Allowed vs tolerated dairy

Joydriven

In the states version, the book lists non fat dairy is unlimited with nf cream cheese right amongst nf milk, nf yogurt, nf cottage cheese, nf sour cream in the same sentence.

In the states quark is not available and nf cream cheese is frequently mentioned as a sub. So, if nf cream cheese is a tolerated can someone tell me about the change? Is this a Dukan revision, a learned from experience, or based on fat/carb allowable ratios?

There was a post about dairy and what's allowed and what's not on Dukan's Facebook page. After reading it, I was more confused than before. I'll see if I can refined it and copy here.

Also, I did find a US produced quark, but not non fat. Think it's fat content is 3%. Any thoughts on it's use? Wondering what nf quark fat % is, zero probably?

The quark tubs I have don't really list it, it's labelled as "virtually fat free" .. that's the one from Tesco or Morrisons... I can't recall what it says on the Sainsburys version..

mine says fat free....

Thanks all! I was pretty certain my quark would be different. Wondering though about the 5% allowed fat for meat and dairy which would then make it ok.

I do understand that all this becomes grey area. Interestingly, Dukan tries to walk the line and avoid grey areas so this becomes quirky and is probably left best to self learning.

Can't find the page/discussion with all the varying allowable carb/sugar/fat for each dairy product and not sure I want too! But here again nf cream cheese is listednas unlimited so, for now until I stagnate, I'm going to leave it on the table. http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=206726646033928

Remember that the original book was written in French 20 odd years ago and that, over here, we find fat free dairy very easily. (We have fat free fromage blanc, fromage frais - similar to your quark; but also fat free flavoured yoghurts, with fewer carbs than those in the UK. We also have fat free "ham" - a disgusting synthetic product as far from real "ham" as anything could be, and his references in the book to low fat ham is that rather than the far nicer stuff the UK market turns out).

If, in the US, you find fat free cream cheese, then that'll be fine provided it's unsweetened too.

3% dairy is considered a tolerated food and is restricted to 30g per day (for cheese, 1 125ml pot yoghurt per day), two maximum tolerateds a day, and it's suggested to keep well away UNLESS you're content with your weight loss.

The English version of the book didn't mention specific brands, just referred to fat free products, and we pick up information on the chat section of the official website, visible to all. Some dairy originally "allowed" in the UK (such as toffee and vanilla Muller Lites) has now become "tolerated" at one per day etc etc because - I presume - it stalled people's weight loss (higher carbs, double the size of the French fat free flavoured yoghurts)...

I must admit that I have not read the US book or ever looked at the chat on their official site. I believe that is where you will find more specific product information available on your supermarket shelves. In time, these recommendations will inevitably evolve as more people do the diet in the US and their results are monitored.

I hope this makes things a little clearer, Joy. I think at the moment you are the only one on the site from the US but, provided you keep your eye on the small print of the dairy you are having, and the results on your scales, you'll be fine.

And, as we said, while you're still losing (some in the UK say they lose having Muller Lites so why not!), I wouldn't worry unduly...

Thank you, Maintainer. I kept reading 5% then 3% and not keeping them straight for dairy vs meat. Then read 5% dairy. So, you've straightened that out and now I know quark rules. And nf cream cheese! Funny how my taste evolved. Couldn't stand the flavor of nf cream cheese and would forego it rather than eat it. Now, I don't notice the flavor at all just appreciate the creamy mouth feel it provides.

With my weight stall/gain, I've revisited tolerated vs non and removed several from my diet, so getting the official word now on these is helpful. And, so far, by removing those delightful LC cheeses, my weight loss restarted. Could be a coincidence or, maybe, my beginning to walk?

So important to keep a menu log! Should look back and see what else i'd changed. I know diet sodas were added. And typically, I never drink them at all. Hmmmm.

Back