Announcement- slow cooked whole chicken born today at 1.30pm!!

funcurls

Never gets tired of SW!
Hi all, I'd like to announce that I've been slow-cooking a whole chicken since 8am and just checked it and it's beautifully done- meat falling off the bone- gorgeous!! I only bought the slow cooker about a month ago and have done a few lovely casseroles in it. A few people have recommended doing a whole chicken in it so I thought I'd give it a go! As suggested, I scrunched up some pieces of foil to put at the bottom (to keep the chicken off the juices), stuffed half a lemon inside, popped some S&P and herbs on top and pressed play!! I'm really impressed and will definitely do this regularly!! It's meant to be for tea but I've already devoured a whole leg and a bit of a breast!! I urge everyone with a slow cooker who hasn't tried it to do so, and everyone without a slow cooker to buy one!!X

I love love love my slow cooker! hehe And I am going to do this some time next week! Maybe thurs I shall have a nice roast! hehe Did u do yours on high then?

x

Yes I did it on high just to try it, and it's lovely, but I'm sure it would be great on low too, which I'll do in future while I'm in work! I'll probably try it one day when I'm in the house so I know it won't overcook!x

Thanks for that. I have slow cooker that I haven't used in a while. I have read a few times that people have done whole chickens in them and whole joints of meat.
I will definatley try in myself now, it sounds lovely and as the meat is falling off, I most likely would use the whole thing more - if I roast if I tend to waste some of the meat from underneath as its a bit messy to get off.
Thanks again.

Yes, you don't have to put any stock/liquid in with it- scrunched up bits of foil for the bottom to rest the chicken on- keeps it away from the juices- and away to go- a lot of liquid has come out of the chicken (as it does when you roast!) The skin browns too- it's just not crispy (much to my dh's disgust- I told him if he want's crispy skin he's welcome to fry it!!) But of course we don't want to be eating that anyway do we!!! LOL!X

i always cook my ham in the slow cooker.never done it any other way.
i just put the ham in and put in enough water to just cover the meat,and leave it on overnight to cook.
wake up to a gorgeous smell mmmmm............

Defo do Sarah!! I know I'm going to use mine a lot, even throughout the summer! You can get cheap ones too! Asda do one for a tenner, but it's round and it's best to get an oval one if planning to do whole chickens! Here's one I found on Tesco Direct!
http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.100-2168.aspx

I've got a Breville 5.5l oval one from Argos- it was about £25.X

oh and i can vouch for the chicken too.it's so simple and doesn't dry out at all.delish xxxxxxxxx

Ooh sorry Melissa, I've never done a ham, but there ya go, Tafflass has just said it all!!X

I do ham joints in mine. A smallish one (the ones that are about a fiver) take about 3 1/2 hours on high. I just stick it in - no water, nothing. They are lovely

Wil try the chicken

i always cook my ham in the slow cooker.never done it any other way.
i just put the ham in and put in enough water to just cover the meat,and leave it on overnight to cook.
wake up to a gorgeous smell mmmmm............

thanks for that! Def going to cook a ham so that when its cold, i can just pick at it! I don't like cold chicken but I like cold ham!

Just realised you are down the road from me too! I'm in treforest, go to the uni of glam hehe x

I always cook my chickens & ham joints in the slow cooker - they really are yummy!

I have just bought a chicken on my food shop today that was reduced as it has tomorrow's date - guess where it is now:D!!

I think you get lots more meat from it cooked this way as it really does litterally fall off the bone!

i have a slow cooker which i never use, must get it out and find some recipes for it for when i get in from work.
other half is doing the atkins and when i get in he is cooking his dinner and i have to wait till he finishes before i can do mine and by that time i am starving and then just grab anything

has anyone tried lamb legs in their? if so does it just fall off the bone

has anyone tried lamb legs in their? if so does it just fall off the bone

yes I have done lamb its fingerlicking good and yes it just falls off the bone.

Back