Advice really needed about slow cooker!

ConfusedGirl

Hi everyone. I am not very good at cooking lol so really need some advice wether this sounds ok or not.

I am making a stew sort of thing in the slow cooker and want it to be ready for about 6 or 7 when i get home from work later on today. This is what i have done: Put some steamed veg in microwave until it was softened and then put it in slow cooker, boiled some potatoes until they were half way done then put them into slow cooker, browned some casserole beef peices in frylight and then put them ontop in the slow cooker. And then made up a jug of beef oxo cubes with hot water then poured that on top.

Does this sound ok? And i have put it on high (about 1 oclock) would it be ok to change it to low at half 2 when i leave and would it be done for around half 6ish?

The veg wont go all mushy will it? Or the poatoes?

Thanks so much im useless at all this cooking stuff haha!! :eek::eek:

It should be fine. I don't bother par boiling the veg. I only quickly brown the meat.

Maybe a tin of tomatoes?Have you put herbs/spices in or it might be a bit tasteless.

Hmm, I think you might find it's a bit overcooked. If I were you I wouldn't have bothered precooking the veg or the potatoes and would then have just cooked it on low for about 6/8 hours. Having it on high for an hour and a half and then low for 4 hours will be around the equivalent time but because you pre-cooked the veggies they'll probably need a bit less time.

And with a slow cooker you usually only need to use about half the liquid you would if cooking normally so the stew might be a bit thin and need thickening depending on how much you used. but don't worry about it oo much - it'll all still be edible and the meat will be nice and tender.

There are loads of internet sites devoted to slow cooker recipes so why not have a look or see if your local library has any slow cooking books. My libraries have been getting in loads of new ones as there's obviously a demand for them.

oh no i didnt have any herbs or anything in! Im moving in about a week so havnt got much in at the minute! I was thinking about adding the tomatoes but thought nah itll be ok with the oxo, wish i had now!

Is it ok putting the meat in last? couldnt remember wether it was put the meat in first or last!

Hmm, I think you might find it's a bit overcooked. If I were you I wouldn't have bothered precooking the veg or the potatoes and would then have just cooked it on low for about 6/8 hours. Having it on high for an hour and a half and then low for 4 hours will be around the equivalent time but because you pre-cooked the veggies they'll probably need a bit less time.

And with a slow cooker you usually only need to use about half the liquid you would if cooking normally so the stew might be a bit thin and need thickening depending on how much you used. but don't worry about it oo much - it'll all still be edible and the meat will be nice and tender.

There are loads of internet sites devoted to slow cooker recipes so why not have a look or see if your local library has any slow cooking books. My libraries have been getting in loads of new ones as there's obviously a demand for them.

Thanks so how long do you think i should put it in for and on what setting? So that the veg and potatoes dont overcook?

It is right to put the meat on top as it cooks more quickly. It will probably be swimming in liquid but you could remove some and if the potatoes haven't broken down and helped to thicken it, you could sprinkle in instant mash to thicken it instead. I LOVE stew in the slow cooker!

Also if the veg is mushy just consider it as a veg and beef soup instead. It will still be gorgeous!!!!!!

It is right to put the meat on top as it cooks more quickly. It will probably be swimming in liquid but you could remove some and if the potatoes haven't broken down and helped to thicken it, you could sprinkle in instant mash to thicken it instead. I LOVE stew in the slow cooker!

Also if the veg is mushy just consider it as a veg and beef soup instead. It will still be gorgeous!!!!!!

Mmm thanks thats made me feel a bit better about it all mushing up haha :D

I have just put it on low, so it was on high for an hour and now it will be on low for 4 hours? Would this be ok or should i just leave it on low for 3 hours? :eek:

Either will be fine. If it is on low an hour won't make a lot of difference. The more times you use the cooker, the more you will get to know by instinct. I have left mine on for much longer and it is fine (but I don't pre-boil veg unless I only have a couple of hours to cook something).

Try cooking a joint of meat (chicken maybe). It comes out so tender! (just rest the joint on top of a few balls of rolled up tinfoil so it doesn't stick to the bottom!)

There are loads of really good slow cooker recipe books on Amazon.

I never bother part cooking any of the ingredients that I put in my slow cooker (apart from meat and poltury). I just chuck it in all and leave it from 8:30am to 6:00 that was its ready when i get in :) currently got a beef stew on the go at the moment with beef (obviously) new baby pots, carrots, onions and an oxo cube :)

Well ive just tried some of it and mmmmmm was lovely!! The veg was soft but not too mushy, just nice :)

I now have another question though, my OH won't be back til ten and will want some for tea when he gets home so would it be ok to leave it on the warm setting until then?

Back