*Almost SYN-FREE* home-made soft cheese - in any flavour you like!

I've just made your cheese. As a dip it would be devine and I'm sure the cheese will be equally as good. I've put one clove garlic in plus chopped chives and a little salt.

Thanks for the idea :)

I have one in the fridge "ripening"now.I used garlic herbs and pepper and kept a bit aside to top my spagetti and tomato lunch..... delicious even when not set :)

I've just put some in the fridge. Only had yeo valley fat free yogurt so used that. Put a couple of cloves of garlic, salt, pepper and a couple of teaspoons of dried herbs (haven't got any fresh). Will let you know how it turns out.

Has this been checked out with slimming world as being free food if using fat free yogurt? Only reason I ask is because I tried the no count diet with ww a few years ago, and if you removed the moisture from something you had to point it and it wasn't free any more. Although not sure how you could syn it if it is fat free anyway,:flirt2:

If uyou read the rest of the thread this has been discussed, I think the consensus was that as with anything else, if you were using it as a snack you'd have to syn it but if it's part of a regular meal it would just be the syn value of the ingredients.

Well, this is a deffo winner for me.
I tried it Thursday night (ready for a baked spud for lunch Friday).
I used the small pot of 0% Total + a clean pop-sock! I stirred in a bit of this & that but then, for the size of the pot, went a bit mad on pepper - it was ok but .... lesson learned :D
I've got another pot ready to try again and think I'll save some of tomorrow's roast BNS & mix it with some herbs.
The consistency was excellent & I thoroughly recommend it.

Thanks again Ermintrude from bringing it to my attention.

Finally getting around to trying this! It's in my kitchen "cooking" just now. I used the leg off a pair of tights instead of muslin cos I never got round to ordering that online :rolleyes:. I used 0% total and put black pepper and garlic into mine. Tasted good as savoury greek yoghurt, can only taste better as syn free cheese :drool:

It's not in the fridge, there wasn't any room, will it be ok just on the counter? :)

If uyou read the rest of the thread this has been discussed, I think the consensus was that as with anything else, if you were using it as a snack you'd have to syn it but if it's part of a regular meal it would just be the syn value of the ingredients.

How would we syn it if using 0% which is syn free? The whole tub is 285 cals, which is 14.5 syns I believe, would you have to use that as the syn value? That would make a tbsp about half a syn? If my maths can be trusted anyway :eek:

Hmmm.. I might ignore this pesky half syn. Only going to have it in place of marge, so on toast or in sandwiches :confused: it'd be syn free if I ate it as yoghurt and I'd eat a lot more of the yoghurt than I would eat soft cheese, so, yeah. Syn free :innocent0002:

thanks for sharing. going to try this to go with salad & JP x

Tried this yesterday and whilst it tastes nice, it was still like really thick yogurt rather than what is posted. I definately remembered the salt.

Does anyone have any ideas what I did wrong?

dragoneye454 said:
Tried this yesterday and whilst it tastes nice, it was still like really thick yogurt rather than what is posted. I definately remembered the salt.

Mines the same, I gave up lol x

Another recipe added to the list for next week, might actually try this at the weekend as having an afternoon tea party for my Mum and MIL on Sunday, they would both love this as long as I don't load it with garlic :) Hmm I still have my easiyo maker, might have to drag it from the back of the cupboard.

It should stand up, solid like cheese, not like thick yoghurt. If it didnt then you need to put more pressure on it to squeeze the liquid out of the yoghurt and/or leave it longer. Put something heavy on top to keep it squashed right down and leave it a good 24h or more.

If it tastes too salty then either too much salt went in (Im not taking the p ;) my measurements were for Maldon sea salt, you'd need a different amount of table/cooking salt or whatever) or you didn't have enough of the other flavours to balance it out?

Or maybe its just not your kind of thing, we cant all like the same stuff :D

Thank you. What a great idea.

Wonder how it will taste if you put it inside a giant mushroom and grill it!

Thank you. What a great idea.

Wonder how it will taste if you put it inside a giant mushroom and grill it!

It wont melt, its not that kind of cheese :D

Stop it you are giving me the cheesy urge! And I have a fridge full of the stuff to use up! :eek:

6833136700_731d91a1bf_o.jpg

Noooooooooo not the cheese urge!!!!! :hide:

Oooo-er, there's an idea. I'm thinking, simmer mushrooms in seasoned water then just put it, with cheese, under the grill just to warm up. Mmmmmmmm

By the way Muis - just being nosey but are you from Hertfordshire or Herefordshire?

Last edited:
I will be at your house in 5 minutes!!!! We can share this problem!!!

Back