Alli???

We all know that diet and exercise is the only safe and effective method to healthy weight loss. I started sw at the same time as a friend started a low fat diet with alli and after her initial success in first two weeks if you looked at our weight losses after a total 8 week period i actually lost 1lb more than her!!
I stuck to SW 100% at all times and drank 6 glasses of water daily and also did a salcasise dvd for 45 mins 4 times a week and this obviously worked. Slimming world defo works if being followed to the letter, stick with it and as has been mentioned 1lb a week is 4 stone at the end of the year!!

I am seriously thinking about taking alli (orlistat) while sticking to the slimming world plan as i have been doing for the last few months. What do you think?
I am just looking for something to speed up weightloss as i seem to be losing a pound and half pounds every week. I have spoke to my counsellor and she says my diet plan is really good and some people just lose slower than others however i am becoming increasingly demotivated. :confused:

why dont you try a week or two of sucess express, i would talk to your consultant tell her how you are feeling but on the whole 1.5lbs is a good weightloss
theres lots of ways to speed your weightloss without taking tablets try the ten speed foods a day challenge for a week or two see if that helps you have already commited top the diet and are paying your weekly fees i would give it a chance before throwing more money around unless you'd like to throw it my way :p

Just got to agree with what others have said. I was prescribed Xenical by the GP and if you *are* eating fat the side effects are unmentionable - DON'T GO THERE - seriously :eek:

If you're NOT eating much fat (ie on a SW diet) they wont have much effect anyway as there is very little fat there to be blocking. And you DO NEED SOME fat in your diet to help the uptake of vitamins and minerals, especially calcium/vitamin D.

I personally do not understand why people would want to use Alli.

I think the side effects mentioned (and i have NO experience of them myself) sound totally and utterly vile.

I also think of the long term thoughts on losing weight. To me, Alli sounds like a shortcut and a 'crutch' - in that, once you stop taking it you will not have learnt much - apart from the 'dont eat fatty foods for fear of leaking orange goo out your butt'.

Sorry i just hate things/products that dont seem to help people mentally to eat healthy for life. SW is a great eating plan that allows treats and fits into everyones life, with only a few limits!

Sorry i am so anti - alli!

x

Me too Becky! You have said it all, totally agree with you, just pure 100% S W gets you results in a healthy and sustainable way if you stick to the plan and no tweeking.

Ellebear said:
I personally do not understand why people would want to use Alli.

I think the side effects mentioned (and i have NO experience of them myself) sound totally and utterly vile.

I also think of the long term thoughts on losing weight. To me, Alli sounds like a shortcut and a 'crutch' - in that, once you stop taking it you will not have learnt much - apart from the 'dont eat fatty foods for fear of leaking orange goo out your butt'.

Sorry i just hate things/products that dont seem to help people mentally to eat healthy for life. SW is a great eating plan that allows treats and fits into everyones life, with only a few limits!

Sorry i am so anti - alli!

x

When you can't control your appetite and are in tears after a massive binge, Xenical/Alli sound like the sort of thing you could do with. They deter you from eating bad food because the side effects would be horrible. If you follow a low fat diet and take the pills, you won't experience those side effects, and hopefully you will lose weight. That's why people want to use medicines like Alli.

If you're on Alli and still eat junk, have oily leakage and can't control your eating, the Alli won't help you, like I've said it's not a magic pill. These medications are supposed to help people eat healthier food, it's not a shortcut. Some people see it as one but it's not and shouldn't be used that way. Chances are people who take it and don't use it properly are the ones looking for a shortcut.

Don't be anti-Alli, be anti-Alli abuse! :)

They deter you from eating bad food because the side effects would be horrible. If you follow a low fat diet and take the pills, you won't experience those side effects, and hopefully you will lose weight. That's why people want to use medicines like Alli.

Personally they didnt deter me from eating junk. I knew what the outcome would be but I did it anyway - its a bit like getting drunk I guess, we all know about the hangover but we do it anyway. So they were ineffective in that way for me - I guess it might be a deterrent for some people, but certainly not everyone.

I have to repeat myself on the second point though - if you follow a low fat diet AND take the pills you are wasting your time and money because the pills simply WILL NOT BE EFFECTIVE when your fat intake is low anyway. And you could in fact be harming yourself as you DO need fat in your diet. Its uptake should only be blocked when it is EXCESSIVE - on a low fat diet your fat intake is NOT excessive so you should not be trying to block it.

(I trained as a doctor (of the medical variety) btw so I do know what Im talking about ;) )

ermintrude said:
Personally they didnt deter me from eating junk. I knew what the outcome would be but I did it anyway - its a bit like getting drunk I guess, we all know about the hangover but we do it anyway. So they were ineffective in that way for me - I guess it might be a deterrent for some people, but certainly not everyone.

I have to repeat myself on the second point though - if you follow a low fat diet AND take the pills you are wasting your time and money because the pills simply WILL NOT BE EFFECTIVE when your fat intake is low anyway. And you could in fact be harming yourself as you DO need fat in your diet. Its uptake should only be blocked when it is EXCESSIVE - on a low fat diet your fat intake is NOT excessive so you should not be trying to block it.

(I trained as a doctor (of the medical variety) btw so I do know what Im talking about ;) )

Didn't deter me either, I'm still 20 odd stone so yeah... It was something I needed to do at the time though, glad I tried it because I know now that it's only me who can change my attitude towards food. I mean if orange oil didn't stop me I obviously have deeper issues that I need to sort out! And I'm happy to say SW is working for me, 3rd time is a charm and somehow it's all clicked into place.

IMO the OP should really consider the points that have been raised before heading out to pick up the pills! If you're following the plan 100% then Alli isn't going to make much of a difference and as Erm has pointed out you may end up harming your diet by reducing fat intake further. Why not try other methods to boost your losses before trying Alli? There are loads of threads on here with ideas on how to get bigger losses (would search & link but not on a PC just now) I tried green tea and got good results from that, switch to another plan (red works really well for me), exercise more, eat more super free, try a success express week?

I don't agree with you all, I'm currently taking orlistat but the doc prescribed ones which are double the strength and following slimmingworld! I started 3 weeks ago and have lost 11.5lbs after 2 WI's.

Orlistat works by stopping 1/3 of the fat you eat from entering your system and by doing so the other 2/3's are used as your energy source rather than stored as fat.

With regards to the side effects, if you eat something full of fat, you will know about it! Less than 5g fat per 100g and your fine! I find they're working brilliant with SW plan!

:-D

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Hope I've helped!! Xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Have to say I agree with this poster.

I've used Alli in the past too and you only get side effects if you really go overboard with the fats (in which case you are advised not to take the tablets anyway).

Other posters are right too, if you are having a meal with little or no fat Alli will have nothing to work on so don't take the tablets and save yourself some cash :)

Give it a go for a couple of weeks and see if your weight loss speeds up?

x

Thankyou to everyone for their advice. I have decided not to bother with alli and up my exercise instead. Wish me luck xx

Good luck Pouchie!! As others on this thread have said, there are loads of ways within SW to try and speed up your losses - I vote for a fishy week or a Success Express week. Or try switching the plans up, maybe you'd do better on Green or Red (if you're following EE now).

Think about whats in a typically slimming world style diet... the food has very little fat in it. There are 9 calories per gram of fat. Therefore you'd have to be losing 388g fat per week to lose 1lb extra (3500 calories). Which means you'd have to be consuming over 1000g of fat a week to lose 1lb.

Say you do consume that much fat... and you start losing, and keep at it. When you come off it (which you have to as its NOT advised long term) you will suddenly have 3500 calories (or 1lb) extras worth of food to either not eat or somehow work off, because your body has been used to set amount of fat/calories.

Thankyou to everyone for their advice. I have decided not to bother with alli and up my exercise instead. Wish me luck xx

Hey,
A great plan I think, well done.
If you are drastically upping the exercise though make sure you increase your water intake as this helps repair the muscles and helps to flush the body;-)

Back