alcoholics doing atkins

Just think her liver might not be working well with all the alcohol - so maybe Atkins isn't right as the liver works fairly hard on Atkins to process the fairly high fat content of the diet... But as has been said - she ought to get a full check up first before proceeding. Safest thing to do as a next step....

even more scary she is a practising registered nurse on night duty. AAHHHHHHHHHH. I used to work nights with her and she was great, then her marriage split up and this is the result. Am going to get her on internet dating, I am sure she is just very lonely. Middle aged and kids grown up with no one to share your life with is not a happy space.

You're right. And I don't think anyone here is trying to judge. Nobody sets out to be lonely and no one knows how they'll react to different hardships in their lives. I hope she is ok and she's lucky to have a friend like you looking out for her. I hope you're ok too; look after yourself and be an inspiration to her. Show her that it's entirely possible to do right by yourself and see to your own happiness.

It sounds unbelievably hard for her Sue... Have been through something similar - wine was my tipple although could never manage a whole bottle although I drank every night... Thank the lord I'm on the other side of that dark period! I hope she finds a way through this!

Gosh tricky question. As a general principle, atkins allows you some alcohol whereas most diets ban it altogether. But as others say - if you just keep drinking there is no way to lose weight. Hope she can find an appropriate path to health and happiness:)

I think the best bit of advice for them (due to their alcohol dependancy) would be to consult their physician before going on a diet, especially one that isn't officially considered "balanced" from all nutritional angles.

Thanks all for your advice. I have passed it on but she going to do it anyway. Naff all I can do about it.

Hmmm, why would she want to do this when she has been told she will gain weight and put further strain on her body? Makes no sense.
Tell me about it. I think she is going to cut down the boozing and doing a diet is a good incentive. Just have to keep fingers crossed. She a nice person, so have to hope for the best.

Back