Advise please

shelz

Silver Member
I did CD last year and lost three stone. Since then have been eating healthily & exercising and I cant get below 9 stone 9.

I can eat minimal food and exercise for an hour a day and still nothing. Im 26.

Do any of you have any advice or diet types you recommend me following? I want to loose this last half a stone by August (wedding day!).

Why do you want to lose weight? I'm sorry but the weight you're at for the height you are sounds perfectly normal and healthy. Of course it all depends on your frame and build. Maybe you can try checking out the CD section or change your workout to something toning like pilates? Or cut down on calories even if you're eating minimally. To sort of give your body a boost. Whatever you decide, good luck :)

I know I am within the healthy range for my height but I want to get to 9 stone, this was my target when starting Cambridge and I feel that it should be the goal I make for August. I went throught a stage of being stupidly thin (7.5stone), so I want to find a happy medium. I cant do Cambridge any more due to having a BMI of less than 25.

I do an hour of exercise a day - Biggest Loser DVD one day and hour gym the next. I rotate these every day. Typical menu includes museli/bran flakes with water, apple/pear or yoghurt for lunch and a meal for tea (sandwhich or WW meal). I dont see why nothing is happening now.

I'm with chocolate cat- you are eating far too little for the amount of exercise you're doing (by my count a max of 750 a day or so?? Thats crazy!!)- your body has more than likely gone into starvation mode. The only way to fix this is to eat at least your BMR calories for at least a month or two until your body has a chance to recover, then reduce them again and hopefully you'll see your losses return.
After doing a vlcd your body will have been confused already- you need to eat 'normally' to allow it to realise you're not starving it and it doesn't need to hold onto the extra lbs. You will have an initial gain, but this will be fluid/food, not fat, in your system, and it WILL settle down as your system recovers.
Seriously- you have to re-assess what you're doing at the minute or you will end up ill.
HTH?

I agree with Irishmum, you're not eating enough I'm afraid! Try to not to obsess over numbers, I'm sure you look great!

So I should cut the exercise down and up the intake - Is that the advice? What is an acceptable amount of exercise daily for a 'normal' diet?

So I should cut the exercise down and up the intake - Is that the advice? What is an acceptable amount of exercise daily for a 'normal' diet?

You dont have to cut your exercise down but you most certainly do have to put your calorie intake to at least 1000-1200.

I would say 30mins daily exercise is OK, more if you can. The exercise will have more to do with fitness than weightloss at this point so please measure your waist and go by waist measurements as you will probably have gained muscle through exercise.

Most GP's recommend 30mins of exercise like walking or an exercise class/dvd. Of course you could do more if you want, but you'd have to eat more to 'fuel' it, which I don't think you want to do? Think of professional bodybuilders who eat crazy amounts of food to ensure their bodies are fit for their workouts? I know you're not doing that much, but you get the idea?
At the minute you're not losing at all because your body thinks theres a famine going on, so if you can 'fix' that by eating more/exercising less it's great in the long run because it'll be easier to maintain in the long run if/when you start eating 'normally' again when you get to your goal weight.

So you think by upping my intake to about 1200 calories a day and perhaps just doing 30 minutes exercise a day it will make a difference to the way I am loosing?

It is so frustrating to say the least. I know I am strictly speaking *healthy* but I am not at all comfortable or confident.

I must say that I wouldn't reccommend dropping the amount of exercise that you do. If you do, your fitness level will drop accordingly.

Use this calorie calculator to see how much you should be eating to maintain your current weight: Calorie Calculator

Eat that much for a month, then hit the CD again to shift those obstinate last 7lbs :)

I must say that I wouldn't reccommend dropping the amount of exercise that you do. If you do, your fitness level will drop accordingly.

Use this calorie calculator to see how much you should be eating to maintain your current weight: Calorie Calculator
But an allowance needs to be made foodwise for the amount of exercise thats being done?
At this moment the exercise is being done in an attempt to lose weight, not raise fitness levels- and weight is not being lost basically because the body is holding onto every nutrient it's getting. If she keeps up that level of exercise, she's going to need to eat a LOT more to counteract the effects of starvation mode.

Google 'BMR Calculator' to discover the minimum amount of cals you should be intaking to avoid any long-term damage. This is the amount your body needs to function properly.

Also consider the way weight watchers works, you earn bonus points which you are meant to use/eat for excercise being done.

It is so frustrating to say the least. I know I am strictly speaking *healthy* but I am not at all comfortable or confident.

I think that statement speaks volumes, i'm sorry but i'm being honest this is more about your self esteem issue's will dropping those few pounds really make such a big difference
you are going to make yourself very ill if you don't stop putting your body through this kind of punishment.

I followed the advise given last night. Went out with a friend and had a grilled salmon fillet, jacket potato and salad. Got on the scales this morning and tehy were down to 9 stone 8.5. Couldn't believe it. I did do my hour workout before hand too - dont think I could survive without my exercise. Maybe the secret is eat more to loose more. I think I shall continue this for a few weeks and see what progress is made.

Hey, that's fantastic news. Yep, definitely have to eat to lose. Keep going like this and let us know if you get rid of those few pounds then :)

And try not to weigh daily? I know it's tempting, but if you hop on the scales every day you're opening yourself up to unnecessary dissapointment just because you happen not to have pooped yet or something daft :D

Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat so doing lots of exercise may actually make you put on weight. I'd ignore the scales and see what you think your body looks like and how you feel; maybe you just have the wrong target weight. My ultra fit friend weighed herself the other day and she is half a stone heavier than my target weight but she certainly doesn't look it - it's just the muscle.

Also remember that muscle weighs more than fat so doing lots of exercise may actually make you put on weight.

Just to clarify something here. Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat, though for the same weight, there is less volume.

Also you can't gain muscle when in a calorie deficit, which I assume shelz is planning on, though there can be some water retention after exercise which can give a misleading gain or STS on the scales

Back