Allowed vegetables - Limits?

Brownie_Earthquake

Hey everyone,

I've been thinking (in my 18+ months of Dukan with my successes and my failures) about the vegetables that we're allowed and the limits.

Now, I love butternut squash, and I usually cook two a week. And I love them - I mean, I could eat a whole one. I don't, because I share it, but either way, I eat a lot of it.

Because as Dukan specifies, we're not on any limits, right?

Anyway, I knew they were moderately high in carbohydrates, but I didn't realise how high, or how much sugar they contain. They have more carbs and sugar than the forbidden avocado, it even has more carbs and sugar than peanut butter or marshmallows!

So should I limit how much I eat these, or is it really OK to be 'limitless'?

I think the rule is 2/3 protein to 1/3 veg on your plate, and green veg is good!

Wow, you have done brilliantly on Dukan! :worthy:

I seem to remember someone on here recommending that veg should be 1/3 of your meal, with 2/3 being protein. That naturally limits the quantity, which would keep the carb content down, and makes sure you are eating enough protein.

Don't know where that came from though, but I've been following it and it seems to be working.

I could eat masses of veg too!

One question on the 1/3 vegetables and 2/3 protein. What measurement is this? Calories, physically the weight or size?

Thanks for the replies. I guess this just reconfirmed what I really already knew which is that I have been on too many vegetables.

I kind of struggle to acknowledge that as a sensible statement though, as obviously nobody ever got fat from eating vegetables and ultimately for this diet to be healthy you can't start becoming absurdly scared of eating vegetables or whatever, because that's when the whole thing stops being about a diet and becomes a mania.

I guess I should consign my squash to the same place I have had to consign my cake-baking books :cry:

Btw wheesht - I did do brilliantly for the first year, thank you, but I had did mess up badly recently and don't deserve any praise given my actions!

One question on the 1/3 vegetables and 2/3 protein. What measurement is this? Calories, physically the weight or size?

I tend to just kind of look at the amount of space it's all taking up on my plate, but I do have more if it's green veg. I think my brief foray into Atkins and counting my carbs made me a little wary of eating too much veg like butternut and celeriac, both of which I love but try to limit.

Hey, this is one good thing about not having a great love of vegetables.

That is speaking as a child of the early 60's who was always given Yeomen tinned potatoes and a can of mixed veg with my sunday dinner. Is it any wonder I don't love my veg as I should.

There is no way I could become a veggie!

6494438.jpg

LOL... I can see how growing up on tinned vegetables would put you off for life!

I know so many people that don't touch vegetables and I can't understand why, but maybe they have similar experiences to you!

LOL... I can see how growing up on tinned vegetables would put you off for life!

I know so many people that don't touch vegetables and I can't understand why, but maybe they have similar experiences to you!

I will eat them but mostly in other things ie chili, curries etc.

I have turned over a new leaf :rolleyes: in the salad department though, I have veered a bit more towards lettuce since I started this diet. Tommies and cucumber were never a problem but lettuce ........ was for slugs!

Well that is all the little swines ate when I grew it for my hubby!

:D

Hi all, sorry for being silly and asking this question (it just aint sinking in so need it explained) lol but what does the 1/3 2/3 thing mean? can I have an example please? thanks and sorry :)

Hi all, sorry for being silly and asking this question (it just aint sinking in so need it explained) lol but what does the 1/3 2/3 thing mean? can I have an example please? thanks and sorry :)

Basically if you had 6 items of food on your plate, say all the same size as an example, 4 of those 6 things should be protein based ie meat, fish etc and the other 2 veg.

I am sure someone will come up with a better explanation but I am sure you understand what I mean.

;)

i kind of understand :) thanks for that....so say I have a chicken breast fillet...how much veg would I be able to have with that? I tend to only eat one peice of meat for my meals wether it be a steak, a peice of fish or a peice of chicken (gettin knowledge now before i move on to cruise) so thanks for the help :)

i kind of understand :) thanks for that....so say I have a chicken breast fillet...how much veg would I be able to have with that? I tend to only eat one peice of meat for my meals wether it be a steak, a peice of fish or a peice of chicken (gettin knowledge now before i move on to cruise) so thanks for the help :)

I wouldn't get too hung up on the exactness of it, I think it is just a case of eating veg in 'normal' quantities, so don't fill yourself up on veg - this is a protein diet. So for example I would class a chicken breast and a reasonable sized cauli floret and 2 or 3 florets of say brocolli as normal, but a chicken breast with a whole butternut or a whole cauli is not normal.

...a chicken breast with a whole butternut or a whole cauli is not normal.

Phew.

As another veggie-hater, I'll let the bns [STRIKE]fester[/STRIKE] stay in the veggie drawer for a few days then. It's freaking me out a little tbh. I already have brocolli & aubergine out for dinner.

I'm planning to try Dukan's suggestion of baking the aubergine with garlic cloves. Anyone else done that yet? - edited to add: The baked aubergine, less two spoonfuls, is now in the bin.

Last edited:
...I just want to point out that even though I COULD eat a whole butternut squash, I don't! I know I eat too much, but I think I am still within the spectrum of normality :D

Haaa! I'm chuckling as I read this.

In my "previous life", I hated veg too. I weighed 22 stone 2lbs :)

Now I adore veg and have great trouble sticking to the recommended ratio of veg to protein. How did this transformation happen? I "got hungry" is how I usually tell the tale to veg haters! As I wasn't on a high protein diet at the time, I did fill up on veg... big platefuls of the stuff, as moderation is never my middle name! Now I still do this to some extent at weekends when my veg plot is producing loads of beans etc., but I exercise restraint in the city weekdays when it costs me money!!

PP - the way I work it is to look at your plate and mentally divide it into three portions. Two need protein on them, and just one the veg/salad... (and I'm good at construction 3D castles of veg ;))

OK green leafy veg (per Atkins rules) won't cause one much angst but perhaps some water retention...

Maintainer, do you know if the ratio has to be this at both meals or for example could you have equal amounts of salad with meat at a meal and then at a different time for a snack have meat only?

In other words, can the ratio of veg to meat be a total for the day?

Back