Am I stronng enough?

loobilou

Hi guys n gals,
I'm a newbie to this site which i came across purely by chance.
I started the dreaded diet (hopefully for the last time) on the 3-1-12, weighing-in at 141.3kgs ;o(. Weigh-in is on a Tuesday morning!! :-/
I appear to be in the same place I was last January and now it feels like ive wasted yet another year of my life.I'm not attending any slimming club but a work friend has lent me her slimming world book to try out.. I have been watching the re-run of claire from steps weight loss show and how she struggles.... and at the end of the last one she said it had finally dawned on her that there is only herself standing in her way..
I'm now sat here wondering if I'm strong enough to get through the biggest challenge of my life and lose the weight once and forall :wave_cry:

Lou.x

Hi!
I'm also new to the site, which seems great for recipes and ideas and general encouragement! It is difficult, I've been trying to lose weight for years ! I started doing it, lost 3 stone ready to be a bridesmaid in nov 2010... And I've put nearly 5 back on since then and so annoyed with myself for it :-( so I started slimming world (for 3rd time!) on fri (6th) so fingers crossed!! Good luck to you x

Hi hun, I've personally never done Slimming World, but my mum did a few years ago and lost around 5 stone, so it does work but, like anything else, takes effort to get results.

I think Claire from Steps is right, ultimately we are the only thing standing in our way, but I think everyone has issues about why they overeat in the first place. If you don't mind me asking, is comfort eating the problem for you? Can you pin point what makes things go wrong for you?

Please don't feel like you've wasted a year, instead try to think that it's taken you the last year to get ready to make changes. You can do this! Other people have, the success stories on here show that it's possible, and if other people can do this then so can you x

hi loobilou,

I started my weight loss journey at 22 1/2 stone (143.2kg) and in the beginning I thought it was so daunting that I'd never get there.

I joined up slimming world, only because i knew that i couldn't do it on my own, i don't have the will power or the confidence in myself to do so.

I started in April of last year and, nearly 9 months later, I am close to my 7 stone award. I honestly never, ever thought I would be at this point now. I thought I was destined to be stuck in the house, alone, unhappy, useless, forever. But I am a completely different person- I have a job, I had a second job over xmas, I go out with friends and I'm making new ones.

The SW plan does work, definitely. For me, the groups were needed, but I know people who have lost a lot just following the plan.

Best thing I can advise is this- ***keep. it. simple***. Don't look at the whole picture. focus on losing half a stone at a time. Be kind to yourself. We all have slip ups (i've had one of them tonight!) The best thing to do, rather than go "eff it" and eat what you want, draw a line under it and say "I am starting today again, from scratch". You're human, you're gonna mess up, that's ok, we all do it don't we? You won't have failed, the only time you fail is when you give up completely.

People ask me if I regret waiting this long to lose the weight. My honest answer? No- not at all. I was meant to start my journey when I did. I was at the point where mentally, physically and emotionally I was so desperate that I would have gone to any lengths to be healthy. The first and only time i was like that was on 19th April 2011 when I walked through the doors of that SW group. I was ready, determined and open to any help given to me.

Don't think of the last year being a waste- just think of it as it not being your time. until now :)

Sorry- i love to drone, especially when i'm tired.

I hope you get something from this. There is light at the end of the tunnel! You can do this- keep strong, and ask for help when you need it- this site is great for that. We're all here to support each other :)

*hugs*

;0)
Wow... Im stunned at the support and encouragement given. Thank you all sooo much :0)
just hearing from people in similar situations does put that lil voice of here we go again quiet !
Im not sure what my triggers are, i did tend to pig out in the evening and worse when im on my own. But i tend to reach for the chocci when im upset.. But i gotta say ive not done that for a whole week :0)
Does joining the club amd going to the weekly meetings help that much?
If so maybe i need to bite the bullet and walk in :-/
Thanks for the replies
Lou.x

Huge well done on resisting chocolate for a week, thats quite an achievement :D

A lot of people benefit from the weekly club meetings due to the motivation you get from it and the face-to-face support.

Biting the bullet and getting yourself to a meeting could really get things moving for you. I know it will be daunting, but that will just make your losses all the more sweeter :woohoo:

Hi Loobilou

I started out Weightwatchers at same weight as yourself and I know that I wouldn't have stuck to my 'diet' without the classes. I went and sat outside a few times before I got the nerve to go in, but I am really pleased I did.

I have made a couple of friends which is good for support during the week and the meetings are great for getting ideas and keeping me on track. I always worried that I would be too big for the scales but there is a real mixed bag of people and we are all in the same boat.

When motivation is getting a bit low or I feel like a can't be bothered I also re-read some of the success stories on here and it keeps reminding me that it can be done and I will do it too.

Good luck with the weight loss x

We are all different and some people will need the classes to keep them on track others wont, I'm not going to any as it's not my kind of thing not that I have anything againts them I just knew this was my time to lose weight and nothing is going to get in my way. My personal thinking is if you want it enough you will lose the weight.

Wish you all the best and hope you have good luck on your journey.

Hey Im also a neebie here to this site, but started my weight loss journey in october at roughly the same weight as you. Really struggled at christmas and getting back into the swing of things in the new year. All totally in my head though!
Looks like there is lots of support on here, though. i've been doing it on my own, as cannot get a to a club at night (my hubbie works backshift & noone to look after the kids) Noone I know has had to loose a substantial amount of weight before. I am the 'big' one in our house!

Good luck to you with your losses x

Thanks guys n gals... Ur all awesome :0)
First week down... Lost 5.5lbs. Woohoo
So chuffed, was feeling a lil low today for what reason i do not know , but logging on and seeing all your words of encouragement really put a smile on my face. I can do this with a lil support from my slim buds, thanks xxxx
Lou.x

Well done! x

Well done - keep up the good work!

Back