Advice Please

Bimbie Finn

Im looking to start going the Gym on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday Morning it opens at 7am have to be at work for 8am so have got roughly 30 to 35mins workout.

My Questions are:~

1/ Do i eat need to eat anything before going to the gym

2/ What are the best excerises to do i normally just do the Crosstrainer, Treadmill and Bike i feel to self-conscious to use anything else its mainly my tummy i want to get down. I have a abs chair at home which im starting to use at night.

3/ How long do i need to exercise for and what intensity??

My Gym membership i can use Classes, Swimming, Squash but ive only used the Gym.

I am 14st 4lbs would love to get down to 12st im 5ft 8, im eating alot healthier, Walking to work on Tue and Thursday Mornings.

Thanks Inadvance

xx

1. Absolutely yes. You need to eat something before the gym. You need something to fuel your workout. One time I went to the gym without breakfast and almost fainted. It was a really scary (and embarrassing!) experience.

2. Those cardio machines are great, I also like weight machines too as for every 3lb of fat you turn into muscle, you burn an extra 100 calories a day doing nothing. It also makes sure all the weight you're losing is fat and not muscle. I also use a weight machine called that Abdominal R.O.M I think and that really works my abs. Also doing crunches on an exercise ball really helps too!
Maybe also try to work some swimming into your schedule, breast stroke can burn up to 60 cals per 10 mins and front crawl can burn up to 80 per 10 mins, so its really worth doing.

3. With 30 minutes that you've got I'd go for high intensity training when possible, such as on the cross trainer try for 40 seconds on 60 rpm and 20 seconds on 70-80rpm. With the treadmill if you're not comfortable with running, try putting it on an incline to up the intensity. With the bike try 30 seconds on 3 or 4 resistance and then 30 seconds on 5 or 6 resistance. With swimming maybe do two or three lengths of breast stroke followed by two or three of front crawl.

Hope this helps :)

1. it is safer to consume light meal a hour before your workout session, so you would have sufficient energy.

2. i always prefer cross trainer, it is less straining on knees. you mentioned your gym membership includes classes and swimming. when you got too bored with the usual gym workout, joining aerobic classes and swimming would make your workout routine more interesting (and you will be more motivated to workout more regularly)

3. i would also suggest the workout duration from 30mins to 45mins. its more important to exercise regularly :)

Back