Alcohol question?

Pinklady1911

serial dieter!!!
This is a naughty question, i know and im sorry but i need to know?

Has anyone drank say small vodka with coke zero and still been ok, even if you have just had a couple with a meal first??

I know its danergous to do this on ketosis and you should eat, i read that on Exante somewhere, but i have a hen do next weekend and the weekend after and i am going to drink theres no way have i planned these nights for my friends without being able to let loose and enjoy them but i just wanted some advice on the best way to do it, with ideally staying in ketosis??
Help please :)

Being a vodka addict as well as a food addict I can honestly tell you, don't go there!

Not only is it dangerous, but the calories you'd consume would be completely off plan and the hangover would be 100 times worse than you've ever had. I wouldn't get in the habit if I were you xxx

I havent drank an alcoholic drink in nearly 5 weeks, I just thought id either have to re-feed for a day or two leading upto it then get back on the plan! i too used to be vodka mad, but not drinking hasnt bothered me until i just started writing all my upcoming events on my calender! Unfortunately it is one of those things that i know the peer pressure will get the better of me! so i need to decide what is going to be the best way to tackle it. arghhhhh arnt friends annoying, getting in the way of me and my size 12 figure, how dare they!lol

Dear Pinklady,

It is dangerous as your liver is working very hard to process your excess weight. Just popping off the plan for a few days doesn't make it safer. I've also read people saying how sick it made them feel. Your friends would probably be horrified if they knew you were doing something dangerous.

Why give in? Why not be superior and polish your halo, and maybe even offer to drive? Or tell them it's a nuisance (or some word more colourful) but you are antibiotics for a stomache infection so are on doctor's orders.

Whatever you decide to do take care of yourself.

Ali

Okay I must admit last night I had the smallest vodka with coke zero! Don't ask me why, because I don't know, it was offered and I took it! I felt fine, I only had one! But this morning I woke up feeling like id been hit by a train! Not good won't be doing that again!

Yikes serious stuff! im going to stay away from booze! i will make an excuse up for not drinking! i dont want to be too ill or put myself in any danergous situations so i wont bother! thanks everyone for helping me with this one!

You can't have it both ways unfortunately. If you're going to drink you can't stay in ketosis

Either tell them you're not drinking for whatever reason or if you are going to drink have pasta or something high in carbs which will knock you out of ketosis. If this is a big night out then don't risk missing it because you've made yourself so ill. Alcohol and ketosis just on go together

Thanks Stralight! Found this in the frequently asked questions!!!
I have a night out coming up, what should I do?

Well you can decide to stay on track and not deviate from plan when you’re out, or if you really want to have a meal but remain in ketosis you need to choose something that’s pretty low carb like a protein based meal such as grilled fish or chicken and combine it with some salad from the Slim and Save allowed vegetables. Watch out for the carbs and calories in any dressing though, and to be on the safe side either have the salad without dressing or take a little pot of dressing from home containing the lowest calories and carbs you can find.

If you decide to include alcohol too then you should not do that without including a meal as it can make you quite ill. Vodka and gin with a diet mixer are about the best things to have as they are not high in carbs. The worst things to have are beer or anything mixed with sugar based mixers or fruit juice as these are very high in carbs. There is a useful list of ketogenic foods on the Exante forum so that you can plan what to have on your night out that will keep you in ketosis:

http://www.minimins.com/exante/18871...nic-foods.html

Or you might just decide to have a night off and to come out of ketosis altogether. Do be aware though that you will need to go through the difficult few days whilst getting back into ketosis afterwards in order to get back on track and this is not a decision you should take lightly. If you have a lifestyle where you feel that you will always need to eat carbs off and on then yo-yo ing between being in ketosis and not is not a good way of approaching this diet and it will make life very difficult for you, as well as have a marked effect on weight loss. In this case it may be that you are not suited to this type of diet and could explore another diet plan such as Weight Watchers or Slimming World.

Well I wouldn't take that as gospel because I wrote that! ;)

I have had alcohol when I was in ketosis just once. I had 2 V&Ts when I met friends in town for a drink. I have to say I was absolutely fine both at the time and the next day but I wouldn't have had more than 2. There are lots of threads on minimins saying not to be in ketosis and have alcohol. I'm slightly confused about how it's ok for people on Atkins tho :confused:

On the other occasion where I intended to drink during a night out but didn't want to take a proper break I took myself out of ketosis by having some carb heavy foods early in the day and then drank at night. I did get quite drunk (it was my work Xmas do) but then I did probably have a couple of bottles of wine so that's not that surprising to be honest :), and I know that my alcohol tolerance was reduced as it affected me quite quickly. I was quite a big drinker pre diet (probably half my problem) so was pretty used to drinking.

It sounds like a special occasion for you so If I were you I'd have the night off properly and have a carby meal beforehand, and then just get straight back to it the next day. That's what I did and it was fine. I also lost nearly 3lb that week too :). Don't be miserable on a special occasion, life has to go on and as long as we all plan properly you can have the odd special occasion (don't do it every week! :)) and still be fine. Just make sure you're strong enough to get back on track tho.

i had 2 vodkas on thursday night, i didnt go out with the intention of having them, luckily for me i was ok the next day, although even though it may be low in carbs i wont be doing it again, i would rather have my health and lose this weight. its a tough choice but i know what i would rather have.

I drink but eat earlier in the day if im having a big night out and ive been fine, dont take my word for it though cos everyone is dif. But i hsd big weight gains as u can see from my stats below.

When i did the CD last year, i drank and was absolutely fine but i only did it for a couple of weeks were as on a vlcd this time round for 5 weeks which will be 6 and 7 weeks by the time these evengts come round! its not every day your close friends get married, so ive decided life is too short i will have a carby meal and enjoy both nights out! i am fully aware that it will take me out of ketosis, but i know they would do it for me, so if that means it will take me a few days of getting back into ketosis then so be it! :) thanks everyone

One thing I found is that after my 1 night off I got back on track the following morning and had no trouble at all getting into ketosis. Maybe your glycogen stores take a few days to refill and if you get back on track straightaway it's easier? Dunno, but it worked for me :)

Thanks BG im going to do this and see what happens, i would only drink vodka and coke zero/diet depending on what the bars sell! I'll carb it up through the day (making healthy choices of course) and see how i get on for the 1 next week! :) taking it one at a time.lol

I'm sure you'll enjoy it pinklady. Getting to goal is important but it's not worth missing out on all the special things in life :)

Well, I am paying for my weekend off big time. Totally not worth it so early on in my journey.

Just make sure you have an amazing time and that it's worth it :cool:

I've been able to have 2 glasses of wine and stay in ketosis. If I'm honest I've had 1/2 a bottle and stayed in ketosis but I've had to substitute packs for protein and greens

Please don't suggest anyone does that! Skipping packs is never a good idea and throw alcohol into the mix and it's a potential disaster

The best rule of thumb is no alcohol. Although some people get away with it they seem to be the minority. It's not worth it making people think it's ok when they could take the advice and be one of the people who ends up incredibly ill

I honestly wasn't suggesting -it's happened only once and it wasn't a planned thing. I substituted to save coming out of ketosis. I was straight back on plan the next day. Life can "happen" during a life journey like this. Emotional stuff can happen and allow us all to perhaps not do the most sensible thing. It doesn't mean it has to all go to pot is all I meant.

Back