Advice appreciated

Ricki

I am a type 1 diabetic who needs to lose weight. I have regular low blood sugars with little or no warning and am struggling to balance my sugar levels while sticking to the Slimming World Group Plan that I joined a couple of weeks ago. I did lose 1lb after the first week but was so disappointed to find that I had gained it again at second weigh in. I would really appreciate any advice.

Well I am a type 2 diabetic. But whilst I have lost weight, by eating smaller portions and introducing better choices as I moved along. I have heard on my weight club travels in past (sw/ww/us) that sw has results re balancing weight loss n blood sugar levels. But I suggest that you speak with your medical diabetic support team, ie nurses/doctors/consultant. Good luck on your rd to losing and better health

jockiejoe said:
Well I am a type 2 diabetic. But whilst I have lost weight, by eating smaller portions and introducing better choices as I moved along. I have heard on my weight club travels in past (sw/ww/us) that sw has results re balancing weight loss n blood sugar levels. But I suggest that you speak with your medical diabetic support team, ie nurses/doctors/consultant. Good luck on your rd to losing and better health

Thanks for your advice. I am determined to loose weight this but already have had to have some Lucozade to correct low. What do you eat or drink to regulate low blood sugars?

HiYa! Before joining SW I would have eaten 3 or more slices of bread per day but am now eating 3 to 4 per week. I feel much less bloated but it has not helped my weightlose as yet. My worry is falling sugar levels as I live on a farm and work is hard in Winter.

Hiya hun,

Have you adjusted the amount of insulin you take since starting with Slimming World? I only ask because i was having the same problem with hypos when i first started on Slimming World and needed to tweak my insulin, I'm on bolus/basal regime and dropped my basal by a couple of units and I carb count so adjust basal at meal times anyway. If your not confident changing your insulin levels have a word with your DSN or Dr and they should be able to help.

Hope this helps x

Hiya hun,

Have you adjusted the amount of insulin you take since starting with Slimming World? I only ask because i was having the same problem with hypos when i first started on Slimming World and needed to tweak my insulin, I'm on bolus/basal regime and dropped my basal by a couple of units and I carb count so adjust basal at meal times anyway. If your not confident changing your insulin levels have a word with your DSN or Dr and they should be able to help.

Hope this helps x

Ditto x
i have had to drop my basal a cpl of untis at a time since starting SW.
I know where you are coming from regarding sudden hypos, and yu just have to take it on the chin. But I have experimented (where my hpos have not been disabling) with pasta/rice/potatoes as these are FREE on SW and do a very good job of getting my sugars up... but you have to consider how much time you have to play with and what state you are in to be cooking :rolleyes: ??
Could be worth keeping some cooked pasta in the fridge. Throw in some passata, or even a tin of beans and you're all set.

But trust me, i know it's not that easy, maybe just something worth considering :confused:

I have lost 12.5lbs in 6 weeks with SW and have been type one for 13 years with varying sugars ranging from daily diabetic comas (from low BS) to DKA (from High BS). SW has worked well so far, but I had a 2lb gain last week afetr 3 hypos which were treated with lucozade, jam on toast and endless spoons of sugar in hot drinks :(

It can work though hun xx

Hey honey! Im a type1 too .... youve done well loosing all that .. i did slimming world for 3 weeks and gained 7lb !! i was guuuutted !! i figured it was something to do with my diabetes ..... but you have proven me wrong, maybe i was eating too much lol ...

Im currently calorie counting now and working off that 7lb ... its done my bgs greatly tho ... good luck with your weight loss journey xxxxx

muller light yoghurt, banana, and many other fruits are good for hypos and free on SW :)

Back