AJs Maintenance Journey Part 1

Hia Goombagirl,

Hmmm Meringue-gate - I like that, a hint of intrigue mixed with a bit of secrecy....

".....the thought that came into my head was, "Well, they are low fat, it's not so bad......."

That comment has made me realise something. Meringue nests have always been acceptable when I've been dieting precisely because they are low fat. I have never thought about the massive amount of sugar involved before. Never understood the way that sugar makes me want to eat more and more.

Now I have actually seen what happens when I eat sugar like that, it is a revelation. Now I know for sure what pushes my buttons, surely I am less at risk of reoffending?

We'll wait and see....

Tonight was meeting night. I found that I'd lost a bit more, almost another lb. Still obviously too rigid. I have some ideas to introduce more carbs like bread, although I feel a bit anxious about bread (remember the jam). I don't actually have any jam in the house - it is too much of a risk at the moment. I am just over 10 stone 1lb at the moment with a BMI of 22.9. I checked my body fat % again this morning its now 22% (last time 24%) - still within normal limits, but I probably shouldn't lose any more - getting a bit scrawny on top!

Anyway, had a great day because I had a trip out with the P6's who were orienteering at a local park. It was gorgeous weather too, which really added to the occasion.

I've just had fresh shelled peas, courgettes, spinach, red pepper and Arbroath smoked trout, stirfried with a bit of walnut oil and some blackbean sauce. Totally yummy.

I'll do a fresh fruit salad later - the apples I've got at the moment are really crispy and juicy - even my daughter is scoffing them!

Oh, I nearly forgot, tonight at the meeting my LLC gave me a sachet each of the new LL flavours to try. So I'll give you my verdict when I've had them.

Thanks again Goombagirl for your thoughtful comments - a great help to me!

Hi Aj,

As all the others have said it really is helpful reading about your experiennce#s because we identify issues and then actually make ourselfs think about them even if we are not going through them at the same time due to abstenience.

I'm very pleased to hear I haven't offeneded you, that is the last think I would want to do to anyone on this site. It is so helpful and you are all so kind and understanding that it really helps when you have those 'down days'.

On the subject of telling your lovely hubby, I suppose my thought at the moment (I go into week 12 thusday, yipee) is that if I lapse (which I haven't yet) or lapse and have something 'not allowed' when I am in management then I would i presume that I would feel incredibly guilty (why, I think I need to work this one out) and feel the need to confess to my 'sin', this must be the rebelious child?. Gosh when you write things out it is amazing how negative it all sounds isn't it! Anyway getting back to the point, I suppose I just wondered if you felt the need to tell him what had happened or do you have the strength now to know that it was a silly mistake and thats it, done and dusted. I really don't think he need to know unless, you feel you should share it and explain what happened to him, but as you say you use this as your tool and it works for you.

Basically like GG I have now got a bit of a fixtion on the
meringues and am really looking forward to them with some fresh fruit. Ae they low fat but high sugar then? and is that why you think you chosose them over something else (like the jam)

How many weeks have you now been out of management and coping well on your own (with the meetings that you still attend)? I do think you are doing so well and can't believe you are continuing to lose weight.

Have a good evening xx

Hi GG,

Your doing well too, great news. I am pleased to hear your weight has stabilised.

Well you are certainly a strong women turning down the advances of Galaxy and Dairy Milk when they are staring you in the face on a big night like EUROVISION!. I used to be the same, it was an excuse to actually eat chocolate or loads of f*****g crap with my boyfriend rather than in secret. Fortunately this year I am on LL but had a migraine and went to sleep at 6 missing the whole thing! Oh well there always next year to look forward too.

Must read that Eating Less book again (thanks Pixie for recommending it!).

What book is this then? sounds like a good read.

Mrs L,

I have been reading your posts with enthusiasm. You seem very wise and have given me some interesting things to go away and think about. I read your blog on sunday and was very inspired.

By the way, If you and hubby do get around to having yor own pub one day, I somehow doubt you will be the two loveable fatties and you definatly won't be a real Mrs Lard.

I was going to leave a comment, but my computer for some reason would not let me. It's another very emotional journey and well worth a read to all you newbies out there.

Good luck to all of you, whatever stage you are at xx :):party0011:

Well, as I mentioned earlier, inspired by AJ's disclosure, I decided to do a thought record on my compulsion to eat food when I see it. I really wanted to understand why I was doing what I was in the habit of doing (however occasional), even in abstinence.

It's on my blog as I thought it was probably too much for here.

If you are interested, please take a peek and comment if it strikes a chord or you think I've lost the plot. It's the most recent post, "I'm on the seafood diet".

I think this is an important issue for many of us, isn't it?

Mrs L xxxx

Hia Betty,

Firstly, please, please be assured that I won't take offence at your searching questions or observations, and I always welcome your comments. Often I write things down and don't go into much detail, but I am more than happy to clarify anything that needs clarifying!

"........ I have now got a bit of a fixtion on the meringues and am really looking forward to them with some fresh fruit. Ae they low fat but high sugar then? and is that why you think you chosose them over something else (like the jam)........."

I guess that I have always assumed that low fat is good, but actually a lot of low fat foods contain lots of sugar. Meringues are particularly high in sugar and I have identified that they create a desire in me to eat more and more. It is all part of my previous self-destructive eating habits which mushroomed out of control over time. I would attempt to rein them in while dieting but continue to eat foods high in sugar and low in fat not realising that I was still feeding the sugar habit. Sugar is slowly being recognised as being a bigger problem than fat precisely because of the cycle of bingeing it can create in some people. The more you eat, the more you want to eat.

"........How many weeks have you now been out of management and coping well on your own (with the meetings that you still attend)? ........"

I reckon its just three weeks since the end of the 12th week. As far as the 'still losing weight' bit is concerned, yes I am a bit worried about it, but have gradually realised that I have big issues regarding putting on weight. I associate it with such negative times of my life, perhaps not surprisingly! Now that I have realised this, perhaps I can deal with it and move on.

Mrs L! I've just been on to your blog and left a message. Loved reading all your stuff, particularly the "TR". Read my comments.....

AmandaJayne

Good morning all.

The book I mentioned, Betty, is Eating Less by Gillian Riley. I got it out of the library after seeing it in a post by Pixie. It is the most significant thing I've read whilst on this diet - fits in with the foundation stuff but really addresses the subject of addictive desires(usually for sugar) and how to change your thinking. I have bought a copy and intend reading it again and again forever so I don't forget! The author originally worked with smoking addicts and applies the same principles to food addicts like us.

Another book worth looking at is called Perfect Portion by Linda Gassenheimer (spotted it in library by chance). It's a Dorling Kindersley book with life size photos of portion sizes. It's incredibly powerful and has genuinely upset people I've shown it to, especially the page on cakes! I took it to my foundation group and several people subsequently bought it, including my LLC who uses it in management meetings. It uses easy measurements like a handful or two fingers width. I've bought a copy of that too now! I'm getting another book I reserved at the library later on mentioned on the forum called The Truth about Food - I'll let you know if it's good.

On a more frivolous note, I have now bought my first lot of clothes since starting this diet. I got 4 tops, a mini skirt(!), jeans and some shorts, all for £22.75 - 1st time I've ever had success in a charity shop:). I'd taken in some stuff and a pair of jeans caught my eye... Just need some summer weather now.

Mrs L, I'm off to read your latest post now - sounds interesting.

Evening all,

AJ, thanks, it is so good to here your response. I am so inquisitive, you have come such a long way with how much weight you have lossed in total and how you have written your diary. It is just so inspiring and I really enjoy reading your posts, along with everyone else's may I add. It's such a huge help to speak to you as you have 'been there and done it'. I have decided that I am ging to keep a diary once I am in management so I can keep track of my thoughts and food patterns etc.

So you have finally cracked the sugar association, great news. You will probably feel a whole lot better in yourself too if you are not eating foods so high in processed sugar.

As for the weight loss. I think that once you become more confident with what you are eating and that you are eating for nutrition and well being rather than emotionally for desire, I think you will settle at a healthy weight that you maintain with ease. But you are doing so well anyway, I wouldn't worry too much until you are ready to tackle it head on. xx

Goombagirl

Thank you for your reply, I shall have a look in my local library and see if I can get hold of them. They sound like a good read. The one on portion sizes sounds like something we should all have, it is amazing when you look at what you really need and what you actually eat, just wish I listened earlier. Still this time I mean business.

On a more frivolous note, I have now bought my first lot of clothes since starting this diet. I got 4 tops, a mini skirt(!), jeans and some shorts, all for £22.75 - 1st time I've ever had success in a charity shop:). I'd taken in some stuff and a pair of jeans caught my eye... Just need some summer weather now.

:bliss:

Good on you girlie, you deserve it, I bet you look gorgeous in that mini. Get those pins out and flaunt that fab lil figure you have (well when the sun comes back anyway!) xx

Mrs L,

I am off to read you blog too. Thank you xx

Well, I bought some wholemeal pittas yesterday and had two toasted and stuffed with watercress, red pepper, chopped tomatoes, and tuna for lunch today. It is all part of my 'eat more' campaign. Lets see what happens eh?

While I was at Tescos earlier I saw some little boxes of 'mothers day' chocolates reduced to clear (69p). I bought 2 boxes because they are mostly dark chocolate.

When I got home and was unpacking in the kitchen the thought came in my head "why not have a box now?" Perhaps it was not surprising. Previously, I would have bought 'stuff' from the supermarket which I would earmark for secret eating and now was the time to do it, I was alone, the kids were out and about. The urge was really strong but I resisted.

There were a couple of reasons why I resisted and one was the thought of coming onto Minis later and having to explain to you all what I had done. Therefore I spent a bit of time mentally trying to justify it TO YOU ALL and obviously couldn't! I thought, should I just chuck it all out (like last time), but decided to 'work through it' and learn that the world does not end if I don't give in to these urges.

Instead I made a pan of soup. Butternut squash, sweet potato, 1/2 leek, 1 apple, chicken stock. It's just bubbling away in the kitchen. I then decided to come on to Minis to tell you all about it, get it down on paper, so to speak.

Found out that I can do Intermediate 2 in Maths and Higher in English at my local College starting September, finishing the following May. Each course is two evenings a week - Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday 6 - 9. It is a huge undertaking but I feel that I need to do them at the same time. I won't be able to attend LL meetings except occasionally, but I can still do pop ins if I need the support. It'll be good practice for do the OA courses afterward!

Feeling quite excited actually (about the English, less so about the Maths). It is a salutory lesson to anyone reading this who is still at school (!) and just messing around because school is boring, and subsequently not achieving the exams results they are capable of. You'll just end up like me, having to so them in your own time and expense!

I may have time to write again later...

Good news about your Maths and English - I do admire you for going for this. I'm quite relieved I got "education" done and dusted years ago although sometimes I'd like to redo university as I think I could have got more out of it.

Your soup sounds delicious - looking forward to making some next week. I'm trying to stick to the programme pretty closely but feel extremely tempted to bend the rules. Did you feel hungry at this stage? I keep thinking, "What can I eat?" and that worries me as it's reminiscent of the bad old days. Some mornings I'm ravenous though a food pack and a litre of water dampens that down. I'm eating way more than 1/2 lb of veg a day but can't (or won't) see that's a problem as I'm fixed on it being OK to eat unlimited veg! Btw I had some info about glycogen from LL HQ - I'm intrigued by what happens to our bodies! Here it is:

This is really quite individual, glycogen stores can be in continuous flux and energy requirements are different for different people. It would also depend very much upon what you choose to eat and the amounts that you eat during Route to Management, but it is also dependent upon how active you are. To speak very generally, your glycogen stores could start to replenish slightly from the very beginning of the Route to Management, but only very gradually, and this is part of the reason for reintroducing carbohydrate foods very gradually, to avoid the sudden storage of glycogen and the water associated with this. From around week 3 or 4 of the management programme slightly more carbohydrate is introduced in the form of fruit and then in week 5 starchy vegetables are introduced and these are higher in carbohydrate than other choices and so most people are probably more likely to start to replenish glycogen at this stage, and will probably continue to increase throughout the weeks.

As with everything there are no hard and fast rules as everybody is completely different.

Back to bending the rules: a while ago I made what I like to think was an adult decision to have a small piece of birthday cake. My 14 yr old son made a cake all on his own, in secret, while I was at my LL meeting! Although I can rationalise this in all sorts of ways, it also boils down to, "I want cake; I've got a good excuse; one piece won't hurt..." Obviously time for a thought record... And here's a pic of the cake.

Attachments

• after 009.jpg
    after 009.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 32
Hia Goombgirl,

Thanks for your encouragement about the 'continuing education', sigh, I wish I'd done it years ago, but at least now I will enjoy it and appreciate it.

Thanks too for putting in that information about glycogen. I had been totally unaware of how our bodies respond to certain types of food, and it is useful to gain an understanding of how best to minimise the effects of certain foods such as quick-release carbs, and other sugars, and maximise others such as slow-release carbs, and water.

The pic of the cake is fab. Isn't it funny how our son's are so capable in the kitchen. Jamie came home with a tuna pasta bake today (I had some for tea). He told me in detail how he made it and was enthusiastic about the experience. He doesn't take after me in that respect...I don't find cooking interesting at all.

Had a trip to Totnes yesterday - bit of a centre for alternative lifestyles and caters well for vegetarians/vegans/people into healthy or organic food so was on the lookout for ideas for my new eating life. I went into the local organic farm's shop and guess what I saw displayed prominently right by the entrance - yes, meringues:D :D! (All organic ingredients of course.) I had a good laugh to myself but didn't buy any. I'd never seen those on sale there before.

Starting to feel more like I did pre LL as far as interest in food goes. I felt so free during abstinence and the first bit of management but I realise now that was like being on holiday - not real life. It's so helpful to read about the way you have coped so well with the sugar craving episodes; it gives me hope! It's OK at the moment but I need to be on my guard.

"...and guess what I saw displayed prominently right by the entrance - yes, meringues:D :D..."

Oh that's it! I'm that 'meringue woman' now, am I? Maybe I should change my name...Heheheh:)

Good evening,

AJ, good luck with the education. I really do hope you go for it. You will have a new lease of life!!

How is it going on upping your food intake sightly? Have you registered with any of these weight loss sites such as wlr or tesco diets etc? Having read the maintainence diary's of some of the other mini's they all recommend these and seem to be doing well.

Im now in week 12 and really looking forward to management now. I was thinking of going into development because these last few weeks the weight has been comng of slowley and I am not going to make it to 9st in this short time. I am now 9st 12 and really don't feel I can do development. I think I was very near having a break down at the weekend and realised that another 3 weeks will be enough. Just hoping that I will lose a bit more in management, I have a horrible feeling I will put on.

Have a good Friday night xx

Mornin' Betty, and everyone else,

"...How is it going on upping your food intake sightly? Have you registered with any of these weight loss sites such as wlr or tesco diets etc? Having read the maintainence diary's of some of the other mini's they all recommend these and seem to be doing well..."

I think I'll have to wait and see over the next couple of weeks Betty. It will take a bit of time for the increases to take effect, I think. Thanks for asking.

I did register with Tesco e-diets, but in reality found it too difficult because it meant having to buy specific items and I realised that, for me, I needed more flexibility. My shopping basket does not include 'ready meals' nowadays. It is full of a variety of fruits, vegetables, and fresh proteins, wholemeal bread, pasta and rice, quality cheeses, etc. I put these together to make good simple meals. I don't need to be given specific menus. It is useful however to know in advance the calorie content of the ready meals because you can see at a glance how much you are eating. That is a big plus for a lot of people who use the service, I think.

I did a free three day trial with Weight Loss Resources and spent a lot of time inputting information to gauge my calorie intake and balance of carbs, proteins, fats, etc. It was illuminating because it immediately flagged up that I was not eating enough calories according to my height/weight/activity level. However, I did not go forward and register for £7.50 a month (I think) because I did not believe that I would be prepared to spend the time doing that every day, and I don't want to waste my money paying for something I don't use regularly (lets face it, I did it when I joined a gym often enough!)

"...Im now in week 12 and really looking forward to management now. I was thinking of going into development because these last few weeks the weight has been comng of slowley and I am not going to make it to 9st in this short time. I am now 9st 12 and really don't feel I can do development. I think I was very near having a break down at the weekend and realised that another 3 weeks will be enough. Just hoping that I will lose a bit more in management, I have a horrible feeling I will put on..."

Hmm, do you think you could make it to 9 stone during the 12 weeks of management? Do you HAVE to do a further 3 weeks of foundation? What does your LLC say?

I am trying to remember at what weight I started management at. I know that I wasn't at goal though. I think it was at 11 stone 10 lb. I know my BMI was above 25 anyway. My LLC was happy for me to switch though.

As you probably know, I continued to lose during management and eventually got to my goal weight (10 st 13 lb) and have continued to go below that as I try to get the balance right.

I remember my feelings as I approached Management, I too worried that I would 'lose control' when food was reintroduced and that I would put back on everything I'd lost!

However, I spent some time thinking about my old habits and we talked at our meetings about adopting new habits when we started management. I've been doing that and tried to stay aware of the crooked thoughts that can creep in which want to sabotage my efforts.

One of the major benefits to me of doing LL is that it has made me appreciate good, simple food again. I don't smother things in sauces or salt or sugar any more. A piece of salmon grilled tastes incredible and add some crisp colourful salad or steamed veg with a bit of fresh mint on top and the whole thing is a real taste sensation. I make my own dressings for the salad too, so I know exactly what's in them!

Portion control helps too. I bought smaller plates to serve food on. That is a real help! I keep up the water too, two litres plus any coffees or teas.

I know everyone is different, but have a chat with your LLC and tell her about your worries. She is bound to have heard them before and may be able to reassure you about moving on to management. Good luck anyway, Betty.

Hello Everyone

Hope you are well. Thanks for visiting the blog - AJ, Betty and GG.

AJ - I have a question for you, if you don't mind. I am sure your posts have answered it but I'd appreciate your view on how things are now.

How much, would you say, has your appetite reduced/changed since moving into Maintenance from pre-Foundation days?

The reason for asking is that while I am coming up to the end of Foundation, I am going to continue into Development so Management is a way off for a while.

BUT one of my concerns, which I have raised with my LLC is what happens post-management?

I ate too much but not always because I was physically hungry - I never allowed myself to feel truly hungry. I have been amazed by the programme and the fact that such small amounts can make me feel physically full.

But, AJ, do you find it strange now that you don't eat as much as you used to OR has going the full way with LL allowed you to adapt gradually? I don't mean in a judgemental way as in, God, I used to eat SO much now I don't but in a surprised way?

I have eaten tiny amounts during Foundation, including half a wrap BUT that sustained me for hours and hours and hours. In the past, I would have easily polished off a whole wrap and thought it wasn't enough!!! I found that quite incredible because it makes me wonder when I get to maintenance, will I only be eating tiny amounts in response to hunger?

I guess what I am trying to say in a very roundabout way is, have you had to adjust mentally to the fact that you simply don't need to eat as much as before? And does that feel strange, particularly when you eat out with your other half or the family?

I can't seem to express what I want to say - maybe the others can put it better but I hope you understand what I am driving at!!

Thanks and have a lovely weekend. I am assuming you are walking into town right now!

Mrs L xxxxxxxxxxx

Hia Mrs L

That's a great question and I see exactly where you are coming from!

Firstly I have not walked into town today because the weather is awful, driving rain and wind. I will hopefully get a walk done tomorrow weather permitting.

In fact, I have just parked at the Tesco and walked to the library (holiday research) and got totally soaked in a few minutes! Visualise if you can a drowned rat typing away on a computer - that's me.

Back to your query,

"...do you find it strange now that you don't eat as much as you used to OR has going the full way with LL allowed you to adapt gradually?..."

There have been a lot of things about doing LL that have been strange. Like you, I did extra weeks so by the time I moved on to Management my stomach would have been smaller and any small amount of real food would have had a major impact. That is why this part of the programme is so important I think. Some people are ok with doing it themselves but I knew that I needed all the help I could get because of my past eating habits.

"...I have eaten tiny amounts during Foundation, including half a wrap BUT that sustained me for hours and hours and hours. In the past, I would have easily polished off a whole wrap and thought it wasn't enough!!! I found that quite incredible because it makes me wonder when I get to maintenance, will I only be eating tiny amounts in response to hunger?..."

Your stomach has shrunk in size too, that's why you felt full after eating only a bit of food. This is a short-term effect though because, as you eat, your stomach is enlarge again over time. If you start bingeing again, eventually you will be back to square one.:(

Will you eat only in response to hunger? Well, on LL the feelings of hunger are reduced because of the ketosis effect. That effect will reduce over time when you start eating again, and you will start feeling hungry. It is a great learning experience to have that feeling, recognising it, and dealing with it in 'adult mode', that is, fueling the body properly and not overdoing it with comfort foods. Stopping when you have had enough, leaving something on the plate, etc.

"....I guess what I am trying to say in a very roundabout way is, have you had to adjust mentally to the fact that you simply don't need to eat as much as before? And does that feel strange, particularly when you eat out with your other half or the family?...."

Yes, and in a nutshell, it is a marvelous change and one I welcome with open arms. I eat out regularly and notice the vast amounts of food on plates which people polish off without a thought. I used to do that too, and still order a dessert. It does not feel strange because there are many things on the menu which are ideal and not too big. Many restaurants are happy to swap chips for salad too. I go out for lunch every Friday and my colleagues will eat their pie and chips or pasta and chips while I order one of the lovely home-made soups/roll. It is enough for me. I don't feel that I am 'missing out' on a proper meal. I see things a bit differently now. "What can this do for me?" may be what I think when ordering a meal.

One major change in our family is that we don't go to 'all you can eat buffets' any more. The kids are a bit sad about that, but more than happy to see a happier mum, I think. I think the onus is on quality rather than quantity nowadays for me and the rest of the family.

"...I can't seem to express what I want to say - maybe the others can put it better but I hope you understand what I am driving at!!..."

I know what you mean! I have rambled on a bit and hope that I have been able to answer your queries!

Ta ta, I am doing some research for our lovely cruise - less than a couple of months away now. Can you believe that I booked this cruise this time last year! I've been waiting for over a year - that's patience for you!

Afternoon all,

I am so cold, I think I am getting colder all the time. Funnily it only effects my torso, oh well it's all good.

I suppose only time well tell how you will feel about upping the food intake. I imagine it will be a very gradual thing for you because you have spent so so long eating very little.

I bet you are so excited about this cruise. I am very envious, but what a treat.

Thanks for answering the questions AmandaJayne. My LLC said that if I had more than a couple of punds to lose to go into development for a couple of weeks. 9st was actually the lowest end, originally I said 9 and a half stone which is more sensible for me as I should still keep some curves. But you know what it's like when you reach a certain weight, you always want to lose more.

I has such a bad weekend that I deceided that for me I can't go into development, I don't think I will be able to cope. I am going to do maintainance and as you have said in past posts, your calorie intake is still very much reduced so I am hoping with the combination of exercise and a low calorie diet I should lose a few more pounds.

Mrs Lard has kind of summed up my feelings on the hunger side of things too. As I was wondering how I will feel eating after having not eaten anything for this amount of time.

Any you are right you can still eat out and maintain if you pick the right thing. I suppose your tastebuds must be unleashed again and go mad for all the flavours. This time around I will not be getting carried away and thinking I can get away with that - you don't in my case.

I work with a girl who constantly grazes on organic food all day and she is very slim. But she eats all the right things. She does eat chocolate and crisps but only good quality and has the self control to just take 1 piece or have a few crisps and then rolls the bag up for another day. Or she will have 1 or 2 piecesof dried fruit or a rice cake etc rather than 1-2 packs. I really admire this in her and am going to be like that myself. I am going to take control.

we had a friend stay this weekend and yesterday I came in from the gym at 7:30 opened the fridge to put my water bottle in and my bf and friend had bought pizza, cheesy quorn fillets, a big bar of cadbury's caramel, chocolate cornflake crispies and a bag of mature chedder. I looked in horror. How could they do this to me? I don't think they actually thought I went in the fridge. I did a thought record ecause I wanted some, I wanted to be sociable, rather than hide in the bedroom, I wanted to feel like part of them and have fun. But when I actually thought about it I realised I didn't want to eat any of it really, I just wanted to feel full and warm and happy and then go to sleep. The other thing I did was check all the labels especially the choocie to see what the cals, fat, and carbs, sugar were and was horrified to thing that on a normal day I would consume more then this, and three of the choccie bars without a second thought. Of course I knew what i was doing and felt guilty. I was just to out of control to face myself and what I and my body really needed.

I'm sorry to ramble on on your thread. I really should right this all down in a diary.

I hope you all have a great Saturday night. Can't wait for Grease is the Word - I am very sad.

Love to you all xx

Hi everyone. Very interesting discussion on appetite etc. I was so happy with not having the desire to eat - it was an eye-opener. However my appetite has returned:sigh: and so have the old thoughts ("What can I eat?"). I remember AJ's comments on doing management in adapted child mode, which I think is a good idea, but I find myself doing it using the guidelines as wise counsel rather than rules. Today we went to the Devon County Show and enjoyed the food tent(!). I could have decided not to taste anything but I didn't. It's only once a year... Just a little bit won't hurt...Only one... - all the classic overeater's thoughts. Before we got there I decided to enjoy the bits of sausage/crisps/bread/sauces/ice cream/smoked mackerel (yum!) but try to behave like a thin person and compensate by only having salad leaves the rest of the day and reining in tomorrow. I don't think my appetite or desire to eat will be reduced once I've completed management but I intend to eat less and eat better food. I think I now have the awareness and tools to make that happen, if I keep alert. I am listening to the management CDs a lot, trying to brainwash myself! The CDs are mildly irritating in places but basically sound and I need all the help I can get.

Mrs L,
will I only be eating tiny amounts in response to hunger?
I don't know but I can't say my meals are tiny! They probably are smaller than in the past though. A lot must depend on the individual. As I write this I feel more and more inclined to stick very strictly to the management rules and not bend them as I have done.

Betty, I know what you mean about feeling you've had enough of abstinence. The last week I felt drained and my BP went very low. 2 of my foundation group are moving into management tomorrow because they're feeling very tired and ready to stop SSing. I think as you approach a healthy weight it does get a little harder. For your information, I've lost about 5 lbs in the first 3 weeks of management and have now pretty much stabilised - I weigh myself 1st thing and have only varied a pound in the last 10 days. I am eating about 1100 kcals a day and more or less(!) sticking to plan, but not stinting on portions. I think I could have lost a few more pounds if I'd wanted to. From next week I am going to be more strict with myself as we get more dangerous food to eat (including wine) and have two protein meals. I've just seen your last post - I do sympathise with you about opening your fridge to find all that! But good for you for tackling your thoughts and feelings. Have to go now and cook food for the family. Have a good evening.

Well, THANK YOU so much for such helpful answers and for ploughing through my post.

I had a doh! moment when AJ said about no longer being in ketosis. Of course, completely forgot what a massive impact that has. In fact, I must admit feeling a bit fluffy today and struggling to stay on track.

It's really helpful to read about your different experiences so thank you so much. All the answers were MORE THAN I could have hoped for; so detailed and great for other people, who surely must be wondering too?

Excuse the pun but there is much food for thought here and I am going to read your answers again.

AJ - your cruise, wow! You must be so excited and what a great time you are going to have with all your foxy clothes!!!

Have a lovely weekend. We have had every weather variation here today - sun, showers, cloud, warm, cold....

Mrs L xxxxxxxx

Wow AJ I have just sat for an hour and half and read your whole weight managment thread and feel completely inspired. What a great idea to write a complete journal of your progress. One quick question, are you allowed bars still on managment because I have grown to really love them ( think this is a bad thing now!)

Back