and back to normality :)

well yesterday was good. oh came with me and cycled along side and we covered 9 miles in the hissing rain and wind in 90 minutes so i am feeling very pleased with myself. went to a pub afterwards and ate a good bowl of pasta and some salad and that was the best meal ever lol wow i was hungry. id intended to take along one of those meal replacement sachets you get for running but i forgot it and from 7 miles, i was starving but i did it anyway, i didnt stop and well im so pleased!! i had a new running watch too id got from amazon and i tried that out and im really pleased with it, def worth getting one :)

foodwise -
b - museli and soya milk and soya yogurt
l - bowl of spicy pasta and salad
d - cold baked chicken with toasted bagel, ff mayo and mustard, tiny salad. pretzels.
snacks - 4 little cookies

wow 9miles in 90mins fabulous chick! :)

What watch is it you got? x

its an ironman womens 30 lap idiiglo flix system ..very lightweight and it certainly helps to see how fast or slow your going..ive been doing it with no idea really only looking at the time before i set off and then looking again when i get home (after cooling down, stretching etc so thats added minutes on lol). i thought id see how it was in the rubbish weather cause with the gsr coming up in 3 weeks, if it was rainy then and id not been out in it like that, what would i do? panic knowing me! it was ok and you soon warm up lol

i see youve caught a cold or something ?..sorry to hear that..i hope you feel much better soon xxxxx

h x

Oooh sounds good I might have to invest although I know I'm running roughly 12minute miles :(

Yep I've caught the lurgie!!!! Lol it's bloody horrible! Xx

well diet has gone for a burton...what with the girls birthdays, huge family meal out yesterday, birthday cake etc ..well a few more pounds have gone on and im only just getting my size 10 jeans on comfortably so i know ive got to nip it in the bud asap!!!!!

tomorrow ive got to go shopping after work and stock up on salad stuff, bagels etc as ive completely run out, lots of chicken etc to fill me up and fruit, masses of fruit and soya yogurt then i know ill feel better about it all and cope better..when theres nothing much in the house i resort back to my old ways and thats NOT GONNA HELP ME ANY is it! stupid cow ......

k ive got to lose 4lb to feel at least a bit better by the 24 oct so as of tomorrow im back in the saddle..ive got a 10 miler to do wed so itll be no good eating crappy foods from mon as it takes a good couple days to get it out of my system if ive eaten the wrong stuff and it makes me feel crappy otherwise....get a bloody grip girl!!!!! im even talking to myself now...i think i must be losing it

arghhhhhh

h x

HaHa - we all have to give ourselves a good talking to now and again!

I'm sure you'll sort it .. life happens .. in the grand scheme of things 4lbs ain't so bad ;) xx

HaHa - we all have to give ourselves a good talking to now and again!

I'm sure you'll sort it .. life happens .. in the grand scheme of things 4lbs ain't so bad ;) xx

i know its not a huge amount but you know yourself, it prays on your mind after a bit lol xx itll go im sure, just wish it was immediately!

so another day another run...im off out later when i get home for a short 2 miler as tomorrow got my long one, my first 10...this will be my test to see how fast i can do it and give me an indication of what to work for on the day ..so wish me luck!

food wise - b. fruit n fibre, berries and soya milk, l. coleslaw, cucumber, ham and few noddles, cookie and few carob nuts..dinner to be decided as im out with the young one later looking at possible 6th form places..so a late dinner me thinks

im wondering whether to calorie count my breakfast and lunch as i was doing before i went on holiday as it seems better for me, control wise but im not sure..?

h x

You know yourself what works best hon ... whatever you fel most comfortable with/works best for you. Personally I don't like counting anything as I get obsessive but lots of people do I know xx

If you feel calorie counting works for you go for it :)
I can't calorie count as i end up eating chocolate and crisps just because they are in my calorie allowance!!! lol

i ran 10 miles today, very pleased and very knackered! thats all i have to say about that lol

Flippin' 'eck! Well done you!!! xx

:wow: well done Harriet :D
How long did it take ya? xxx

:wow: well done Harriet :D
How long did it take ya? xxx

well not really sure how i did it but i shot my previous time out of the water at 10miles - 1.28 mins..which my mate at work said is about 8 1/2 mins per milei dont know if thats rightor not but it sounds good lol

its was very hard as running back along the front at bournemouth was against the wind for 5 miles and it was like running through treacle (you know with resistance) but i did it, somehow lol

glad i did though with a time like that! when i signed on to do this race back in dec we thought id do it in 2 1/2 hours..i never thought it would be an hour less! anyway, we shall see on the day and i dont really worry about it anyway, its the making money for charity which counts..which incidentally...if anyone feelslike helping out , the address is below!!! bit crafty but anything helps

h xxx

1hour 28mins! Thats flippin fab!!!!!!!!!!!!! And your friend is right, just over 8.5mins a mile! You are a star! :) How long did it take you to up your speed? At the minute im running 12minute miles :( I'm never guna make the half marathon in under 2hours at this rate! xx

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me joining in here but I used to run an awful lot when I was younger.....

Harriet you certainly don't need advice as you're doing brilliantly!

Tanya, I was doing about the same speed as you but managed to get to 10 minute miles by using something called Fartlek (I think, it was a long time ago!) interval training....basically you substitute some of your long runs at one pace for shorter ones using different speeds. I guess that it will be on the Internet somewhere. I was running 6 miles 5 times a week and a 9 miler on a Saturday when I did my first half marathon. Don't make the mistake I did though, a friend and I ran the entire course a week before the official race just to make sure that we could do it! Of course come race day we were still quite tired from the week before and I barely made it in under 2 hours which I was really disappointed with! I also remember losing 9lbs after one race! All water of course but hey it was weird jumping on the scales the next day and seeing that!

I'm sooooo envious of you guys running, I used to absolutely love it but ironically it's contributed to my need to have a new hip in a few weeks and I'm only just 50! My surgeon has told me never to run again even after the operation and to keep my weight at the lower end of an acceptable BMI.

Good luck and once again, apologies for butting in.....I love reading how you're maintaining, I guess the hard slog is never over is it? X

1hour 28mins! Thats flippin fab!!!!!!!!!!!!! And your friend is right, just over 8.5mins a mile! You are a star! :) How long did it take you to up your speed? At the minute im running 12minute miles :( I'm never guna make the half marathon in under 2hours at this rate! xx

my mate at work has been a godsend i have to say. i was running 2-3 long runs a week and a couple short ones but by the end of the week i was tired out and getting nowhere really. i think i was up to about 5 miles and we were discussing it one tea time here at work and he said if i were you id drop all your longer runs and do just the one and then bring in some shorter runs but with hills/speedwork etc. well i was a bit dubious i admit but it def has helped. its very hilly round here anyway so i purposely make sure i run them and it does get easier the 2nd, 3rd, 4th time :) i promise lol he also said to run between lamp posts at a faster speed then slow down, faster, slow, faster, slow for one of my runs..which i do but not in the past couple of weeks i have to say though i am running faster anyway it seems!

we were talking about my time yesterday and he said its because i'm fitter, you find it easier and you dont have to do anything, it just happens naturally (after the training every week i mean!).

you will get fitter, you will get faster and you will do it in under 2 hours..i promise..just stick at it. i mean ive only been running since middle of april and look at what im doing..i was one of those hate running, cant run, wont run..id rather do something else. now ive got the running bug i cant think of anything id rather do. it gets you out of the house away from any stresses, it gives you time to think if you want or to just switch off totally..thats what i like..just go blank ..im good at that lololol

anyway think ive rambled on enough

h xx

Hi guys, I hope you don't mind me joining in here but I used to run an awful lot when I was younger.....

Harriet you certainly don't need advice as you're doing brilliantly!

Tanya, I was doing about the same speed as you but managed to get to 10 minute miles by using something called Fartlek (I think, it was a long time ago!) interval training....basically you substitute some of your long runs at one pace for shorter ones using different speeds. I guess that it will be on the Internet somewhere. I was running 6 miles 5 times a week and a 9 miler on a Saturday when I did my first half marathon. Don't make the mistake I did though, a friend and I ran the entire course a week before the official race just to make sure that we could do it! Of course come race day we were still quite tired from the week before and I barely made it in under 2 hours which I was really disappointed with! I also remember losing 9lbs after one race! All water of course but hey it was weird jumping on the scales the next day and seeing that!

I'm sooooo envious of you guys running, I used to absolutely love it but ironically it's contributed to my need to have a new hip in a few weeks and I'm only just 50! My surgeon has told me never to run again even after the operation and to keep my weight at the lower end of an acceptable BMI.

Good luck and once again, apologies for butting in.....I love reading how you're maintaining, I guess the hard slog is never over is it? X

hi sandra its lovely to have you looking at my ramblings i hope i didnt send you to sleep :)

re your hip op thats one of the things , well that and knees, which i do worry about but i have to say that lately the knees have stopped hurting like they used to so thats something at least. im 42 (43 in dec) so i reckon im just going to have to keep an eye on things down there lol

my mate who i mentioned in my other post, unfortunately he has had both knees replaced (he was running for years and at very long distances every week) and my other friend here at work, he had one knee replaced through playing rugby...i dont know, they recommend you exercise and look what can happen as you get older! lovely...

i bet you miss your running ...i really feel for you x

h x

Harriet that sounds familiar to what I used to do. I think the idea is to build up your stamina and keep giving your body variety so it doesn't become complacent......you have definitely got the bug! Isn't it the most amazing feeling when you're running along without a care in the world and it doesn't even feel hard! Good for you!

Harriet that sounds familiar to what I used to do. I think the idea is to build up your stamina and keep giving your body variety so it doesn't become complacent......you have definitely got the bug! Isn't it the most amazing feeling when you're running along without a care in the world and it doesn't even feel hard! Good for you!

totally agree with you. i get surprised every time ive done a long run that im not even out of breath, just tired lol can i ask you something then as your much more experienced than me...what do you do about eating on the run..ive tried those gel things, they are disgusting, apricots and i nearly choked to death..what do you do to get that extra energy? i find about 7 miles in and i start to flag... any advice would be great

h xx

Back