Am i wrong to lie

Gemma

Gold Member
Friday night i got ganged up on big time, telling me how unhealthy my diet is and have i never heard of WW (if i hear anyone breath the words weight watchers to me again i will not be held countable for my actions)

I also got a lecture about don't i know the benefits of chicken and white veg and that would be a really good way to eat. Tryed to explain that i followed low cal before we went on holiday and i made myself very ill coz i got carried away.

So I got on the defensive and told them poiltely that until i think this diet has a negative effect on me i will be carrying on the way i am.

Yesterday I got questioned again and was so not in the mood for more opinions that i lied and said i am eating in the evenings stuff like chicken salad.

Do u think it is ok to carry on saying this or should i just say the truth and put up with the criticisms

I have had a few people telling me to be careful on it etc but I still carry on like you until I find a realy reason that it is causing me bad health. One friend who is a nurse did comment that it probably is healthier than most of the things we would eat as it has all the nutrients we need other than the full daily allowance of calories.
If they aren't going to know any different I would carry on telling them you are having a small meal in the evening especially if it stops them ganging up on you as that won't help you acheive you goal.

It has to be whatever makes you comfortable. I know when I originally did CD the only people that knew about it were my husband, my kids and my Mother! :eek: Obviously being a counsellor now more people know about it, and even now I have to face the 'but isn't it dangerous what you're selling' from some people.

There is no harm in lying. I have given up trying to explain to people about the diet as I all I get is...that can't be good for you...you're starving yourself. I think this is down to their lack of knowledge and maybe if they spent time finding out about the diet, or believe what we say, then they would know how fantastic this diet is, and does things only ww's can dream off.

Cheers for the replies guys will just carry on telling them that i am having an evening meal, wish people would just be happy for you that your taking positive action

I think it's up to you if you want to lie or not. The main thing is that you know what you are doing is perfectly healthy and safe, or else they wouldn't be allowed to sell CD.

If it's any help to you during your next argument, I work in a GP surgery and the Doctors and nurses there know I'm doing CD. Not one of them has lectured me or told me it's dangerous to do it. All they've done is told me well done for losing weight so far.

Totally go with what you feel comfortable with. I am very lucky because most of the people around me are aware of what I am doing and incredibly supportive though some did take some convincing that CD is safe. However there are always people who will disapprove even if you explain till you are blue in the face how safe and healthy you are being. These people will never change their mind and if it makes your journey harder they are worth spending energy on (unless you fancy burning a few extra calories in a really good heated debate?!?).

Just don't even enter into a conversation with anyone who can't at least listen with an open mind!

Ok rant over now!

yep one of my frinds said best way is to count caleris,,,if i could do that i would not need to diet,she says its not good for u as does everyone who knows im on it,but hey i just say "well if i get ill on it ill stop"shuts them up ..

Like DQ, I really restricted who I told, but there came a time when people wanted to know what I was doing.

I became an expert at changing the subject, though sometimes even that didn't work. I ended up telling people that I was on a great plan that gave me everything I needed....then changed the subject, or I used humour.

Them: So what are you eating?
Me: Nothing. I don't eat
Them: But you've got to eat something
Me: Nah boring
Them: But you'll make yourself ill
Me: Hang on...didn't you say I was looking really well?:confused:
Them: So come on what do you eat?
Me: Nothing.
Them: But you've got to eat something.
Me: True. Ahhh, one day I will eat again:clap: Weather is fantastic today isn't it :D

I had some stick off some of the folks I work with - it's hard making up excuses why I can't go out for meals with reps etc.

Basically, the way I explained it was, with any other low cal diet I would be restricting certain food groups, and therefore not getting the nutrients I need. At least I know my diet is now 100% in RDAs for vitamins & minerals. My boss (a vet) also said I should just go cycling, and that basically, as I am 'starving' myself I will be losing lean muscle mass. WRONG!!!! Firstly ketones in my urine = fat melting away, and secondly the shakes are relatively high protein, so preserving my muscle mass. I am essentially training my metabolism to be more efficient.

He shut up after that!!

These people who jugde others , they need to look at their own lifes , really i have that with family . Just pick on them and say should you be eating that , but thats not good for you , they will soon learn what its like

Gdoll, I lied all the way through as I saw how other people who had used VLCDS got treated/spoken about. Everyone thinks they are an expert and have a right to criticise so I just didn't tell anyone anything...made for a much easier life!

Only my immediate family new I was on SS but once the weight loss was noticable and people wanted to know how I was losing, I just told them I was on a low carb diet. If they started asking too many questions I just changed the subject (I got really good at that :))

Thats exactly why I'm hardly telling anyone except family etc, ask them when the last time they lost 8lbs in one week was on WW, don't worry about what anyone thinks, stay positive and if possible stay away from people you know are going to be negative about it hun till you know it won't affect you. Keep your spirits up and keep going, you'll soon show them when your looking fabulous!

Like DQ, I really restricted who I told, but there came a time when people wanted to know what I was doing.

I became an expert at changing the subject, though sometimes even that didn't work. I ended up telling people that I was on a great plan that gave me everything I needed....then changed the subject, or I used humour.

Them: So what are you eating?
Me: Nothing. I don't eat
Them: But you've got to eat something
Me: Nah boring
Them: But you'll make yourself ill
Me: Hang on...didn't you say I was looking really well?:confused:
Them: So come on what do you eat?
Me: Nothing.
Them: But you've got to eat something.
Me: True. Ahhh, one day I will eat again:clap: Weather is fantastic today isn't it :D

Fabulous!! I love it!!

I always find this kind of response to VLCDs quite amusing. In the last twenty-five years or so, there's been this idea (dare I even say, propaganda?) that the only way to lose weight is to eat less fat, eat lots of carbs (to fill you up, LOL). But in the last twenty-five years or so there's been an unprecedented rise in obesity. Hmm...

Something doesn't quite add up, does it? If dieting were really that easy, why aren't we all thin?

There are dozens of reasons why we're becoming fatter than ever (sedentary lifestyles, convenience food/fast food etc., etc.). But no one ever seems to query the 'wisdom' of the conventional low fat diet.

I quite happily lost weight on a low carb diet for a while. I fell off the wagon because I'm addicted to carbs. I think it's my drug of choice... :)On the low carb forum I used to frequent, it was often mooted that there was something of a conspiracy to keep us eating high carbohydrate foods and high sugar content foods. Because if you aren't eating those, all you'd be eating is meat, poultry, fish and vegetables. Now how on earth would Tesco make a profit if that's all they sold?

Just a thought to throw into the mix... :)

Personally I fibbed and fibbed at first. It's only now, 3 stone in, that I will tell people, when they ask, about how I lost weight. I can tell people now cos I look slimmer and perfectly healthy so any arguement they would like to have is automatically confounded. That said, if I think a person is likely to witter nonsense about the diet I am still prepared to skirt around the truth. I am a coward and possibly morally bankrupt, but I simply can't be ar*ed to counter people's fatuous and ill-concieved opinions.
Ooh, that was a bit of a rant, wasn't it? Anyway, the point is, no, I don't think you are wrong.
Kate

I never told anyone except my OH and young kids - I had to tell them, since I live with them! Fortunately for me, I embarked on Cambridge straight off the back of low-carbing, so if I had to eat, it was simple enough to let people believe I was still low-carbing.

Funnily enough, even though i've been a cdc for over two years now, still none of my family don't seem to have cottoned on that I may have used cd to lose my weight! :p

Jo x

Back