Am I the only one planning doesn't work for?

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
I've read in so many posts that planning is the key to success on any eating plan but for some reason it all seems to go wrong for me when I plan. I think I hate restrictions, it's the gemini in me lol! Everytime I plan out a week's meals I immediately feel constricted and burdened by this plan that I *have* to follow. And when I don't follow it to the letter I agonise over the fact that I've messed up! So many times I've tried to plan plan plan but it never works out so I've decided to pack it all in, planning that is :D

I prefer to decide from day to day what I'm in the mood for and take it from there. I usually plan dinner in the morning and buy the ingredients I need on my lunch break or text my husband with a list of ingredients I need (he works mostly from home). Then lunch is either made up of leftovers from dinner the night before or from salady things I have in the house. I also make a batch of soup on a Sunday and freeze so I always have something on hand if I'm stuck for choices.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that as long as I have tons of SW friendly ingredients at home I'm happy, on track and relaxed. With a timetable I feel a bit like it's all too regimented and diety, makes me think of those crazy American diet shows. Am I alone in this? I'd love to hear how you make planning meals say a week in advance work for you. Thank ya :party0011:

I know what you're saying - what we tend to do is plan the meals for the week but just have what we fancy each night. So it's sort of semi-planned but we still have the freedom to choose what we want every night.

Well you have to do what works for you!! Sure, we are all unique.

Personally I couldn't manage without planning cuz I am a total control freak lol. I love to plan my weeks meals for me, hubby and two kiddies. Then I write my shopping list from that, only buy what I need - meaning I spend less, and don't buy things I shouldn't! Also saves waste, since I only buy what I need.

I think on sw planning isn't as important, on ww its totally necessary since you have to make sure you don't go over your points.

You are doing fab, so just keep doing what works for you!

I don't really plan as such, I have a list of meals that a fancy making each week, but just so I can get the meat out of the freezer the night before :)

Mine is usually night before planned xx

Oh I love this idea!!! So you just make a list of about 7 dinner choices and decide what you want on the day?

I don't plan my meals ahead. I always have a variety of veggies in & I use a lot of quorn stuff so that's always in the freezer. In the morning if I fancy something in particular I'll prepare it otherwise just leave it to OH to decide what we have for tea. For lunch I always make it in the morning & again it's what I fancy then.

I can see how planning works but for me how do I know what I'm going to want for tea for the rest of the week:cool:

Planning is an individual thing - I do plan because I have such a busy time at work it makes things so much easier - but I don't always stick to it. The way I see it planning is a tool that helps me most of the time but just because I decide not to follow it all the time the world won't come to an end!:)

If you've got a way that works for you then that's great - I wouldn't worry about planning if it doesn't suit you.

I'm absolutely useless at planning! We usually find 2 or 3 recipes and buy the ingredients and a few extra veggies (we've got quorn etc in the freezer) but 9 times out of 10 we haven't got everything we need! :sigh: It's just never going to happen for us - it means extra trips to the local shops but we get by!

Honey, I think you are 'planned' by what you say! You have all the right ingredients available (or can get them on the day), you decide in the morning what you are having for dinner then use the leftovers for lunch next day, and you have soup ready made and prepared ahead. Go girl!! :happy096:

That for me is how I plan - I'm (usually) prepared and have what I need in the house. I decide in the morning what is for tea - the nearest thing I get to advance planning is thinking red or green the day before! I suppose the only time I plan in that rigid written way in advance is when an occasion or meal out is looming and I want to stay in control.

Other than that, for me, its writing it down after the even to keep a track of it. :character00148::coffee:

xx :)

Thanks Allie, I'll check out your food diary. And thanks a lot guys! I'm not sure why I feel compelled to stick to a menu once I've made it. It's weird... I do love the idea of a list of meal ideas as inspiration, especially as you come across nice recipes in magazines, on TV etc. Love that!

Cupcake I guess there is some order in my disordered "planning" technique!! :D

Oh I love this idea!!! So you just make a list of about 7 dinner choices and decide what you want on the day?

i do that most of the time too hun but i make sure i have 9 dinner lunch brekkie choices incase i dont fancy any of the 7 lol

I don't like planning everything, I know what foods I have in and then decide meal to meal what I want to eat.
I find it too restrictive to plan even 1 day ahead let alone a week ahead, it would drive me mad.

I do plan but I'm not prescriptive about it. I don't say "It's Monday so it's this for breakfast/lunch/dinner". I plan meals every week but have 8 options and then choose whichever one I want on the day itself. By planning for 8 meals I don't get to the end of the week and get stuck with the last thing on my list. There is always choice!

Ive tried to 'plan' before but just doesnt work for me... I physically can't eat something i don't really want to eat so i make diet work around what i Like obviously making a few changes... but more or less what i fancy to eat that moment!!

Some days I cant eat superfre foods as that time of week when just b4 get paid and food shoppingf i did beggining of week going down... so planning just is no hope with me... I dont thnk i'd ever 'plan' again

I plan the day before or on the morning because of shifts.I buy my food for the week and choose from that.If I don't then something will happen and I end up having the wrong things.

hey Honey - I am a Capricorn, so my whole life is one big plan (i secretly think that is why SW is working for me - all or nothing kinda girl!) and usually i plan a little ahead, but this week ive done a whole 7 day plan (its actually brought my shopping bill online down by about £10!!! haha)

I am on day 3 and its already changing!!! :D but, its more a plan, than a 'must have' list.....!

Well done on your adhoc planning it sounds great - wish i wasnt such a planner sometimes :) xxx

much love x

I don't really plan as such, I have a list of meals that a fancy making each week, but just so I can get the meat out of the freezer the night before :)

Mine is usually night before planned xx

I am like this allie - I have an "idea" of the types of meals for the week, but go with the flow & depends on weather too!

I always make sure I buy a couple of trays of extra lean mince - never having an idea what we'll have, could be meat balls, chilli, lasagne..... the idea's are there its just the final dish thats decided each day!!

The first couple of weeks, it was planning that really helped me, but then I was learning what I could/couldn't have each day. Once your head is around the plan then it is less restrictive IMO :)

hey Honey - I am a Capricorn, so my whole life is one big plan (i secretly think that is why SW is working for me - all or nothing kinda girl!) and usually i plan a little ahead, but this week ive done a whole 7 day plan (its actually brought my shopping bill online down by about £10!!! haha)

I am on day 3 and its already changing!!! :D but, its more a plan, than a 'must have' list.....!

Well done on your adhoc planning it sounds great - wish i wasnt such a planner sometimes :) xxx

much love x

My mum's a Capricorn too and she is a heck of a planner!! She's so incredibly organised, I really wish I was like her. I'm so NOT a planner! Everytime I plan things out it just never works out. I planned to marry my ex boyfriend and ended up marrying an Aussie I met in Covent Garden market! :D :D :D

sometimes being a planner has its downsides...for example, my friends mostly ask me to plan where and when we are going out - and sometimes i stress it will end in a disaster - i think ive been lucky up to now! haha!

Planning is a Capricorn thing....any other goats out there like me? xx

Planning to me is when I go shopping, I just make sure that I buy plenty of slimming world friendly ingredients so that I can make whatever I fancy, I usually decide the evening before what to have the next day. If I dont plan my shopping then everything goes to pot!

I plan my meals because I'm a bit obsessed lol but like your the "gemini" in me screams no! lol
What I do now is plan my week so I can shop accordingly but keep it fluid to what I fancy. I always have a full SW friendly fridge / cupboard and freezer so can adapt plan easily and still feel in control.
I keep a list of fav foods, quick meals and new things to try on my fridge :D Never an excuse to get bored
xx

Back