Alpaca's stream of consciousness - IS BACK ON THE WAGON!

Do it Di!!!!! And for goodness sake your 'What the hell' was completely on plan, not exactly chocolate, cakes, crisps etc!!!! So STOP beating yourself up :)

Hear endeth the lecture....!!!

xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Hello Di, you look so beautiful in that pic.

Everyone has to stop with the compliments... I'm feeling really uncomfortable ... Sorry have always been squirmy about them. Xx sorry sounds really horrible and I don't mean to be horrible cos you're all really lovely! Xx

Have a dicky tum this morning so just going to have a normal Atkins day. Another increase overnight - I think i have another gain of 2lbs - caused by my piggery and sf jelly and mama lupe tortillas and OD of cream... All legal but bad bad bad! Feel ok though cos there is a reason. I just hate gains when no reason! Lol

Alpaca said:
Everyone has to stop with the compliments... I'm feeling really uncomfortable ... Sorry have always been squirmy about them. Xx sorry sounds really horrible and I don't mean to be horrible cos you're all really lovely! Xx

Have a dicky tum this morning so just going to have a normal Atkins day. Another increase overnight - I think i have another gain of 2lbs - caused by my piggery and sf jelly and mama lupe tortillas and OD of cream... All legal but bad bad bad! Feel ok though cos there is a reason. I just hate gains when no reason! Lol

Oh dear Di. I hope your tum gets better soon. I feel for you as you've been doing so well and you've come so far. Fingers crossed it will sort itself out soon for you.

I'm rubbish with comps to but in your case they were totally deserved. You are one hellova gorgeous lady. But we don't even need pictures to know that ;)

You're really kind! And I'm going to do the 2 week break...

If I up carbs to 100 do I decrease fat?

I'm really nervous as I don't want to go crazy!!

Will keep cals to 1300 if poss and have things like strawberries and maybe crisp bread and wider range of veg ... Carrots, onions, squash maybe...

Would be happy nibbling on a carrot for a change! Lol

Fancy a small portion of lentils too...

Oh goodness!!! I'm salivating at the possibilities!! Lol

Okay, glad you're going to go for it - I think this could be exactly what you need.

Getting the fat/protein/carb ratio to where you want it takes a little bit of juggling - as carbs go up, both fat and protein will come down anyway, so all I did was increase protein a bit too and that leaves fat as the only one to be reduced. I wasn't really eating any less fat, I was just adding to the carbs and protein which reduces the % of fat relative to the others. My ratio worked out as 55% fat/25% protein/20% carbs, though to be honest, I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you're getting the right carbs and calories.

1300 calories is too low, by the way. I know it's scary, but you need to aim for your maintenance calories, in your case probably between 1800-1900. If you're still eating at a calorie deficit (and 1300 would be a deficit for you) your body won't reset the hormones because it'll think the "famine" is still going on. You need to eat to make this work.

As for you going crazy, hardly! If you choose to stay away from sugar you might even find it quite hard to get to 100g carbs: 100g cooked lentils, for example, is only about 18g carbs, 200g strawberries is only about 12g carbs which would still leave 70g of carbs for you to find from somewhere (10 slices of Ryvita original would do it, lol).

And if you're not afraid of sugar, I was surprised to see that a Sainsbury's own brand dark choc ice only has 13.6g carbs, a slice of their chocolate cheesecake has less than 30g carbs, and an individual tiramisu has 32g, so you could treat yourself to stuff like that if you wanted to and still know that you had about 70g carbs to use on your "good" stuff like carby veg. And of course, there's booze: 100ml of medium white wine has a mere 3.4g carbs, so you could get properly sloshed with no guilt at all :p:D

I'd have a browse on the supermarket websites and see what you can have - I know that both Tesco and Sainsbury give nutrition info on their sites, and you don't have to register with either of them to access it.

Hope you're feeling better now, btw xx

Oooh Scrummie - cheesecake, alcohol - am loving your advice :D

Di - hope your tum setles down soon, hun. Sorry for the comps but I think you need to prepare yourself for more :D xxxxx

This is the most gorgeous place in the whole wide world!! Love you all!

OK... observations...

I didn't realise how sweet skimmed milk would taste after only having unsweetened soya for a year.

I didn't realise how hard it is to get 100g carbs down my neck ...

My cals today = 1574
My carbs today = 78g

Strangely, I didn't feel too hungry and thoroughly enjoyed my bowl of strawbs, grapes and pear - garnished with half a passion fruit and some red currants... yum and wow!

I even had a glass of cava brut!! lol

I'll try and keep the ratios to Scrummie's post. I got confused today a bit! lol xx

That looks like an excellent start, Di! Fruit salad....I am jealous!:D

I was a bit tentative for the first day or so of my diet break, but you soon get into it - and yes, it's amazing how sweet things taste that you never thought of as sweet before. Just shows how much Atkins changes you over time if you stick with it.

Keep it up! (and hide those flipping scales!;)) xx

I'm joined at the hip with those scales! Lok

Will defo have more fruit salads this week... Must include raspberries and a bit of banana ... And more grapes ... Yum! Will look at nuts as I used to love them and seeds

Annoyed with myself this morning. Was planning on popping into Marks on the way into the office (at 6.30) and they don't open til 7!... so I had to buy something completely unplanned to have with my Costa skimmed milk latte (I really wanted Starbucks but was so confused when I couldn't get into Marks that I just went into the nearest coffee place! I bought a bag of Tyrrell vegetable crisps! What a plonker. But I will learn my lesson. However, with skinny latte and veg crisps, I do feel fuller than if I was to have an Atkins shake ...

Sorry to write about non-Atkins foods... but today, I'm planning on having a beetroot salad for lunch as beetroot is one of the veg I've missed over the last year and will definitely have a bowl of mixed red fruit with maybe a quarter of a banana! yum yum.

My head is taking a while to get into this new way of eating. I've been low carbing religiously for over a year and finding the shift in brain difficult - mainly due to having an old wrinkled brain not dissimilar to the body carrying around said brain.

I'm wearing a dress today which I bought about 4 months ago - only cos I was with friends who insisted I buy it - from Marks. One of those wrap-around dress ... and it's been in the wardrobe unworn ever since. So I'm giving it a whirl today - along with another pair of flesh coloured tights!! Good heavens! I must look like someone escaped from a looney bin as I'm so self conscious that my eyes are darting around, mouth dry, and my hair is standing up on end!

I'm trying to settle into a pattern of 20% carbs, with calories of 1300 ... I think with the foods I want to graze on over these 2 weeks - carrots, cherry tomatoes and punnets of fruit it might be do-able to have 1300... or, should I keep cals up to 1500?

Hope you all have a lovely day... xxx

Last edited:
Morning Di - well if you are on a diet break - and you are! - then a skinny latte and some veg crisps sounds perfectly sensible. So no, not a plonker.

Enjoy your lunch!

Eat more! You're really only doing half the job if you're eating at a calorie deficit because your body still thinks there isn't enough food around, so it will "protect" you by keeping your metabolism suppressed. That's not what you want. You want it to think that there's plenty of good food coming its way so it can take the brakes off. And if you don't raise your calories, you won't be able to cut them back when you come off the break, and it's that zig-zag effect that's going to help shock your body into shifting some more weight.

If it's too big a mental shift to do all at once (cals and carbs), try adding a 100 more cals every couple of days until you're at 1800 (that should be enough).

Don't think that you can do this without putting a bit of weight back on - that's inevitable - but remember that most of what goes on will be water and will whoosh right off you when you go back on Atkins, shortly followed by more pounds of fat with any luck.

Enjoy that fruit! :D

I didn't realise 'eating on purpose' would be so stressful!! lol

I've been doing very well with my old mindset of 'eating for England' on low carb foods... and have easily got to 1800 over the past few months, but this feels completely different. My appetite has shrunk at the thought!! God, isn't the mind a peculiar thing! lol

I hear what you're saying though Scrummie and will 'pig out' for these 2 weeks... but, keep the carbs at 20%! lol xx

Oh, it will feel hard. It did for me at first. And the curious thing is, I find, that once I give myself permission to have anything, I suddenly become a lot more discriminating.

I had a break during Xmas and New Year so that I could enjoy all my usual seasonal foods, and every single day, when presented with some goodie or another, I'd find myself thinking "Do I really want this? Is this good enough to be breaking my diet for?" and more often than not, the answer was "no!" so I didn't have it. Weird, huh? I guess the "naughtiness" is half the appeal of junk foods, and if you take away the naughtiness factor by giving yourself permission to have it, suddenly you start to question whether you even want it in the first place. At least, that seems to be how it works for me, but maybe I'm just odd, lol :p

Afternoon Di, my mind never works like yours, if I am allowed something I will have it, and then something else lol - my off switch is definitely missing!! Enjoy your beetroot and red fruit xxx

I'm wearing a dress today which I bought about 4 months ago - only cos I was with friends who insisted I buy it - from Marks. One of those wrap-around dress ... and it's been in the wardrobe unworn ever since. So I'm giving it a whirl today - along with another pair of flesh coloured tights!! Good heavens! I must look like someone escaped from a looney bin as I'm so self conscious that my eyes are darting around, mouth dry, and my hair is standing up on end!

LOL idiot (she says fondly) - you are so self deprecating! Bet you look gorgeous :D

Afternoon... just jumping on before I go out to dinner!

L was smoked salmon, 7 cocktails sausages, 5 cherry tomatoes, 100g raspberries, 15ml double cream, 25g of goats cheese

S was a Caffe Nero skinny Frap... which I wish I hadn't had cos its SO calorific and carby!! much worse than Starbucks!! But I had to have a difficult conversation with one of the employees so thought it best to go out for it.

No idea what I'll have for dinner while I'm out, but I've printed off the Atkins foods nutrition guide which is brill!! So, will consult that as I'm completely confused at the moment! lol

Did fancy beetroot salad but couldn't find any in Marks.

Back