Dismiss Notice
Welcome to MiniMins! Be sure to check out our complete listing of diets on the front page including Slimming World, Exante, Weight Watchers, Cambridge Weight Plan, Herbalife, and hundreds more.

advice on cycling please?

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by JULY2010, 9 May 2010 Social URL.

1. JULY2010

JULY2010 Full Member

Diet:
    CD SS
    Afternoon all,

Ive got an urge to get my dads bike out of the shed and go for a ride.
    Ive not been on a bike for over 15 years and i was just wondering how hard is it to get back into it?
    I was also wondering (more for the larger people) does it hurt your arse like mad?
    Ive got to have a go as its an ongoing urge.
    Thanks
    Tammy

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. Predator

Predator Silver Member

Start Weight:
    241.8lb
    Current Weight:
    212.1lb
    Goal Weight:
    175lb
    Lost(%):
    29.7lb(12.28%)
    Diet:
    Slim & Save
    Hi, I hadn't been on a push bike in like 6 years, and when I did get back on it was very hard to adjust at first, like I kept feeling as though I was going to fall off, but after a bit you'll get used to it again just make sure the tyres are pumped up nice and solid!

If you have a really hard saddle yeah it'll hurt your bum a bit, it all depends on the saddle really, last time I went on a bike I was 18 stone and it wasn't so bad, but the tyres really did need to be pumped up hard otherwise it was so unstable... :p

4. Happy Holidays

Happy Holidays Gold Member

Start Weight:
    9st11lb
    Current Weight:
    8st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    8st9lb
    Lost(%):
    1st2lb(11.68%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Yeah it is easy to get back on a bike, but I'd go somewhere near home & just take a short bike ride at first & gradually build it up.

Make sure the bike is in good condition, i.e. tyres pumped, chain oiled, brakes working etc.

Have fun:p

5. cherl889

cherl889 Loves this site!

Start Weight:
    11st1lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(3.87%)
    Diet:
    Vlcd
    I hadnt been on a bike for years, not since i was a kid and last year i went on one for the 1st time around france. I borrowed my mums (which i have not given back and she has forgotten about). The seat really hurt so i brought a silicon cover to go over the top of the seat. Its was very soft. I was a bit wobbly at 1st but soon got the hang of it, its very tiring though if like me last year you have not done any exercise in a while. Good luck and let us know how you get on. I do recommend those seat covers though, got mine in halfords

6. saunders0000

saunders0000 love my family

Start Weight:
    19st1lb
    Current Weight:
    15st10lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    3st5lb(17.6%)
    Diet:
    slimming world
    hi tammy when i rode my bike last year the seat did hurt my bum alot so i got a new seat from halford nice silicone one did the job and about £15 well worth it :D

where abouts in north wales are you were going on holiday there on saturday hope weather brightens up :rolleyes:

7. JULY2010

JULY2010 Full Member

Diet:
    CD SS
    Im in Wrexham, loads of nice country parks around here for me to practice my cycling. Luckily my mum has a decent size drive for me to practice on before i hit the public places.
    Thanks for the tips on the silicone seats, ill see how i get on before i buy one.
    As for the tyres, cant you buy concrete tyres!!!!! ha ha ha

8. Jim

Jim Big Boy

Start Weight:
    25st0lb
    Current Weight:
    13st1lb
    Goal Weight:
    13st1lb
    Lost(%):
    11st13lb(47.71%)
    Badges:
    Maintainer
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Tammy, just make sure you get a p[roper female saddle for it or you'll have more than a sore bum, and a gel saddle will help.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.