*Almost SYN-FREE* home-made soft cheese - in any flavour you like!

Oooo-er, there's an idea. I'm thinking, simmer mushrooms in seasoned water then just put it, with cheese just to warm up. Mmmmmmmm

By the way Muis - just being nosey but are you from Hertfordshire or Herefordshire?

OOPS....well spotted!!! Hertfordshire

Stop it you are giving me the cheesy urge! And I have a fridge full of the stuff to use up! :eek:

6833136700_731d91a1bf_o.jpg

Noooooooooo not the cheese urge!!!!! :hide:
Ooooo! :eek: CHEESE! Mmmmm, I could take it off your hands if you like :D

It should stand up, solid like cheese, not like thick yoghurt. If it didnt then you need to put more pressure on it to squeeze the liquid out of the yoghurt and/or leave it longer. Put something heavy on top to keep it squashed right down and leave it a good 24h or more.

If it tastes too salty then either too much salt went in (Im not taking the p ;) my measurements were for Maldon sea salt, you'd need a different amount of table/cooking salt or whatever) or you didn't have enough of the other flavours to balance it out?

Or maybe its just not your kind of thing, we cant all like the same stuff :D

Thanks for that. Left it a bit longer and it is gorgeous. Tastes like philli without the syns woo hoo!!!

Pretty impressed with this recipe, cheers Erm :)

The only thing I did wrong was over season it! I'm guessing that as it strains off, the flavours intensify, because when I tasted it as yogurt it was amazing, but as cheese it's really garlicky. Less is more I think with this one. It's still really good though, definitely like boursin!

I'm going to roast some peppers and mix them through it next time and add much less seasoning!! :drool:

Wow, I am SO trying this!!! Thanks Erm x

hello all! quick question, does it come out anything like quark? because i HATE quark with a passion :-( I'm reading it's more like philli? :)

Mine's ready, just had a little taste and it's lovely, think it could have done with a bit more pepper and garlic, I under seasoned as everyone said it was too overpowering, think I'm going to roll it in black pepper and wrap it in clingfilm to give it a nice shape ready for tea tomorrow :)

Bumping this as in my opinion it is THE best recipe anyone has ever posted on here. Made my second batch yesterday, with garlic and chopped chives, mixed herbs and black pepper. Just had some now with hex B crackerbreads, and will be having the rest for lunch with a hex b pitta and salad. And then I am going to the shop to buy some more Total 0 to make some more :D

Bumping this as in my opinion it is THE best recipe anyone has ever posted on here. Made my second batch yesterday, with garlic and chopped chives, mixed herbs and black pepper. Just had some now with hex B crackerbreads, and will be having the rest for lunch with a hex b pitta and salad. And then I am going to the shop to buy some more Total 0 to make some more :D

You *quite* like it then MLM? :D:D:D

I made this the other day it was lovely (even though I put too much garlic in) have brought more yoghurt to make diff flavours :) thank you.

MadameLaMinx said:

Oh chive,garlic,black pepper and mixed herbs sounds delicious.

Back