advice pls not convinced

oasis6918

Gold Member
I'm starting this on Friday, I've been on the website and calculated that at first I'll eat 35% of my daily intake on DD, this gives me 794 cals on DD and 2268 on UD. I'll be having two DD a week.
I guess I'm wondering if anyone is on similar calories and is still losing weight? And only having two DD a week?
I know how it's supposed to work but it seems 2268 cals on an up day is too high. should I have less cals that stated on UD or stick as close to 2268 as possible?
I have 68lb to lose in total. I've lost 19lb's in the two weeks since my baby was born, I don't want to put on any weight eating to much on UP days. Tia x

Hi , nobody as far as I ma aware is eating that many cals on their DDs and most of do 3 DD a week on Mon Wed and Fri then have the weekend as UPs, so I really can't tell you whether your rotation and cals will help you to lose weight. Bringing down your cals on your UP days wouldn't really help with the Juddd effect as you need the swing to enable the effect, howvwer eating less than your amount would lead to a lowere average cal intake? To be honest if you are going to level out your cals you may as well just calorie count?? I am not trying to put you off I am just wondering what will be best for you, I don't want you to do Juddd then put on weight or stay the same and think Juddd isn't working. Is there anyway you could see yourself doing say 500/2000?? DD s are hard to begin with but the more you do the easier they become and it really is just one day at a time, I don't know what to say really of course you could give your plan a go and see what happens??

Yeah I think I'll give it a go for a week and see what happens, if managing okay I can try and lower my cals on DD and do more than 2 days. At the moment I have a toddler and a 2 week old baby, not getting much sleep which is why I'm not starting at 500 but will try if I can

First of all, congratulations on having your baby! Only 2 weeks old - goodness, it seems like a lifetime since my DS was born!

I rather think that your calorie allowance sounds about right. I don't think Dr Johnson says anything in the book about doing the diet post childbirth - I'm fairly sure he doesn't recommend it during pregnancy.

So in the circumstances, given that you've still got some healing to do (I don't need to tell you that childbirth does a number on you! :)), I think I'd err on the up side with your calories. I'd even suggest that you do 1000 cals on your DD and 2000 on your UD - that'll average out at 1500 calories a day. In fact, I might even be tempted to do 1000 and 2500. Are you breast feeding?

I think even doing higher calorie DDs that this plan should work for you. My only niggle (and this is just the former nurse in me) is whether you should perhaps stick with something like SW for now so that you can eat plenty of free food and keep your energy levels balanced. Perhaps it might be worth checking with your doctor that it's ok to try a higher calorie version of JUDDD?

Lily said:
First of all, congratulations on having your baby! Only 2 weeks old - goodness, it seems like a lifetime since my DS was born!

I rather think that your calorie allowance sounds about right. I don't think Dr Johnson says anything in the book about doing the diet post childbirth - I'm fairly sure he doesn't recommend it during pregnancy.

So in the circumstances, given that you've still got some healing to do (I don't need to tell you that childbirth does a number on you! :)), I think I'd err on the up side with your calories. I'd even suggest that you do 1000 cals on your DD and 2000 on your UD - that'll average out at 1500 calories a day. In fact, I might even be tempted to do 1000 and 2500. Are you breast feeding?

I think even doing higher calorie DDs that this plan should work for you. My only niggle (and this is just the former nurse in me) is whether you should perhaps stick with something like SW for now so that you can eat plenty of free food and keep your energy levels balanced. Perhaps it might be worth checking with your doctor that it's ok to try a higher calorie version of JUDDD?

No I'm not breast feeding, I wouldn't know where to start with calories if I was. I've heard it can burn quite a few. I used to do do sw but at the moment I can't afford sw but I am going to speak to my doc at my 6 week check and see what they think re weight loss.

Yeah I could do 1000 cals DD and 2000 UD, I've read somewhere there needs to be atleast 1000cals between down days and up days is that right? Thanks for the advice it's really helpful x

oasis6918 said:
No I'm not breast feeding, I wouldn't know where to start with calories if I was. I've heard it can burn quite a few. I used to do do sw but at the moment I can't afford sw but I am going to speak to my doc at my 6 week check and see what they think re weight loss.

Yeah I could do 1000 cals DD and 2000 UD, I've read somewhere there needs to be atleast 1000cals between down days and up days is that right? Thanks for the advice it's really helpful x

The 1000 calorie difference thing doesn't seem to come from Dr J, but there's another forum I peruse where it's suggested that the 1000 cal difference is key. The's also a dieter on there who has 800-900 cal down days and 3000-4000 UDs and still loses weight (she's currently 189lbs). It's worth experimenting with, I think (I'm not recommending quite such high calorie up days, you understand :)), but definitely worth giving 1000/2000 a whirl.

What do others think?

Yeah 1000/2000 seems like a good idea, a week isn't going to do much harm. If I lose then great, if I sts or gain I can access on wi day and see how I feel from there. I have quite a lot to lose so I hope that's some sort of advantage x

Congratulations on your new baby. I think you're very brave to be contemplating a diet with a 2 week old.

Ive only been Juddding for just over a week, so I hardly qualify as an expert. I came to Juddd after doing a vlcd and losing a lot of weight. I then low carbed for a while but my weight loss stalled so I came to Juddd off my last few pounds.

I exercise quite heavily as I'm training for two races in the autumn, but it's probably no harder than looking after a newborn. I'm eating 600-800 cals on my DDs and about 1800 on my UDs. I'm happy to lose slowly because I'm near to my target weight.

I think if you were to try and Juddd with very low DDs then you might be setting yourself up to fail given your new baby. It might be better to have higher DDs to start with and see how you get on. Then if you don't lose, you know it's because your dds are too high and you can decide for yourself if this is the right time for you to be eating very low cal a few days a week.

Might be a good idea to make sure you're eating healthy food or taking a supplement to keep you well at the same time.

I was losing weight happily on 500 DD and 2200 ish UD, with 2 down days a week. Lost on av. 1.5 lbs a week. I am quite active and follow a paleo (low carb) style diet even on up days, so I honestly don't know if this'll apply to you. But try whatever suits and see. But be prepared to review of its not working for you.

I didn't realise your baby was only 2 weeks old, I take my hat off to you wanting to diet at this time as you will lose weight naturally in the first couple of weeks after giving birth anyway. In all honesty I would just try to eat healthily until the weight loss stalls then contemplate Juddd I have 5 Children the youngest being 20 mths so know how Mums needs come way down in the list of priorities, My worry is that you won't be getting the nutrition you need on your DD s and you need to focus quite a bit during the first couple of weeks when to be honest you will have enough to stress about. This is of course only my opinion and if you decide to do Juddd I will support you all the way but I am just wondering whether this is the right time for Juddd ? xx

@Lily I am an ex nurse too, I worked as an RGN for 13 yrs gave it up when my 7 yr old was born x

bajoleth said:
I didn't realise your baby was only 2 weeks old, I take my hat off to you wanting to diet at this time as you will lose weight naturally in the first couple of weeks after giving birth anyway. In all honesty I would just try to eat healthily until the weight loss stalls then contemplate Juddd I have 5 Children the youngest being 20 mths so know how Mums needs come way down in the list of priorities, My worry is that you won't be getting the nutrition you need on your DD s and you need to focus quite a bit during the first couple of weeks when to be honest you will have enough to stress about. This is of course only my opinion and if you decide to do Juddd I will support you all the way but I am just wondering whether this is the right time for Juddd ? xx

@Lily I am an ex nurse too, I worked as an RGN for 13 yrs gave it up when my 7 yr old was born x

Yeah I'm very lucky my baby is quite laid back and easy to run around after and my lb just turned 2 and he is so well behaved, I have a lot to lose and while I'm in the right frame of mind to lose weight I need to really give it ago. I lost 4 and a half st after my first, it all went back on since and mostly with this pregnancy so I'm starting again.
I really appreciate everyone's opinion and advice, which is why I'm on here as it may not be the right time for me, this is why I've given myself this week to look into it properly and take advice before I make my final decision. I'm currently doing slim fast this week and getting on fine but of course this is much different to JUDDD. Thank you everyone :)

I started on slim fast. A week later on juddd. Still on my first week so no expert, but it's good fun. As your a new mum I would only say give yourself some time to adjust. X

Yeah I'm 17st.5lb's I have a lot to lose too I only had my baby 2 weeks ago I thought I'd have a few bigger losses at the beginning but your right any loss is a loss and 2lb is still a lot physically, just in my head it doesn't seem much x

Back