke to was nice, and asked what she said, so I told him. He smiled and rolled his eyes, and said if I don't hear from her by Wednesday then I should call back. They apparently do visits on Mondays and Wednesdays, not that the home visit lady had the decency to tell me that herself, I was just left with a goodbye. If I *still* hear nothing by Wednesday, I will call her again. And if that doesn't satisfy me, I will go in again and explain the situation to the guys on site, as they seem to actually *want* the dogs rehomed :)

I don't now where you are in the U.K. but in your position I would google Serendipity U.K. ( There is one in the States ) and find out more about them i.e. there founder, there officer in charge and contact one of them.

The little collie deserves to be with someone who in my eyes has proved beyond doubt that you truly want him and would love him, care for him and protect him.

If she is depriving him from such a good future who knows how many others dogs have not been re-homed because of her biased opinions.

Can I ask you, without being personal, are you a glamorous, bubbly sort of a person. If you are jealousy is an awful thing and some people build entirely the wrong image of someone because of it. That is if the person is not top of the class in the brains department.

You sound a thoroughly nice and caring person. I hope you get him.

:) the lady in question had never met me, so any ideas she has on me are based purely over the phone, sadly! She would probably be pretty disappointed in person, me in my trainers and jumper without any airs and graces what-so-ever. However, I do pass for 17 :D

I'm one of those people who doesn't back down without good reason, so hopefully I can report back in a few days with good news :)

Some may say I always get my way, I think I just put up a good argument for me to win :D

I really keep my fingers crossed for you.
Although I do see the need to check if a particular home is appropriate for the dog, your relationship/maritual status should not be their top priority.
Best of luck x

Any news Tinytootz???

Nothing yet. Currently sat with a Cockatoo on my knee, so I'm quite distracted from getting annoyed at the lady! If no call Wednesday, I will be calling again. And if she is off with me, I'll go over her head and arrange something direct with the people at the centre, as they seem quite nice, and keen on me having the dog :)

Stick with it.

That little dog needs you !!

Just an update.

The homing lady finally rang me back, and to say I'm annoyed is an understatement! She asked me the exact same bloody questions again (bearing in mind this is the THIRD time), and this time her hang up once again was my past relationship. The second time was the fact I rent. She soon got over this when I explained my parents own the darn house. However, this time I decided to bite back. I explained to her that I think it is ridiculous to completely disregard a young person as a potential 'parent' to a new dog, as her past relationship had a dog involved, which died, and the relationship then ended! She didn't seem to understand, and said she only likes her dogs going to stable homes for life. Yeah, cause marriages NEVER break up, do they? And a wedding ring is a sure fire sign that you can look after a dog properly. And she wants references from the vet. Like the vet is going to remember little old me from over 2 years ago. I can hear it now
"Do you remember this dog?"
"Er...yeah kinda"
"Do you remember this girl"
"Er....not really. This is a vets, not a GP practice"
Needless to say, I shall be going into the rescue centre on Friday and lodging a complaint. It's no wonder the place is full of dogs with someone like that on the end of the phone. Hell mend her if she is there!

Rant over :(

She is going too far really. There is protection and then there is stupidity. I think she has reached the second one.

Let us know what happens on Friday.

hugs.

Back