Alli???

Pouchie

I am seriously thinking about taking alli (orlistat) while sticking to the slimming world plan as i have been doing for the last few months. What do you think?
I am just looking for something to speed up weightloss as i seem to be losing a pound and half pounds every week. I have spoke to my counsellor and she says my diet plan is really good and some people just lose slower than others however i am becoming increasingly demotivated. :confused:

Have you read the side effects?
Patience! you don't gain weight overnight so can't expect to come off that quick. Have you considered introducing exercise if you haven't already? x

I know someone who tried that and essentially she said she was more or less eating on the toilet as it comes back out :( and she had one or two "accidents!" are you exercising? Body magic can help you loose an extra 1-2st per year x

Doesn't alli work by just removing the fat from the food you eat? In which case it won't make all that much difference when following SW as you won't be eating foods with much fat in them anyway. I know it can be difficult to maintain motivation but 1-2lbs is what SW recommend as a steady weight loss.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

But you are not losing slowly! You are losing 1lb a week and that is exactly what should be aiming for. What are you hoping to lose? It may just be that you have unrealistic expectations. 1lb a week for a year is nearly 4 stone!

I would not touch Alli with a very long pole! The side-effects are unspeakable, and as has been mentioned, the drug works on the fat you eat - and with SW you aren't eating very much fat anyway.

You would be wasting your money.

I don't agree with you all, I'm currently taking orlistat but the doc prescribed ones which are double the strength and following slimmingworld! I started 3 weeks ago and have lost 11.5lbs after 2 WI's.

Orlistat works by stopping 1/3 of the fat you eat from entering your system and by doing so the other 2/3's are used as your energy source rather than stored as fat.

With regards to the side effects, if you eat something full of fat, you will know about it! Less than 5g fat per 100g and your fine! I find they're working brilliant with SW plan!

:-D

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Hope I've helped!! Xx

I don't agree with you all, I'm currently taking orlistat but the doc prescribed ones which are double the strength and following slimmingworld! I started 3 weeks ago and have lost 11.5lbs after 2 WI's.

Without knowing what you would have lost without the Orlistat, I don't think that is a fair representation of SW as a diet. Had you been experiencing 1lb losses then suddenly jumped to 11lb with the prescription I would have thought "wow!", but without having a standard weight loss to compare it too I'm not convinced these tablets work miracles.

When I started SW in Nov 2010 I lost 1 stone in 4 weeks without any kind of dietry aid. This time I lost 5lb in a week and my cousin lost 7lb in her first week.

Come on Pouchie.

You started SW at the end of Nov, and only really started getting to grips with having your superfree (which is an integral - and not unreasonable- part of the healthy eating plan) at the beginning of December. You then had a couple of good weeks (more than I managed in December!!) before 'coming off the waggon' over Xmas.

Now, I am not mentioning the about to criticise. I've only just gone back on plan 100% myself - December was H A R D! But, why don't you see what you can achieve when you really stick to the plan 100% over a sustained period of time rather than reaching for quick-fixes.

If nothing else, I think it's an important part of SW to learn to eat healthily, and trust that you know how to eat in a way that will help you lose weight (as a healthy rate).

Obviously, it's up to you though at the end of the day.

xx

Pouchie said:
I am seriously thinking about taking alli (orlistat) while sticking to the slimming world plan as i have been doing for the last few months. What do you think?
I am just looking for something to speed up weightloss as i seem to be losing a pound and half pounds every week. I have spoke to my counsellor and she says my diet plan is really good and some people just lose slower than others however i am becoming increasingly demotivated. :confused:

Hi Pouchie

You shouldn't be disappointed with small losses, after all it is a loss and not like you've gained. These losses will all add up eventually.

I tried Xenical last year and I felt that I just lost and gained the same few pounds each week, it really didn't work for me. It's not a magic pill, it might not work for you, which ends up with you feeling even more demotivated especially when you're suffering side effects but gaining/STS at WI.

Are you following SW 100%? Have you been tweaking anything? Not had your 1/3 super free or not counted healthy extras properly? Maybe you should look at these things before taking a pill.

Xxx

leannewales87 said:

Orlistat works by stopping 1/3 of the fat you eat from entering your system and by doing so the other 2/3's are used as your energy source rather than stored as fat.

With regards to the side effects, if you eat something full of fat, you will know about it! Less than 5g fat per 100g and your fine! I find they're working brilliant with SW plan!

:-D

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Hope I've helped!! Xx

Unless your body is in ketosis you don't burn fat as energy, energy comes from carbohydrates x

JezVonSavage said:
Without knowing what you would have lost without the Orlistat, I don't think that is a fair representation of SW as a diet. Had you been experiencing 1lb losses then suddenly jumped to 11lb with the prescription I would have thought "wow!", but without having a standard weight loss to compare it too I'm not convinced these tablets work miracles.

When I started SW in Nov 2010 I lost 1 stone in 4 weeks without any kind of dietry aid. This time I lost 5lb in a week and my cousin lost 7lb in her first week.

I have done slimming world a number of times and never had the results I've had so far!

Not sure if it's the tablets or the fact it puts me off eating rubbish because of the side effects?! Either way, it works for me!

I dont think this is fair showing of what alli does though cause i lost 11lb in the 1st two weeks of slimming world just by following the plan.

I think u should just continue to follow the plan as you know it works you are continually losing weight.

leannewales87 said:
I have done slimming world a number of times and never had the results I've had so far!

Not sure if it's the tablets or the fact it puts me off eating rubbish because of the side effects?! Either way, it works for me!

Yes, if anything I can see how they would deter you from eating junk! Do you take them before every meal or just before a hefty meal?

I actually found when I took them (pre Slimming World, just on a low fat diet of my own invention some years ago now) that they slowed my weight loss to a standstill. I went from regularly losing 2-3lb a week to STS week after week after week. Came off them and the weight losses rocketed again.

This may not happen with you, but wanted to highlight the possibility as I know I am not the only person on this forum who has experienced this and just wanted to point out that they are not a miracle diet cure, more an effective deterrent from binging on rubbish.

Thank you to everyone for there advice it is really appreciated. Think I just thought that as I have 4 stone to lose i would be losing more than half a pound a week (i completely understand any weightloss is good). I am going to the classes with my friend who needs to lose less than me and is losing much more on a week to week basis and drinks every weekend(I know we are all different, but even so:cry:). I have shown my diet diary to my counsellor and she is happy and told me not to be dishearterned. I just feel like giving up.

Thank you to everyone for there advice it is really appreciated. Think I just thought that as I have 4 stone to lose i would be losing more than half a pound a week (i completely understand any weightloss is good). I am going to the classes with my friend who needs to lose less than me and is losing much more on a week to week basis and drinks every weekend(I know we are all different, but even so:cry:). I have shown my diet diary to my counsellor and she is happy and told me not to be dishearterned. I just feel like giving up.

Oh hun please dont give up. I know how disheartening it can be when the scales arent moving at the rate you would like but what is the alternative? I know that even when I'm not losing huge amounts that at least when I stick to plan I'm not gaining & still eating well.

I not even going to comment on whether you should or shouldnt try alli firstly because I have no experience of it and secondly because its your personal choice and sometimes in life when we get something into our heads no matter what others say we need to try them for ourselves first.

One thing that I found helped give my weightloss a wee boost was drinking green tea. Now I know its not the most pleasant thing to drink but I drink the one with a hint of lemon & you kind of get used to it. Might be worth a try but whatever you decide good luck :)

Things to consider re weight loss on SW.... not suggesting you don't do these things, but they are key areas where people do go a bit wrong....

Do you weigh and measure everything? Milk, cheese, cereal etc

Do you have your third superfree with each meal?

Do you snack on superfree rather than free/syn food?

Do you have a "treat night"

Do you check the syn value of everything?

Not going to comment on the Alli but just wanted to offer some advice to maybe speed up the weight loss.

I am going to the classes with my friend who needs to lose less than me and is losing much more on a week to week basis and drinks every weekend(I know we are all different, but even so:cry:).

Firstly, don't give up! SW is a great way of healthy living and any loss per week is a step in the right direction.

In relation to your friend, you say that she drinks every weekend. Maybe that is the way in which she uses up her syns? Do you use your syns throughout the week?

I have to admit, I don't use my syns for things such as chocolate (since starting SW in early May, I hadn't had any chocolate until the week before Xmas and the tins of chocs came out at work and we also had pudding day! And I've not had any since Xmas either, I don't miss it for some reason). Every now and again I will incorporate some into meals, using things such as chorizo, extra cheese, mustard, etc, but I mainly use mine on a Friday and Saturday night for a few glasses of wine and I still lose most weeks.

I experimented when I first started and used hardly any syns during the week and had a couple of weekends with no wine, and those weeks I lost virtually nothing, which proved to me that using your syns is vital.

I tend to lose slowly, between 0.5lbs - 1.5lbs per week usually, with some 3lbs very rarely. But I am happy with whatever losses I get, as a loss is a loss after all.

I won't comment in relation to Alli as I have never used it, but I will back Sweet Pink up on the green tea - when I drink green tea regularly I tend to lose more, and there are some lovely flavours out there these days.

I have alli before from the docs but found that it didn't work for me and didn't suit my lifestyle.
I know some people use it pretty much just as a deterrent and if that works, ok, although there are some arguments for why people would use chemicals for no purpose other than a deterrent. It didn't work as a deterrent for me though, it worked as a 'get out of gain free card' and if I knew I had a meal out or whatever then I'd just prepare for the onslaught the next day and eat whatever I wanted.
I stopped taking it and my weight loses actually improved (not surprising seeing as I was actually eating healthily)
Slimming world works - it may not give 3-5 losses consistently like fad diets but that's unhealthy and depriving do who cares?
If you are losing 0.5-1lb a week (which, as everyone says, is at least a loss) then alli will only help you lose up to (and it's up to do could be for less than this) and extra 0.25-0.5lb more. Is it really worth it when you have to carefully check what you're eating and what you are spending your syns on? I much rather have my takeaway every week, on plan, and still lose than do all that but with a visit from the tango man for the sake of 0.25lb.
Good luck whatever you decide. Xx

Back