Alcohol!!

Hi
I've just started back on the diet after a couple of false starts and was wondering how alcohol effects your weight loss. The reason I ask is that I have a party to go to later and I know that the drinks will be flowing. I feel I will be able to avoid food by having a shake before I go but I don't want to be totally anti-social by drinking water all evening. How am I going to get through this??
Little Doris
:confused:

I'm sure drinking alcohol while ss may make you feel pretty poorly but i'm not sure about it affecting weightloss. People do say alcohol is a definate no-no...someone else will be along soon....they'll know more than me.

Have a good night whatever you decide to do :)

Good question, the sugar in the alcohol will take you out of ketosis but as for the weight loss I really have no idea?
Although water is definatley your best bet!
Sorry I can't be of much help

Sally

Drinking alcohol when on a VLCD is really bad for you and is likely to make you ill. It's not anti-social to drink water, plenty of people go to parties without having to drink alcohol when they're not on a VLCD. I've never let it stop me going out and having a good time and I've been doing LL for over 3 months now. Suppose it depends what the diet means for you...

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!

xxx

oh and on my week off i ate all day like pasta etc so thought i would be ok to drink, i had 2 bottles of vk and was absolutly wrecked!!!! and drank coke for the rest of the night hhahaa

xxx

I hope you resisted temptation. I haven't been out for ages and had a mates birthday party to go to the other night, there's never a good time to start a diet but I decided to face facts and not drink or eat, whilst having to watch everyone around me but needless to say I had a good time, so it can be done

Back