*Almost SYN-FREE* home-made soft cheese - in any flavour you like!

ooh can't wait to give this a go, so much choice in flavours - now which do i pick first!:confused:

For those of you that can't find muslin cloth anywhere - I got some from a stall on our local market that sells homebrew stuff, cake decorating stuff and herbs (much cheaper than in the supermarket). Not made any yet but I'm just off to the supermarket now to get ingredients to make this for taster session on friday morning.

Just made Boursin with my daughter. It was fun to make and tastes fab. I now feel all domestic goddess

This was incredible. It tastes too good to be true! It does need plenty of seasoning. I am having it on burgers tonight. Try this, you won't be disappointed :)

For those of you that can't find muslin cloth anywhere - I got some from a stall on our local market that sells homebrew stuff, cake decorating stuff and herbs (much cheaper than in the supermarket). Not made any yet but I'm just off to the supermarket now to get ingredients to make this for taster session on friday morning.

they also sell in tescos asda etc. in the baby sections x

Hi Ermintrude

I am new to the forum scene and just come across this thread I am sooooooo excited now!!! This is such a simple recepie and sounds yummy!

I am not very good at thinking outside the box when it comes to food but reading this and how simple things are to make maybe I can find some inspiration from you.
Thank you for including pictures this really helps and a very very good idea. I think following a recipe for me is difficult just reading it. Now I realise if I get books with picture instructions aswell my life maybe become easier in the food department and inturn I will lose this 3 stone with ease.
I have 3 children aswell and everybody appears to want different things to eat so by the time it comes to me I have lost intrest!!
I can not wait to try this will post back when I get round to it.
Thanks again for the brilliant idea.
Wow am I seeing this right you have lost 9and a half stone?......if so that is so FANTASTIC and a real inspiration I have tears just writing this........very emotional person I love to see people acheive such big challenges well done you bless you.

Slimbod77 :bighug:

Your allowed to eat 0% total anytime so why would it be good abuse???

Maybe because you are removing the liquid! still going to have a go at making it though lol, just added yogurt to my tesco list haha

I checked with my consultant on this. Food abuse is when you use a free food in a way it would not usually be used (ie Make a cake from Cous Cous, dry roast chcikpeas etc) and tese should be synned, hiwever my consultant comfirmed that this particular home made cheese is not considered food abuse. Though like all free foods you should exercise portion control by making sure you have 1/3rd superfree.

And if you're struggling to buy muslim cloths, tights work just as well :)

Hey kingleds

Thanks for taking the time to double check very useful information.
I have tried the method with garlic and lemon juice!.........it is lush reminds me of oil oil that you get in Spain with tapas yum yum

Thanks again guys

Slimbod77:bighug:

I find that you need so little of it that its not many calories anyway, so I dont care about synning it, but its great to hear from kingleds' C that its free, thanks for checking that! :)

I had a bash today with a pot of from frais that was lurking in the fridge. I didn't flavour it as I wanted to try the kids on the general idea then work up to flavour combos lol. I can't believe how well it comes out!! If I diced fruit into it would that be free still do you think? I think a pineapple version would be YUM. I'm already plotting properly cheesy cheesecake too!!

Legomom said:
I had a bash today with a pot of from frais that was lurking in the fridge. I didn't flavour it as I wanted to try the kids on the general idea then work up to flavour combos lol. I can't believe how well it comes out!! If I diced fruit into it would that be free still do you think? I think a pineapple version would be YUM. I'm already plotting properly cheesy cheesecake too!!

Never thought about sweet stuff. Brilliant! Cheesecake type thing with crushed alpen light. Fromage frais and pineapple or apricots blueberries. Genius LegoMum!

Ps. I should change my name to "Harry Potter" years 4-7 Lego for the wii. :). Talk about obsessed kids!

mrstaylor said:
Never thought about sweet stuff. Brilliant! Cheesecake type thing with crushed alpen light. Fromage frais and pineapple or apricots blueberries. Genius LegoMum!

Ps. I should change my name to "Harry Potter" years 4-7 Lego for the wii. :). Talk about obsessed kids!

Hahaaaaa obsessed isn't the word in our house. I have two lads with varying degrees of Aspergers. I actually AM the Legomom!!

Ooo, you've got me thinking now. I might mix some of this cheese with a couple of m&S count on us vanilla yogurts for a free cheesecake topping & syn chocolate & fudge alpen lights for the base. Top with raspberries for my 1/3rd superfree. Job Done :)

Might experiment at the weekend

when you say add salt...how much...like a pinch or 1/2 a tsp..???:confused:
going shopping tonight so going to try this ...thanks

You add salt to taste. I like a good grind of salt on mine! I added all the ingredients then tried it before I made it into cheese.

You also need the salt to draw out the whey & make it into the cheese consistency, so make sure you don't omit it!

Back