Alli takes the scenic route to maintenance

Oooooh definately very brave taking MIL... glad to hear you had a good time though, I would also try just getting back to normal and seeing if the weight comes off....

Well the plan to eat normally didn't go so well...unless the definition of normal is how I used to eat about a year ago.

I binged mercilessly last night. For some reason even I can't explain I spent £7 on liquorice on my way home from work. I then convinced my DH to cook Thai red curry which is full of coconutty loveliness, but oh so bad for the waistline! I had 2 large helping until I was so full that I literally couldn't finish the 2nd helping (and that's saying something) and then waited for DH to take Molly for a walk before starting on the liquorice that I had kept hidden from DH. I ignored my protesting tummy and munched through quite a bit of the sweets before going to bed groaning.

This used to be me nearly every evening so I guess it is normal in a way but it is not how I've eaten since reaching goal last year. Now I have to figure out what to do to make sure this does not become normal for me again, but it's hard when some part of me seems to block out all common sense and I buy all this stuff. I mean, come on, £3.50 for a bag of liquorice (however large) is extortionate and I can't believe that I spent that twice only to have thrown most of it out this morning.

Not sure what to do now. I've read all the books, I know the theory and I still manage to ignore my own reasoning in order to do something I don't actually want to do. Oh well - today is a new day and I'm nothing if not stubborn. I will try again for a "normal" day and try and stay present at all time so that my inner gremlin can't convince me to stock up and eat more junk...

You'll get there Alli. :) The tough bit with CD really is the maintaining isn't it? Do you normally plan your food? Calorie counting helps me and good on you for posting what you ate.

Don't forget you've got the wonderful hormones like leptin and ghrelin at work and your body is probably trying to return to its old set point. What really helped me was really it was okay to have the addictive thoughts as it stopped me from trying to battle how I was feeling. I just needed to learn not to act on them. Hope today is a better day for you.

I do identify Alli, and understand how upsetting this must be. The thing is, the desire to binge is still inside us and sometimes it can very strong... most of us hope and believe we have beaten it on our CD journey but I'm not sure it is that simple. For whatever reason... body setpoint, grehlin, leptin, stress, a week or eating 'celebration' foods, emotional factors... that desire can re-surface and catch us out.
KD once referred to it as the bus you don't see, about to knock you down.
I think the best way forward is to be rational, to see this as a reminder of what & where you do not want to be. Continue with your cal counting/ healthy eating/ exercise. Don't panic.
When you panic, it can escalate, as with me... and once you have a pattern re-established, that is harder to break. It can still be done, though, and I am doing it. I am feeling a little stronger every day.
I feel for you Alli, and don't want you to fall I to the place I have been... but wanted you to know this is a struggle so many of us go though. No easy answers. I think it's something we will always need to be aware of.
As Laura says, having the desire is one thing - learning not to act on it is another. Aiming to achieve this more times than not... that would be progress.
Big hugs.

xxx

Hey hon,
Just wanted to say your not alone most of us have been there... The maintaining is definatley the hard part.
After getting back from holidays it took me a good 5 days to be back to eating healthy and getting back on track again.
On holiday its not like I went mad as I really didnt but just ate more than usual and some things I dont have often like bread, rice, pasta, noodles.
Im now back on track and feel so much better for it..
So dont beat yourself up hon and take each day as it comes and you will be back on track in no time..
I so understand what you mean with the binging and once you start it can be hard to stop... I have done it with custard cream biscuits I can have one and then have 5.
Hang in there hon your be back on track in no time xxxxx

Thanks all for your support! Today has been good so far, but evening are always crunch time (in more ways than one) for me. To top it all off DH is out tonight and I always seem to be worse when on my own.

Will let you all know how I get on - if nothing else, typing will keep me busy (as would the mountain of laundry waiting for me, but we'll see about that).

Thanks again!

Oh Alli, I'm sorry things have been tough for you too. x

Thanks Bess.

Yesterday ended up being a pretty good day in all so am feeling a bit more positive. I did go over my planned food, but only with one of my last CD bars so no real damage done and I think I was still under maintenance calories for the day.

Today I'm aiming for 1500 - so we'll see. I reckon if I can stick to 1500 the weight will come off in time. I've already lost a couple of lbs so only 5 or so to go until I'm back to my pre-holiday weight.

I guess it's just a matter of accepting that my weight will fluctuate and not panic about it, but as we all know it's soooo much harder than it would seem to the uninitiated ;)

Off to do a quick check you your diaries while it's quiet at work...

Well done on your good day Alli, I am sure that you will get back on track now, sometimes it is just hard after a holiday. I also have had binges, they are obviously inside all of us and sometimes (hopefully most of the time) we can resist, but sometimes in a moment of weakness we dont, as long as we get a grip the next day there shouldn't be too much harm done....

Thanks Bess.

Today I'm aiming for 1500 - so we'll see. I reckon if I can stick to 1500 the weight will come off in time. I've already lost a couple of lbs so only 5 or so to go until I'm back to my pre-holiday weight.

I guess it's just a matter of accepting that my weight will fluctuate and not panic about it, but as we all know it's soooo much harder than it would seem to the uninitiated ;)

It's tough isn't it? I know exactly how you feel. I use the scales as a tool now but they aren't my be all and end all guide. I only realised recently that the light sugary food is less dense so am less likely to see a sudden increase in my weight as opposed to heavy dense, fibrous foods.

I have a bit of an equation happening now based on quite a few factors.
1. Weight on the scales
2. TOTM
3. What I've been eating the few days before and also what I've been drinking including alcohol
4. What exercise I've been doing
5. How my clothes fit
6. 'Common sense' and I use that word lightly in my case :)
7. However long I've been seeing an increaes or a decrease in the trend!

I don't allow just one factor to dictate my food for the day. I take into account all the factors, I've got some very cool trends and equations happening (complete with all manner of graphs - I really could do with a life but it keeps me highly amused!

I'm sure the few extra lbs will come off soon too.

still plodding on - not doing great but not bingeing so getting there. No time to post properly but will be back tonight.

Have a great day everyone! :)

Well done Alli! Plodding's good. :) x

You ok Alli? Just busy? x

Hope all is well Alli, sending a hug.

xxx

Thanks Katy - I'm not in a great place at the moment as I feel like I'm losing control and my success is slipping away from me. I've put on nearly a stone since before Xmas and I don't know how to stop it. Every morning I'm full of determination but somehow I find myself overeating in the afternoon / evening.

I've got my Geneen Roth books out of the book case, dusted them off and started reading as I know I found them very helpful a few years ago. I don't really want to start a new diet although after seeing Liz doing SB I'm now tempted to do that again. Sigh!

We all knew it was going to be hard - but I really thought this would be it. All my larger clothes were given to charity and I have a summer wardrobe waiting that won't fit me at this rate. Am trying not to stress as it won't help - but I really need to figure out how to handle this.

Sorry for not posting much lately, I'll be back at some point, hopefully with my head a bit less "foggy"!

C'mon Alli - you can do this.

If you need some time out, then please take some time out but don't disappear just because you are struggling. To quote an OA saying, we weren't meant to live in isolation.

I hope you can find a way that works for you, whether it is a diet or otherwise. I know what you mean about not wanting to diet anymore. I basically eat whatever I need (edited from want!) now, but really practice the CBT stuff from Eating Less to help me stay on track. It's nice to have a free choice.

Take care of yourself x

Alli, that's the same struggle I have had since Xmas... swinging up and down from 810 to binge and getting nowhere fast. You are at least refusing to run back to safety blanket of CD which i think is wise. I am only now starting to feel a bit steadier, and that is by upping cals a little and trying to keep myself positive. No easy answers, but many of us have been struggling and the trick is in staying with it, accepting that we haven't got all the answer and are still real novices at this maintaining lark. I too wanted to feel i was on top of it, but i'm not... I will learn, though. It's about not giving up or going back. Forward, all the time, and remember what you have achieved.

Big hugs Alli.

xxx

Just what Katy said Alli. :hug99:
So sorry to see you are struggling and completely understand, scary isn't it? I have no answers but offer lots of support. Just don't give up. xx

Good Morning everyone - lovely and crisp out today and I so enjoyed my doggy walk at 6am this morning:). A bit of sun makes all the difference, doesn't it.

I have stopped trying to lose weight now. I'm still about 7lbs over my original goal weight and 1st over what I would ideally like to be, but I need to get my head sorted to stop jumping from one thing to another in an attempt to shift the weight.

I dusted off my old food related books the other day and after trying and failing to read one of my Geneen Roth books (her methods just don't suit me at all - however lovely her books are) I stumbled across the book "Shrink yourself". I never read the whole book but remembered that it really resonated with me at the time of buying it. It's all about emotional eating - how we overeat as a reaction to an uncomfortable emotion (anxiety, stress, boredom, frustration etc). This is what I do - I'm a real boredom eater and a procrastinator. I've spent the last couple of days working through the book and it's really very good. There is an online programme, but it is quite expensive and I've already spent so much on stuff like this in the past so will stick to the book for now. It helped me to not binge last night so that's good. I'm not necessarily making good food choices but as long as I'm not constantly snacking at night there's progress.

Anyway - time to go and sort the kids out. :)

Morning Alli, Good for you making some progress, books on overeating have helped me too and like you i have given up trying to lose any more, the constant focus on it makes me crazy and for some reason more inclined to eat. I took a read through my diary from a year ago when things were much more calm to see what I did then and it seems that I was eating far more 'normally' then and its only when i try to lose more that my brain goes into a strange place of restricting/overeating.
Hope the calmer approach will help hun
Have a fab day!
xx

Back