Advice required for strenuous sport

CaptainPugwash

I played rugby for the first time since I been on the diet, there was good and bad news.

The good news was back didn’t hurt nowhere near as much as it used too.

But the bad news, I had no energy at all, every time I came up from a scrum I saw stars. When I got home I was hungry I had to eat something L.

Can some one suggest what I can do to give more energy for the game, I did eat an extra bar before the match, but it didn’t really work, bye the way I’m on SS

Thanks

Hi CP, I do strenuous cardio and weights work out at least twice a week and find that I have to have an SS+ day when doing exercise. If you read other posts most CDC's seem to say that there isn't a great deal of difference in terms of weight loss between SS and SS+. The main reason most people seem to want to stick to SS is because they are worried that if they introduce any food early on they will be on a slippery slope and not be able to stick to the diet. I used to play rugby myself and hubby still does so I know the energy levels required to play, particularly if it is a crappy game where you are scrumming down every few minutes! I think when you have a game on you should SS+ the night before and on the day that you play. If you are feeling dizzy then you really should stop playing, you could get seriously hurt or collapse the scrum and cause someone else to get hurt (nag over!). I will ask hubby when he gets in from work if he has any advice..........he is also a qualified gym instructer so should be able to help. I am sure that KD or another CDC angel will be along soon.

Any how...............did you win!!!!

I wouldn't have the energy bar or drink as that could take you out of ketosis. Instead have an extra shake/bar that day or do as dotti said and have an ss+ meal like chicken and broccoli to keep your energy levels up. I'm doing a lot of walking and was knackered after an 8 mile walk. I spoke to my CDC about it and we decided that on days I go for long walks i'll have an extra pack. That's enough for me but if you're playing rugby then you'll probably need a small meal. Stick to the ss+ guidelines for the meal and you'll be fine.

Hi CP, Hubby now home. He says;
The whole idea of the cambridge diet is to reduce carb intake and put body in state of ketosis thus making the body use stores of glycogen in liver and then use fat etc.. consequently playing strenuous sport like rugby is not recommended but steady exercise is. He suggests that you have carbs the evening before, and morning of the game (pasta & porridge), stay hydrated (water before and or isotonic sports drink during or after playing) and then revert to CD after. Basically have a little break from the strict CD regime to compensate for the strenuous exercise and feed your body. If the dizziness continues see you GP, consider stopping playing until target reached and speak with your CDC. The activity should negate any reduced weight loss because of the slip in CD.
Hope this helps! Have a good week!:D

I thought I will just let you know I played again last weekend. I had a little chicken the night before and in the morning and then had a energy drink before the game. It did the trick, I felt fine, in the fact the best I felt for a long time.

Thanks for the advice.

Back