AJ's LL Management Journey!

Hi Aj et all......

I am finding the last two discussion really insightful and thank you so much to all that have posted...

Both threads are really helping me at the moment.

The first, being the adapted child in management has really struck a cord. I am eating the same thing almost day in and day out as I know this is working for me and am so scared to try anything new. I don't want to get to the "bored" stage as I know when this happens all will go wrong I have decided to speak to my LLC about this on Monday as it does concern me greatly. I am fine at the moment but know myself only too well and want to get this issue delt with before it becomes aproblem.

The second is very close to my heart also... I had a bit of a run in with my daughter (nearly 10) this week. i really don't want everything that goes into her mouth to be an issue but I am finding I am worrying more than ever about what she is consuming. She is actually underweight for her age but really dosn't look it and fairly active. I have noticed for a long time that when she has a growing spurt she eats so much more and her behaviour is really very good..when she stops the spurt she eats like a bird, only wanting the wrong foods and she can be a little trying!!! At the moment I think I am worrying unnecessarily but if I don't keep an eye on things we may have an issue. She is so like her father in many ways, physically, and he only eats when hungry and stops when full, I am hoping she follows this trend. I don't and never have had a sweet tooth so am not really sympathetic to sugar cravings, although give me carbs any day!! Her father does love the odd bit of cake/choc/sweet and so does she. I guess if the 80/20 concept can become the norm in our house we should be O.K. One thing I have always done is use the sweet stuff as a reward, which I now know is very wrong, this has stopped since starting LL and I think this has confused her.

But I am going on so sorry, but these conversations have been really really useful xxxxxxxx

I am also finding this very interesting. Since starting LL I have become increasingly obsessed by my daughters eating (she is nearly 8). My childhood consisted of strict rationing as far as food in general was concerned and we almost never got sweets etc (when we did a mars bar was shared between 5 of us). Consequently I was slim as a child but as soon as I started earning my own money my weight increased dramatically by probably 4.5 stone in the first 2 years and has been going up ever since. I have watched my husbands eating habits (he was always allowed to eat whatever he wanted and doesn’t have a weight problem) and decided to bring our daughter up the same. However this doesn’t really seem to be working for her. Over the last 18 months I have noticed an increase in her wanting to graze and am now putting my foot down once I think she has had enough, even to the point of not letting her have pudding if I think she should be full after her dinner. I am just not sure if I am doing the right thing. The last thing I want to do is create a problem with food for her, she has probably picked up enough of a bad relationship with food from living with me! She is well covered but not overweight and I am not sure if my current situation living with LL is just messing it all up for her. Any insight would be appreciated! I am already making sure we always have fruit in the house etc and few sweets so the rubbish is limited but the continual grazing is worrying me.

AJ your comment about your lower target is very interesting too. Its so amazing we can be hiding something like that from ourselves. I don’t know how tall you are but I am 5ft and currently weigh 16 having lost 2.6 stone in first 7 weeks. After being overweight for so many years I really don’t know where my healthy weight is and have no idea of where my target should be. I think the fact that you have been at 10.7ish for a while before deciding to lose more weight probably makes your decision a sound one but as Tootsie said please make sure you don’t drop too low! I think watching the scales dropping every week could certainly become addictive!

I find you totally inspirational! Sorry for the long ramble, I hope it’s not inappropriate to have posted it here and hope I haven’t sent anyone to sleep!

Karion, thanks for posting thread for your diary, I will respond within your diary but hopefully will make that post much shorter!

Ps will be at Falkirk some time next week

I was walking along the high street this afternoon and saw me reflected in a mirror window and didn't recognise me!

Wow yes, I've done that. I think it gives us a much more accurate idea of where we are. When we know we are going to look at ourselves, I think something else goes on in the brain. Can't think what...lost for the right word:D Catching ourselves more unexpectedly..maybe at a different angle before weird brain stuff has a moment to set in and all that....
However, it tells me that I should be eating about 1800 cals a day to maintain, and I/m not eating more than 1400 really. That doesn't include any extra cals for exercise either.
I have tried to eat more today but seem extemely reluctant to actually do so. Apparently I don't want to put any weight on. In fact, I really, really don't want to put any weight on. I could add lots more reallys.
I can understand that. It's scary isn't it. All that work you've done and the fear of having to try and lose it again. I really can relate to that.

But I do think the body can get used to smaller amounts of calories. As you say, the added cheese etc might help 'up' the calories, whether you like it or not.

I do think increasing the calories slowly. Okay, so WLR says 1800 cals, but it doesn't know your history. Cambridge meals were calorie counted up to 1500, but when I finished them, I still stayed at 1500 for a couple more weeks whilst experimenting with my own choice of foods.

I then increased 100 cals at a time. Can't remember how long I stayed on each one though. A week maximum. Until I got to the maintenance cals.

Be careful though Amanda. Being addicted to losing weight will not help your eating habits. You can get such a buzz from seeing the scales move down, that it can cloud your judgement

Hopefully you'll get to a place before long, where your relationship with food will be more important to you than what the scales say.

Quote from Tootie: "But I am going on so sorry, but these conversations have been really really useful "

Toots, you're not 'going on'. I know just how useful writing it all down is, and you're welcome to do that here anytime!

Quote from Karen: "Ps will be at Falkirk some time next week"

I don't believe it! I just read one of your posts on another thread where you mentioned that you'd be in Scotland next week. I will be in Wales! Well, I'm not going down there 'till Tuesday. I'll PM you to see when you're coming up, if it's before Tuesday, perhaps we can meet for a coffee?

Hia Karion,

Thanks for your wisdom. I have decided that I will up the cals by using higher cal dressings. I am making my own honey and mustard dressing for tonight's salad. Officially, jams and honeys etc., are not allowed until week 12, but I think that it's time to get real. A lot of the LL advice relates to cooking without fats or oils, but I will start adding olive oil (not too much) to my salad dressings where appropriate. But that's all really. I don't need to eat any more bulk, the last thing I want to do is force myself to eat when not hungry!

An announcement!! (imagine trumpets playing tra-la-la-laaaaa)

This morning I bought a new bra 36C!!!!

I also bought two size 10, yes size 10 tops!!!!

I treated myself to lunch out at Wetherspoons. Had the warm chicken and bacon salad. Ate till I was full and left about a quarter of it. It's getting a bit easier to do. Apparently you can go on the jdwetherspoons website and find out the cals/fat content of the foods, so I'll have a browse later.

Sorry AJ its not Karen/Karion? who will be in Falkirk but me, Helen. Congratulations on the size 10's btw.

BTW would love to meet you if its not Karen you wanted! Don't know how to read or send PM's so not sure if you have sent me one!

Sorry Helen, having one of my 'confused' moments!

Yes, I did mean you. If you receive a PM and want to reply, just go to the bottom and click on 'reply' and write your message.

I've just read your posts on Karions thread. I see that you'll be spending time in Stirling, just up the road. Hopefully I will be back from Wales by then!

Have you been to NZ before, which island are you wanting to settle on. We took the kids there eight or nine years ago for a couple of months, just touring round the islands. Fantastic place, but too far from home and family for me!

Hey, thats OK, just didn't want you getting excited thinking you were meeting someone else!

Will be stopping at Stirling bank holiday monday night, would like to see the Falkirk Wheel then visit Hadrians Wall on the way home on the Tuesday.

We want to go to South Island but haven't visited yet so may change mind when we get there! Planning to visit next March and look into the job situation etc whilst there. We just about qualify on points but if DH can get a job we will be in a much better situation. This is the incentive for joining LL actually, not sure I would have fitted on a plane before!

Aw shucks, I'll still be in Wales. On the Tuesday I'm going down to Boreatton Park (the PGL activity holiday place) to pick up the kids, they're staying there for a few days over easter. Then back to Wales, and on Wednesday or Thursday back to Falkirk.

The South Island is absolutely beautiful. A place filled with stunning scenery from tropical rainforests and glaciers to heather covered hills and beautiful sandy beaches. I am glad you are going over to see it for yourself, you will have a fantastic adventure.

Get yourself innured into the local scenes by checking out websites (local news, politics, what's on, education, money, work opportunities) for the areas you may be interested in settling. It will give you a bit of local background information. I bet there are websites used by other British people who have settled in NZ who may be able to offer help and advice BEFORE you go. I found that NZ reminded me of a Britain of the 70's, I mean in terms of community spirit. I don't see much of it nowadays in Britain. It is a place of vast expanses with no people.

There are no motorways, but the main road equivalent to a motorway, and what we drove around the island on, we found that we rarely saw another vehicle. Aukland is a big city of course, and very built up, but that's on the North Island.

Thanks for that, the scenery is the reason we are thinking of settling in south island, its all interesting feedback.

Are you free tomorrow? Could stop for a coffee (or in my case water) on the way up if you like? Will prob be mid afternoon but have to pass Falkirk apparently to get to where we are staying (near Balquidder)

Hia Tommee

They will be on the gallery somewhere. I put another 'after' one on the gallery yesterday. I do have another 'before' pic which I need to scan onto the computer, I just haven't got round to it yet.

I know there's a way of incorporating all the photos together and post them on threads but I haven't got a clue how to do it!

I haven't done an update for a while so I'll just do one for yesterday.

Started the day with porridge made with skimmed milk. Added 10g of mixed seeds and nuts (from Holland and Barrett) to increase the cals. Lovely.

A couple of plums mid morning, then out to lunch to Wetherspoons where I had warm chicken and bacon salad and a cappachino. I don't know what the calories are but it is yummy. Gave most of the bacon to son though. And the croutons to Hubby.

A couple of hot oranges in the afternoon, then at tea time a small (home made) lentil soup followed by (home made)sweet and sour chicken with brown rice and salad for tea. I did my own honey and mustard dressing - gorgeous.

Later I used two hot chocolate packs (I'd missed one the day before) and had a massive HotChoc.

Haven't had salmon for a while, so I think I'll get some for Sunday tea time.

Lazy Sunday!

Although son woke me early to tell me that we had to go to the gym (he had an induction 9am Monday morning). I told him it was Sunday. Oh, he said. It was too late, I was awake, so I got up!

Porridge/seeds/fruit mix for breakfast.

Did a sort of 'special fried rice' (no added oil), with chicken, ham, egg, red peppers,spring onion, brown rice. Had it with spinach and honey/mustard dressing.

Hot oranges for a snack later.

Lasagna (home made), spinach, sweet potato.

Two juicy plums afterwards.

Just been watching a nature programme on BBC2 about a pride of lions - heartbreaking stuff. There must be a real dilemma for the people shooting these programmes to have to sit and watch 'nature take its course' and not intervene. Near the end some cubs were left in the tall grass while their mums had to hunt (the males had disappeared in another incident). When they returned, the cubs were gone. Never seen again. The oldest mum, who was 16, never got over it and three weeks later was still calling for them. She actually lay down and died a couple of days later.

Tomorrow morning have a second session with a local 'back fixer'. My back feels much better than last week, but it has been giving my gyp today. In fact I had to lie down this afternoon because I found sitting too painful again. I am not looking forward to a six hour drive on Tuesday, but I will just have to bite the bullet and get on with it. I will see the osteopath for manipulation and acupuncture on Thursday so I'm hoping that by the weekend I will be recovered.

Still feeling somewhat anxious about putting on weight, but actually this time away from the scales might be a good thing. I won't be going to meetings for a couple of weeks so I won't know whether I've put on until I go back. I've added the seeds/fruit mix to my porridge at breakfast time - that's about 41 extra cals. I have decided to have milk in coffee (if I have coffee) so that'll be a few more. And of course the home made honey and mustard dressing - not sure how many cals that'll add to my salad, but it all adds up.

Coming to the end of my 'cheese' week. Not noticed any particular feelings either way about eating it. But then again, that may change when bread is added to the equation. I used to love a cheese sandwich with white bread and plastered with butter. Hmmm. Methinks I won't be going THERE again!

Next week is BREAD week, and that'll be interesting. I don't think it'll be a trigger for me, but it does open out a lot more food choices for me - a much wider range. I will go for QUALITY breads rather than cheap and cheerful - one piece of something a bit special to have as part of a meal.

Hi AJ

Sorry to hear your backs still playing you up. You haven't left your children any where recently have you? I guess we share our thoughts and feelings on here but the truth is whilst we can offer support to each other ultimately we are just observers.

Your journey and words of advice have made a difference to me and for that I would like to thank you. If you find bread a bit moreish then I guess the question is 'what will you do about it?' , will you avoid your trigger food for the rest of your life? I am sure the more we deny ourselves something the more we want it, something about forbidden fruit.....

Next week is BREAD week, and that'll be interesting. I don't think it'll be a trigger for me, but it does open out a lot more food choices for me - a much wider range. I will go for QUALITY breads rather than cheap and cheerful - one piece of something a bit special to have as part of a meal.

The bread was a difficult one for me. Strangely enough, not at the beginning, though for some strange reason, I had a weight gain the first time I introduced it. Think it was only one slice too:confused:

Had another slice the next day...and put on another pound:confused: I was so upset.

Fortunately it settled down and weight came off again.

Very glad I stuck with it.

I now eat hovis seeded and really enjoy it.

Best of luck, but I'm sure you'll be fine :)

Monday, and a busy day ahead. Dropped kids and friends off at the swimming pool and went for a bit of manipulation (my back) in readyness for mammoth drive tomorrow (6 plus hours). Then took them all to town to do bank, library, pay balance of cruise (a blooming fortune), pick up Easter presents for the kids (Jayne Now66 CD, Jamie XBox game) as we won't buy chocolate. Went to SUMO, the Japanese cafe, for lunch - it's great eating with chopsticks, it takes so long I always feel full long before I can finish a plate!

First thing had porridge/seeds/fruit, and when I got back, did a couple of hot oranges with the ginger/cinnamon. Tea time was a hotch potch of leftovers to be finished off - fried rice with all sorts of stuff thrown in, a bit of spag bol, some sweet potato. Afterwards we had strawberries and raspberries with yoghurt that needed finished off. I think I ate too much though. I will have to watch that. The fridge looks forlorn now. Just before we set off I'll wipe down the shelves.

While I was at the library I finally, after weeks of procrastinating, scanned a 'before' picture which I truly dislike, and, with Pierce's help (ta duck) have got it onto the gallary. It was taken when we visited the cablecar in Madeira. Looking at it now I cannot believe I looked like that. I hope it remains a bad memory.

Bought a couple of DVD's - Sin City and Saw. I've already seen Sin City - loved the comic book violence AND it's a bit of a love story too! A bit scared of watching Saw though, I have heard that it is a bit psychologically scary.

Jamie had final induction at local council gym this morning. This means he is a 'teen member' now and can come along for one-off sessions on Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday from 3.30-5.00 for £1.50. I have decided that, once my back is 100%, I will join him! I can pay for single sessions too - £3.50. I will concentrate on building muscle tone rather than treadmill/cross trainer stuff. I have to do something about the saggy bits.

It'll be a challenge over the next couple of weeks, being away from home and staying with various relatives. I will also be attending a couple of "do's". A lot to think about. I've got my LL books, plus some back copies of magazines to read if I feel the need. I can also come on-line, certainly some of the time, when I'm at my mums.

Back