advice needed

lisa7982

Hi Guys

i feel terrible today .. i was meant to be on this diet for the 6 weeks im on my 3rd and lost 10lbs 6lbs short of my target weight .. but finacially i am struggling to keep this up at £42 a wee plus i feel im picking at thinks i shouldnt be.

Ive started working out daily for 1 hr.

My question is should i quit 2 weeks early and leave myself short money wise for xmas

or continue and maybe lose another 3lbs .. iso dont want to let my cd down but struggling big time xx
thanks in advance x

Hi honey

I know money is a big issue at the moment for many people. I think it really depends on what you think is most important for you.... and I think you should take your CDC's feelings out the equation totally. She only wants what's best for you and you don't have to take responsibility for her feeling "let down"... .although I suspect you are projecting here and it's actually yourself that you feel you are letting down?

Have you worked out how much your food bill would cost? I find CD is cheaper for me. Sit down and write down the pros and cons and your budget (and predicted xmas costs) and then make a decision that's best for you?

Hi Guys

i feel terrible today .. i was meant to be on this diet for the 6 weeks im on my 3rd and lost 10lbs 6lbs short of my target weight .. but finacially i am struggling to keep this up at £42 a wee plus i feel im picking at thinks i shouldnt be.

Ive started working out daily for 1 hr.

My question is should i quit 2 weeks early and leave myself short money wise for xmas

or continue and maybe lose another 3lbs .. iso dont want to let my cd down but struggling big time xx
thanks in advance x

Firstly, well done on doing so well with your weightloss. I am in the same predicament, but in January. Only you can decide ultimately. You have to do what's right for you. I'm sure your CDC will understand.
If you do decide to stop though, make sure that you go through the maintenance phase so that you don't risk putting the weight back on. I personally am going to have to go up the plans for January (maybe to CD1000?:rolleyes:) , as I have a lot of weight still to lose, but it's going to be a very tough month financially for me. Then going back to SS+ beginning February.
Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Well said, Gg - we seem to have been typing our posts the same time! LOL.

Thanks so much ladies , i just dont know what to do all i know is money is tight and its too bloody cold lol i dont like any of the soups u see so all im drinking is shakes so im having nothing to warm me up ...

making me feel awful first week was great last 2 have been so hard x just feel if i get a healthy diet menu to stick by and maybe do weight watchers i can get the weight off slower and keep it off.

Just cant decide xx

I'm not fond of the soups and rarely have them. I live on iced choc or peppermint chot or hot vanilla with coffee or hot choc with coffee (the hot ones I make up to 500mls to make them last longer).

Lisa

If you do decide to stick with SS, go easy on the exercise. When you're on a very low calorie diet, aerobic workouts can actually be counterproductive. There's a greater chance of you losing lean muscle mass (which won't necessarily show up on the scales because it doesn't weigh very much) because when your body's looking for calories to burn in a hurry it's easier for it to burn protein (that's your muscle) than it is for it to break down fat.

Put another way, strenuous exercise whilst doing Cambridge SS won't help you lose weight more quickly. By all means do toning exercises, but if you're not used to exercise (or even if you are) don't overdo things. The other thing people find if they overdo the exercise whilst on SS is that they feel more hungry (not surprising really, if you think about it!) and because the exercise makes you tired, you're likely to find it more difficult to keep yourself from picking at food.

But it might well be that Cambridge isn't the right diet for you right now. How much of a hurry are you in to lose weight, hun? If you can cope with the thought of only losing a pound or two a week, then maybe WW would be the right way to go. It's a good plan.

Good luck with whatever you decide :hug99: x x

Lisa

When you're on a very low calorie diet, aerobic workouts can actually be counterproductive. There's a greater chance of you losing lean muscle mass (which won't necessarily show up on the scales because it doesn't weigh very much) because when your body's looking for calories to burn in a hurry it's easier for it to burn protein (that's your muscle) than it is for it to break down fat.

Put another way, strenuous exercise whilst doing Cambridge SS won't help you lose weight more quickly.

Hi Lily

Have to disagree with the above. The original study that looked at this took place over 20 years ago and referred to excessive exercising. Since then many studies have been carried out and it has been consistently found that there is no significant difference in effect on lean muscle mass between resistance aerobic versus aerobic exercise (e.g. one hour a day walking, biking or stair climbing).

What has been discovered though is that those who develop a regular aerobic exercise routine during the VLCD are more likely to sustain weight loss over the long term hence exercise is part of the clinical excellence guidelines both in the UK and USA.

Hi Lily

Have to disagree with the above. The original study that looked at this took place over 20 years ago and referred to excessive exercising. Since then many studies have been carried out and it has been consistently found that there is no significant difference in effect on lean muscle mass between resistance aerobic versus aerobic exercise (e.g. one hour a day walking, biking or stair climbing).

What has been discovered though is that those who develop a regular aerobic exercise routine during the VLCD are more likely to sustain weight loss over the long term hence exercise is part of the clinical excellence guidelines both in the UK and USA.

Really? I'm not saying you're wrong - just that I'm surprised that there have been studies on VLCDs, exercise and lean muscle mass and that I haven't seen links to them here on the forum in the past. Don't suppose you happen to have a link to any of the newer studies by any chance?

Though I still think the tiredness thing is an issue. If you overdo the exercise, your resistance to the munchies really does get lower in my personal experience. :sigh:

Really? I'm not saying you're wrong - just that I'm surprised that there have been studies on VLCDs, exercise and lean muscle mass and that I haven't seen links to them here on the forum in the past. Don't suppose you happen to have a link to any of the newer studies by any chance?

Though I still think the tiredness thing is an issue. If you overdo the exercise, your resistance to the munchies really does get lower in my personal experience. :sigh:

i've trained for a half marathon on ss. got to 7 miles on my long runs and then needed to up the cals as i had no energy. having said that i'm struggling to do 3 miles at the mo, my norm is 4 miles (3 times a week). i think it's cause before i had lots of fat to burn and now i'm not as fat i don't have it. i do find that it makes my losses slower but i've never seen a difference in my muscle. still have loads of visable muscle and have done weight training during it all too. i think that it's an individual thing and that you should, above all else, learn to read your own body and it's needs.

Hi Lily

I think maybe you are right in a way i was not exercising until this week and this week i have been more tired and been picking alot more at things ive previously not even looked at ...

gawd i just dont know. Im in no serious hurry to lose the weight i have 1 stone to be healthy apparently which would being me to 9 stone 14lbs but that may be too slim for my liking , if i lose that over 3-4 mths a wouldnt mind at all xx

p.s protein is the most important thing in repairing muscle and you do need carbs to burn to fuel but your body will attack the fat and burn that as well. the body will only burn muscle mass as a last resort and if there's no carbs or fat to attack.

Back