Green Day Amazing Spiced lentils

*angie*

loves food and cooking
Had to share the recipe for my tea tonight - spiced lentils - I served it with some slow roasted pork, but they are delicious on their own, or with chicken or fish, or even cold as a salad with a poached egg!

Amazing Spiced Lentils

serves 2 with leftovers, free on green and easy:

large red onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
small chilli deseeded and chopped
175g puy or green lentils
pinch turmeric
small cinnamon stick
star anise
4 green cardomom pods, crushed, husks discarded
700ml stock
2 chopped tomatoes
handful chopped parsley or coriander

gently 'fry off' the onion, garlic and chilli in frylight for about 10 mins til soft. add the turmeric, cinnamon, star anise and cardomom - stir and cook for 2 mins.

add the lentils and the stock, bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 15-20 mins until the lentils are just cooked.

add salt (tempers the chilli), maybe a little pepper, stir in the tomatoes and herbs, cook for just a minute or so, serve :)

*angie*

This lentil dish is quite wet - not like a dal at all as the lentils don't mush down, rather they retain a bite in the fragrant broth - It would be best with a drier chicken curry (like tandoori chicken) rather than a curry with a sauce IYKWIM.

My slow roast hand of pork is dead easy - I take it off the bone, put a dozen bay leaves and a dozen peppercorns in a dish that is a little bigger than the pork. Pour in 150ml cider vinegar and 100ml water. Cook at 150deg for 2 1/2 to 3 hours. add a splash of water if it looks to dry out.

At the end, you can cut off all the fat, turn the heat up in the oven as high as it will go and return just the fat in a clean dish - makes crackling for those that want it :) - cover the meat with foil to keep it warm.

I'll definitely try the lentils. I like the Tesco lentilles vert, look just like Puy lentils but a fraction of the price.

I'll definitely try the lentils. I like the Tesco lentilles vert, look just like Puy lentils but a fraction of the price.

Oooh..just bought some for another recipe (warm beetroot, goat's cheese and lentil salad) so it's good to know I saved some money!

Back