*Almost SYN-FREE* home-made soft cheese - in any flavour you like!

Right, I've got garlic, fines herbs (which are the herbs in Boursin) and I'm going to buy a 500g pot of fat free Greek yoghurt from Asda if I can get hold of it. How much of the garlic and herbs should I put in? I don't want it to be too strong, but I want to be able to taste it! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

dudette2001uk said:
Right, I've got garlic, fines herbs (which are the herbs in Boursin) and I'm going to buy a 500g pot of fat free Greek yoghurt from Asda if I can get hold of it. How much of the garlic and herbs should I put in? I don't want it to be too strong, but I want to be able to taste it! Any ideas?

Thanks in advance :)

Be sparing with the garlic.... I put in 3 cloves and it seemed ok but when the yoghurt started becoming chews like the flavour just intensifies and was way too overpowering for me and I loooove garlic.

Be sparing with the garlic.... I put in 3 cloves and it seemed ok but when the yoghurt started becoming chews like the flavour just intensifies and was way too overpowering for me and I loooove garlic.

Thanks for the tip hun...I also love garlic, but don't want it to be overpowering! :)

Brilliant Thankyou. Only drain my for couple of hours a time and it turns out just like philly spread. Will try draining one over night so it goes a bit more crumbly x

Sent from my galaxy s2 using MiniMins app

I made it today using Tesco Value yogurt (syn free AND cheap!), 1tsp garlic powder and 2tsp fines herbes, oh and salt. I can honestly say it is the best SW recipe ever. So much nicer than bought VLF cheese spread and no syns. So thank you for the original and thank you for the Boursin recipe, it really does have the same flavour. I am a very happy bunny tonight!

I made it today using Tesco Value yogurt (syn free AND cheap!), 1tsp garlic powder and 2tsp fines herbes, oh and salt. I can honestly say it is the best SW recipe ever. So much nicer than bought VLF cheese spread and no syns. So thank you for the original and thank you for the Boursin recipe, it really does have the same flavour. I am a very happy bunny tonight!

This is now my plan for this weekend...I forgot to buy a sieve last weekend, oops! Haha! xx

And if you like sweet chilli - yogurt, salt, 1tsp chilli flakes (or more to taste), 2tsp sweetener and a sprinkle of garlic powder. Yep, made another one today!

I made this and it was really good!! And very easy. Salt pepper and one garlic clove. Just bought more yogurt to make the next batch

Well the texture's pretty good this morning - like philly. Would I need to add more salt to get it to go crumbly, or just leave it longer?

Also, does anyone have any tips as to how to counteract the tang of the greek yoghurt? I contemplated a bit of sweetener, but that's probably not very nice in a boursin type cheese!

I think a bit of sweetener might be fine, I have decided there isn't nearly enough in the sweet chilli one so maybe try half tsp at first? You can always add it once it is made.

I've made this two weeks in a row now, and am officially in love with the recipe! Having used both Total 0% and 2%, I am convinced that the 2% gives a nicer, creamier result. The 0% is still pretty delicious though!

Definitely worth the effort. :)

omg i made this last night with onken 0% natural yogurt. had to add low sodium salt but seems ik. also added one clove of garlic and chilli flakes. its way too strong so ill refine the flavours next time. i used an old pair of clean tights lol did the trick! amazing recipe and theres something so rustic and homely making your own cheese! might make the.full fat version for my non dieting friends!

takeawayqueen said:
omg i made this last night with onken 0% natural yogurt. had to add low sodium salt but seems ik. also added one clove of garlic and chilli flakes. its way too strong so ill refine the flavours next time. i used an old pair of clean tights lol did the trick! amazing recipe and theres something so rustic and homely making your own cheese! might make the.full fat version for my non dieting friends!

sorry to be bearer of bad news - but my consultant announced last night that none of the onken yoghurts are free now.

sometimes i really dont get their logic! fat free is fat free...anyhoo i dont mind too much i only bought the onken because the shop didnt have any other brand if natural yogs... wudnt usually get that one. thanks for the update tho its handy.to.know :)

Slimbysummer said:
sorry to be bearer of bad news - but my consultant announced last night that none of the onken yoghurts are free now.

The natural fat free one is free - its flavoured yogurts you need to be careful with as they have sugar in them.

Back