AJs Maintenance Journey Part 1

More thought provoking posts AJ, thank you.

I understand about the 'trying not to get too uptight about weight gain' issue. It has been quite stressful for me putting on weight, even within my acceptable range for myself. I am gradually learning that I have about a 5lb swing either way, which is actually quite a substantial amount of weight and very noticable to me. But it's going to take a good long while for me to become truly comfortable with this fluctuating.

I guess we just have to remember that we are in the process of undoing a lifetime's thoughts around weight. It's going to take a while for us to learn that it's ok, and indeed normal, for weight to go up and down. We need to remember to train ourselves to accept that this is normal, to trust that we are being true to our bodies, and to trust that we will manage it. That's why we are in "management". All sounds good, but it's still difficult to live it!

I also understand completely your fears about being on holiday. I had a week's all-inclusive in my last week of management. To tell you the truth, I was so happy to be going around choosing the healthy stuff because I felt I looked fantastic and there was no way I was jeopardising that. I kept visualising that the muesli/yogurt/fruit/nuts combination at breakfast = gorgeous, fit, healthy, toned body, and it really set me up for the day.

What really helped the most though was looking at the amount of utter crap that was on offer. I was truly disgusted that such slop was served at every meal. Things dripping with fat and really cheap, really nasty, fake, not-at-all-appetising, radioactive-type desserts. Then I'd look at all the people around me and, I kid you not, I would have classed about 80% of them being obese. I got really angry that we have allowed the world to get into such a state. It's not the people's fault that such crap is so cheap and readily available. It just seems so unjust that to serve that nastiness is cheaper than serving much healthier alternatives.

Your chocolate point is poignant for me too. I have accepted that I will never, ever eat Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate again, or indeed any other chocolate bar that I can readily buy at any supermarket, newsagent, or off-licence stand. I know where cheap, addictive, sugary chocolate leads me and I refuse to be pulled into it again. Now I am having a really good time sourcing very good quality dark chocolate. I am learning about chocolate, and how it's made, and high-class ingredients and have even found some very posh chocolates that are made daily with fresh ingredients that have a shelf-life of only 2 weeks! Somehow, gathering knowledge has made me want mass-produced junk chocolates even less. And I am even really enjoying 85% cocoa chocolate. 1-2 squares and the cocoa punch almost knocks me out. I certainly don't need anymore than that!

Betty Boo - Food is always on my mind! But now it's not about bingeing, it's about sourcing very good quality ingredients, trying lots of wholesome things and really trying to put more effort, appreciation and mastery into what I cook. It's a wonderful journey re-training myself to really get into the whole process of food before it hits the table, rather than just focussing on getting it in once it's on the table. It's very interesting how hunger seems not to be an issue when I'm so engrossed in perfecting the art of good food. A complete change of focus.

My 'nights off' aren't what you may imagine them to be. I will allow myself perhaps a bit of good chocolate, or a few organic, high quality biscuits and one or two more glasses of wine than necessary. The point is not so much what I'm eating, but more that it's ok for me to do it - up to a point. I have lost control a few times and have suffered, physically and psychologically, as a result and it's just not worth it. Last week I lost it for 3 nights in succession and it took me 4 days to sort through the physical and psychological issues as a result.

So "balance" is still a work-in progress for me. I haven't quite yet mastered the balance between enough vs too much of a good thing. When I don't need 4 days of mop-up sessions anymore, then I will say I've worked it out! But still, I'm enjoying the journey and enjoying the opportunities for learning - good and bad.

Virgo girl - how are you finding management? I've been thinking of you. The first few weeks are a scary time, but if you follow the book, you can't go wrong.

Mrs Lard - Your line "If hunger is not the problem, food is not the answer" cannot be more true. I will store it in my mind, like I would store a business card in my purse, so I can whip it out quickly and easily, whenever needed. Very powerful sentence. Thank you.

AJ - sorry if it seems I've hijacked your post. It's such a good thread, with so many thought-provoking things said in it, that I'm slightly obsessed by it :D It's exactly what I need to help me where I am right now.

I have accepted that I will never, ever eat Cadbury's Dairy Milk chocolate again,

(Karion runs off with box of Milk tray):eek:;)

Anyone else want to join me to share?

I'm under the table;)

Last edited:
That's how I pictured you under the table :D :D :D

Spot on:p

Can't see the remains of the beef burger there though:confused:

LOL, I love the photo.

Haven't popped in for a couple of days so was pleased to come on and read the updates, all very interesting.

Hope you are all well and enjoying the weekend (even if the weather is poor)

Betty Boo - Food is always on my mind! But now it's not about bingeing, it's about sourcing very good quality ingredients, trying lots of wholesome things and really trying to put more effort, appreciation and mastery into what I cook. It's a wonderful journey re-training myself to really get into the whole process of food before it hits the table, rather than just focussing on getting it in once it's on the table. It's very interesting how hunger seems not to be an issue when I'm so engrossed in perfecting the art of good food. A complete change of focus.

I imagine it is a wonderfull journey re-training yourself, but I am feeling exactly the same way about wanting to source good quality food and actually enjoy cooking with them. Hunger is not an issue either, that sounds like bliss.

My 'nights off' aren't what you may imagine them to be. I will allow myself perhaps a bit of good chocolate, or a few organic, high quality biscuits and one or two more glasses of wine than necessary. The point is not so much what I'm eating, but more that it's ok for me to do it - up to a point. I have lost control a few times and have suffered, physically and psychologically, as a result and it's just not worth it. Last week I lost it for 3 nights in succession and it took me 4 days to sort through the physical and psychological issues as a result.

I suppose I was getting a little carried away here and seeing myself have my old nights off, deep down I know that will never happen and there is only a slight bit of me that actually wants too.

So "balance" is still a work-in progress for me. I haven't quite yet mastered the balance between enough vs too much of a good thing. When I don't need 4 days of mop-up sessions anymore, then I will say I've worked it out! But still, I'm enjoying the journey and enjoying the opportunities for learning - good and bad.

I am so pleased to here you are enjoying your journey, learning about food and yourself as you are moving along and it is great to hear that you can move on after slipping up. I am sure within time you will master the balance.

I do think that even people who we see as 'normal' don't always have a balance with food, perhaps it's because we see people eating what they like without a care in the world and not having to worry about weight that we feel there is something wrong with us and we are not getting the balance right. Is there a balance or do our bodies just have different reaction times to food as does the mind? In my case it's more of a jelousy thing when I see my friend not worrying about food and eating what they want without putting an ounce on.

Anyway, thank you for you response.

Have a fab weekend all and looking forward to popping in again soon xx

"....I had a week's all-inclusive in my last week of management. To tell you the truth, I was so happy to be going around choosing the healthy stuff because I felt I looked fantastic and there was no way I was jeopardising that. I kept visualising that the muesli/yogurt/fruit/nuts combination at breakfast = gorgeous, fit, healthy, toned body, and it really set me up for the day.

What really helped the most though was looking at the amount of utter crap that was on offer. I was truly disgusted that such slop was served at every meal. Things dripping with fat and really cheap, really nasty, fake, not-at-all-appetising, radioactive-type desserts. Then I'd look at all the people around me and, I kid you not, I would have classed about 80% of them being obese. I got really angry that we have allowed the world to get into such a state. It's not the people's fault that such crap is so cheap and readily available. It just seems so unjust that to serve that nastiness is cheaper than serving much healthier alternatives...."

I loved reading that 6stloss. It made me think back to previous cruises and yes, you are absolutely right, there is a lot of high fat rubbish food around on these ships - it is all vocariously gobbled up by people who should really know better. I know, I was one of them. But that was in the past. I think that, like you, I will find it easy to stick to good, fresh, healthy options instead. I mean, I choose to do that now here, so why should it be any different on holiday? I feel so much more positive now, thanks 6stloss!

Karion - finished them choccies yet?!?!? How're you doing, hun?

"....I do think that even people who we see as 'normal' don't always have a balance with food, perhaps it's because we see people eating what they like without a care in the world and not having to worry about weight that we feel there is something wrong with us and we are not getting the balance right. Is there a balance or do our bodies just have different reaction times to food as does the mind? In my case it's more of a jelousy thing when I see my friend not worrying about food and eating what they want without putting an ounce on...."

Betty, I know what you mean. I sometimes watch what other people put away, drink-wise and food wise, and wonder why they seem to get away with it. I suppose that, long term it is going to have an effect on their health though. I think I will just concentrate on getting a good balance for myself!

Anyway, another update.

I was going to post last night but decided to have an early night as hubby was home (!).

Went for an x-ray Friday afternoon on my lower back/pelvis. I don't expect them to find anything significant though. Once I receive a copy of the report from my GP I can go to see an osteopath/chiropractor she has recommended, and get some help with managing this pain. It is not possible to get a permanent 'cure', sadly.

Walked to town today (Saturday) and did some retail therapy with daughter and hubby. He went to Game for a look round at the latest games (yawn). I went in to Wallis for a mooch and after a few minutes he came into the store to see me buying not one but two lace shrugs. "What are you buying TWO doilies for!" he exclaimed in surprise. "What do you mean." I countered "I need two, one in black and one in gold. You should be grateful I didn't get another in white. Besides, Jayne can borrow them too." He was not convinced. Myself and Jayne rolled our eyes. Men!

Jayne had worn my LL stepper and she (and therefore us)clocked up over 19,000 steps today. Fantastic!

I went to a Parents Conference this morning at the High School in town. It was focusing on 'healthy, active and happy children' and was well worth attending. I had lentil soup, a 'Seeds of Change' nut and raisin bar, and an apple for lunch and met Adrian and Jayne at The Den (computer games cafe) later for coffee.

We stopped off at the travel agents and picked up our tickets and information for the cruise. Getting all excited now! I've been looking round on the internet to get information on the places we will visit. It is far cheaper to organise our own excursions rather than buy the ones that the cruise company sell. We just have to ensure that we get back before the ship sails or it will leave without us!

AJ, we've done a couple of cruises over recent years. In the Caribbean we opted to take the ships excursions and were sadly disappointed with both quality and content. However, on our Med cruise we took a gamble on local taxi drivers to show us the sights (Rome excluded). We had a fabulous time, and saw (I beleive) so much more local colour than we would have stuck with an official tour!

Any way, thanks to all your conributors for some great messages. I am purely going from day to day, or even hour to hour at the mo, and struggling like heck. I find reading all these posts a great help.

I have also read the article in the new LL mag about the power of thought. In it they mention meditation as a great source of help to quiet the chatterbox. I intend to look further into this, as only tonight, as a kind of experiment, I have been trying to tune the voices out with a mental chant. " If I cant hear them, they cant hurt me". It actually seems possible that by tuning out these voices, we might well be able to strengthen our resolve.

Well, I know what I mean any way!!

Take care all!
xx

Hia Sez,

Yeah, I've been reading the new mag too. Let us know how you get on with the meditiation.

It had not occured to me to use local taxis, but we'll bear it in mind when we plan our excursions. Thanks for that advice.

Aj, I just posted a thread re Meditation. There's been some interesting info & supprt posted. Bought an mp3 download from Ebay for 99p, too. Listened to a little of it and saving it for when the family go out for Sunday dinner at MIL's later.

Will keep you posted if it changes my mood!!

Happy Sunday!
xx

Not long now AJ until your fabulous cruise, I imagine when you set foot on that cruise ship and you actually do see all that fatty food, you will be repulsed. I always have thought that fresh fruit, cereal, and yogurts (forgot the cakes, muffins and crossients (sorry can't spell that, have been sitting here for 5 mins puzzling over it)) look much nicer due to the colours and I think due to the variety you will have on offer you won't bat an eyelid over the rest.

Sorry to hear about your back, I do hope you get something sorted before you go away. Have you tried, pilates or yoga? These might be beneficial as they will help strengthen all your core muscles.

Hope you are all enjoying the fabulous rainy bank hol. Things can only get better.

xx

Hi AJ

Sorry to hear about your back. Just echoing what Betty Boo has said regarding pilates; I've had a regular trip to the osteopath about every six months for years with lower back pain (normally 3 visits parting with £35 each time). I'd dipped into pilates classes at the gym now and then but recently got a 1 to 1 instructor for an hour a week and the difference is really marked. My back feels much stronger and more flexible; it isn't cheap (£35 in London) but I think of it as an investment.

Hope it feels better soon. Enjoy your fab cruise.

Johnny :D

Hia Betty,

Thanks for your advice about yoga and pilates. Me and my mum went to yoga classes years ago but had to give up because one or other of us would fanny fart when doing some of the moves. This caused us both to nearly wet ourselves laughing which didn't go down well. I don't think I can go through that again!

Pilates - hmmm. I think there is a class at the local leisure centre. I am taking my son to the gym there this week so I will enquire about the times and days. It is worth a try.

Thanks for your post Johnny. As you can read, I am going to have a go. If I can find an instructor to give me a one-to-one, or preferably a few sessions, it could make a difference. If it is a sexy young man, all the better! As far as the cost is concerned, a session with an osteopath or chiropractor would cost at least the same amount, probably for a fraction of the time.

Sez, I think that meditation is something else I could think about, another piece of ammunition to chuck at the 'crooked thoughts' and 'negative voices' which plague me from time to time.

Self-hypnosis is another skill which can be useful to reduce the power of negative/crooked thoughts. I am certain that I have a leaflet somewhere giving some quick and easy tips on effective self-hypnosis. If I can find it, I'll post some stuff on the thread.

I wanted to let you all know that....

....I bought a tankini on Friday! Yes, isn't it brave. What happened was, I had been for my x-ray and on the way back to the car meandered into BHS (as you do) and mooched around looking at bras and knickers. Now I am slimmer, it is a pleasure rather than an ordeal to shop for underwear and I am building up a nifty little collection (hubby does not complain). Anyway, I saw all the swimming costumes and checked them all out. There were several tankinis but would you believe it, hardly any in a size 12. Eventually saw a navy/white polkadot one. Got the top in size 12 and the bottom (plain navy with a polkadot belt/buckle thingy) in size 14. When I tried the top on it was so comfortable and supported my boobs beautifully. The bottoms were comfortable too, and supported the loose skin well. The whole ensemble looked ok and I felt comfortable wearing it.

It made me wonder whether the loose skin is indeed tightening up at last, or whether I am just used to it now and it does not seem so bad. I think the latter. I really do believe the the skin IS shrinking back, albeit very slowly. This is great news because surgery is really out of the question for me.

I had posted on another thread about another after-effect of losing so much so quickly - that is, becoming scrawny on top, bony in fact. It has happened to me and was somewhat alarming at first. I believe though that this effect is short-term and that the skin will shrink and reduce the effect in time. It probably does not help that my boobs have gone south!

Hi AJ

Wow! A tankini!! That's fantastic;you will knock those fellow cruisers out!

I know you have probably said when you are off but when exactly do you leave for your holiday? (Sorry,that sounds a bit stalker-ish, not meant to be!)

I was really interested to see your comment about losing weight on top; that is exactly what has happened to me. I am worried about looking scrawny but with a big tum and big legs!

I have got bones showing on my shoulders now; I noticed them yesterday and got a bit of a shock! It's a sharp contrast to all the excess skin but I am trying not to freak out about it just yet.

Just reading your comments makes me realise there's so much more to do and learn on this journey.

Thanks for continuing to inspire and being so generous with your time and experience.

Have a lovely Bank Holiday (it's raining here).

Mrs L xxxxxxxxx

LOL, I imagine that your yoga session was very unique!! I went once with my mum and some people do take it very seriously. Our teacher was an older lady who had a hole in the bottom area of her trousers, anyway she was doing all these moves and farted. No one apparently noticed but my mum and i could not stop laughing. Must say we were told we were breathing incorrectly and both came out feeling very sick, I assume because we were breathing incorrectly!! Farting is common with yoga, lets hope that is not the case for pilates.

I think you should give the pilates a go and see how you find it.

I bet you look stunning in the tankini. I think the skin must go back within time and is probably helped with the more water you drink.

Hope you are all having a lovely day xx

AJ

I'm sorry, I meant to say I was also very sympathetic about your back. Not sure if it is any help but I bought something called a Backlife , which made such a difference to me. I went to the Back Shop in London and that is what they recommended. I still use it but not as much as I used to. Have also lent it to friends.

Mrs L xxxx

LOL! - not sure I'll be able to keep a straight face in pilates classes anymore after reading this! Will listen out for stray farts and let you know if it has that 'yoga' effect.

Johnny :D

Back