Another newbie diet diary

wowee fantastic news Tasi, well done :) you'll zumba off that other lb no problem..i better get zumba'ing for 24 hours non stop to lose my festive excess ;) hee hee

have a great day x

Thanks Rose.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who can identify with this next bit:
We have a new dietician at our surgery and she is absolutely lovely, young and pretty (dammit! I'm jealous of her.) She was telling me, when I was waiting for hubby to come out of the cardiac follow up clinic (he's OK for another year thank goodness), that she has lost count of the people she has had referred to her, who have lost all hope of losing weight after trying the expensive'lose a stone in a week' food replacement ones. Yes, like me, they lost all the weight, but once they stopped taking the 'magic mixture' all the weight piled on rapidly and was almost impossible to shift. I've been there, went down to a size 12 once and ballooned up to 26 in a year and a half. Whatever I ate, piled the weight on. I too, felt a failure. So it was nice to hear her experiences and reassurance that hubby and I are doing the right thing by eating sensibly and aiming for no more than2lbs a week. One of the things she said has quite liberated me... DO NOT WEIGH MORE THAN ONCE A MONTH... I have the habit of jumping on a off through the weeek and sometimes it is quite depressing! She said to go by how our clothes feel and also measure inches. Forget about constantly weighing, if you eat properly & exercise you will lose weight. It's kindof nice to hear things like that when you have a bucket load of blubber to lose isn't it?

morning Tasi :)

so pleased the dietician shared such good advice with you, everything she said is so true, people become obsessed with the scales! On one of my many diets years ago, i had to ask hubby to hide them from me, so i could weigh in weekly instead of every opportunity!!! i weaned myself of the addicition and taught myself to resist, then i weighed in weekly and ignored them every other day.
Some people weigh in fortnightly and monthly because the results are very encouraging, i would like to do that, but at the moment i need the weekly result to keep me going!!!!
Using your clothes as an indicator of weight loss is a great idea, my nurse recommended that to me too.
Much as i take my hat off to all those who can cope with the meal replacement diets, personally they are not for me, i've tried them in the past and couldn't do it, the old fashioned eat less and move more is what is working for me this time round, its a way of life now, a lifestyle change and its got to be done :)

Have a good day, take the dietician's advice lovey, do what works for you, including weigh ins, and the pounds will be melting off!

Good news re your hubby's check up :)
p.s. i've NEVER been a size 12..you lucky woman :)

I was very surprised to read in a print out I picked up at my doctor's surgery; that if you lose up to 2lbs a week, you are losing fat. Over 2lbs a week and you are damaging muscles. This may explain why, after losing 5 stones rapidly 20 years ago, I suffered back problems a few months later. I still think though that no diet is a bad diet. We are all different and what suits one, might not suit another. I'm happy chugging along as I am.

It is my mum's birthday today (92) we are going to see her this morning, but she no longer knows who we are.

Hope your mum had a lovely day, the important thing is to share the day with her..you know who she is..and that's the important thing.

My nurse told me to always aim for 2lb a week..so that is very interesting Tasi..thanks!

Have a great day x

Well, that's the 5lbs Christmas gain off and I'm well pleased. Both of us are more relaxed about the weighing scales and after today will just weigh once a month.
I have a chicken poaching in the oven, you really can't tell it isn't roasted when you carve it and the taste is much nicer. Instead of roasting the parsnips and carrots I am boiling them together, & mash with a bit of skimmed milk and serve like that. Instead of gravy we are having just the apple sauce which I've made from scratch and pud will be a 1 cal jelly, or just a piece of fruit.

I don't know about anyone else, but since I've been reading the labels on everything it has amazed me how some 'healthy foods' are so high in salt and fat.

Our old GP is retiring next week, I shall miss her. 20 years ago, I lost a hell of a lot of weight quickly on a meal replacement diet. I first felt a bit windy about it when I came out in a rash... then I fainted. I asked the saleswoman for some advice and she said it was perfectly normal and just drink more water. Not normal for me it wasn't! I went to my GP and she took one look and said 'For God's sake Tas go home and have a plateful of egg and chips! but don't make a habit of it.' I shall really miss her sensible approach, she has helped no end on our new life style plan

Well done on losing the excess..woohooo! I'll be glued to your thread every month to read your results, bet they are good 'uns :)

I know what you mean about losing a good doctor. I had a lovely doctor who really listened and never made me feel uncomfortable about my weight etc, unlike the older doctor who mentioned it at every opportunity even when i went to see him with earache or sore throat etc hee hee..anyway, lovely, caring, young doctor (who was also easy on the eye ;)) left last year to work in the city. I dreaded going to the other doctor, but a new doctor arrived, just as nice, just as caring, just as understandable and approachable, so i go to him now..they are certainly training them well these days, lovely manner always helps! Hope you get a good replacement too Tasi :)

Dinner sounds so yummy Tasi, enjoy!

I sure will Kate... but now a rant! BL'@@DY HUSBANDS! I ran a nice hot bath with expensive bath oil (my pressie to myself for shifting the Christmas gain) lavender scented candles, radio 4extra (my fav.) lay back and within 5 minutes the door flew open and hubby charged in 'Has the bulb gone?... Have you seen my reading glasses? I could have sworn I left them on the top of the loo. Oh by the way, Nick (neighbour) has just rung. He has a load of bricks coming tomorrow, will you keep an eye out for the lorry and make sure they deliver to the back?' Then the blinking dog arrived, she's the size of a small donkey and stuck her head over the bath to see what was going on. I gave up, hubby had already switched the light on, I ejected the dog, got dried and dressed and came into the sitting room! So much a bit of the old relaxation therapy eh?

oooh I was on the 'husband' rant at the weekend..must be something in the air Tasi? ;)

oh well, bless their wee cotton socks...what would we do without them?..answers on a postcard please!

Hope you get a retry at the lovely sounding relaxation therapy...next time LOCK THE DOOR!...and ignore him hee hee

have a good evening lovey x

I have been awake since 4.30am. Someone tried to pinch my neighbour's car which was parked curbside because of the bricks (see post above:D) S/he was a hoodie so I didn't get a good description but at least the car wasn't taken. Anyway the normal equation for my early mornings is thus: tas+early morning= eating ney, binging. So I am keeping myself busy. The dog thinks I have gone nuts!

oh how awful...isn't it so damn annoying that people these days seem to believe they are entitled to just help themselves to others belongings?

Try to avoid jumping into the biscuit tin, but maybe one for the shock and sleep deprivation ;)

Morning Rose. Yes I managed to avoid the biscuit tin, but only just. To wake me up, hubby and I went for a walk through an old oak wood yesterday afternoon. It was cold but the sun was bright and we had a lovely walk. The wood is 13 miles from where we live, but it is a beautiful drive. My knees seized up on the way home in the car and when I got out, I was walking like Aunt sally from Worzel Gummidge!!! You should have seen me getting up the 2 high steps into our house. I don't need to tell you that I slept like a log last night.
I changed our bed and have put the sheets through the washing machine this morning.... it leaked all over the kitchen floor. Fate was on my side, a plumber who lives up the road was having the day off and came to my rescue. If he hadn't been home I would have been running around like Jonesie from Dads Army... 'Don't panic!' He got it fixed and wouldn't charge us a penny, just wanted one of my chocolate cakes... Death by Chocolate, I think its the name that everyone loves.
Have a good weekend everyone. I'm shampooing the hall carpet tomorrow.
I have a new mantra.. 'minute on the lips lifetime on the hips' The post lady gave me it.

hello Tasi, well its all go in your life isn't it? ;)....misbehaving washing machines etc, how lucky are you, a lovey neighbour, who is also a plumber..and didn't charge you anything..that is great news!

Woodland walk sounds beautiful. We have woods nearby and last year, i quite often could be found wandering around there in the afternoons, trying to melt another lb off :)..and the good thing is, not once was i mistaken for a bear! hee hee

Liking the mantra. I also like "nothing tastes as good, as being slim feels", its on someone's signature on here...fab!

have a good weekend :)

I like that mantra too Rose and it is soooo true. I'm looking forward to the day I slip a once skin-tight-can't-get-into dress, over my head and it just falls over my hips. A wonderful feeling.

Ever the optimist I got myself some more knitting wool yesterday. I'm going to make myself a knee length jacket in bottle green 2 sizes smaller. Hope my optimism isn't missed placed! I love to kit, crochet and make tapestries. My husband says I am incapable of sitting in front of the TV without a needle or hook in my hand. I make the exception for Strictly though, this year I became a big Pasha fan... Sorry Vinthent. You are now demoted to first reserve;)

The internet isn't all bad is it? I can get my knitting wool much cheaper over 'tinternet, even with postage than in the only knitting wool shop in our city.Buying wool with them (and they are doing you a favour to serve you) costs £7.50p to knit my husband a pair of socks and he is only a size 9 and likes short ones so goodness knows what it would cost if he had big feet and like long ones! Buying the wool over the net costs just over £3 for a 100G ball (at the moment. No doubt it will rise in the current financial climate)

Shops are closing down rapidly in our town centre Evan's has gone, but it was too dear for me to shop in. Peacocks, Past Times and Bon Marche went this week. Good old Primark is still going and always full of people. I find ASDA clothes really good value and very cheap too. I had a mad moment this summer, bought loads of very cheap white T shirts from there and tie dyed them a la 1960's. Memo to self: Get a lfe Tas!

Great idea to knit your jacket 3 sizes smaller..you won't want all that hard work goig to waste...bottle green is one of my fave colours :) How long wil it take you to complete do you reckon?

yes, many stores are closing everywhere, a sign of the times..i like asda clothes too, and buy a lot there for me, hubby and wee cherub. I visit Evans online..when the sale is on!!!! ;)

Have a good sunday lovey, enjoy!

I'm a natural redhead Rose, so wear a lot of green, beige and grey. Hubby picked the bottle green colour because I don't have anything in that shade. He said it would throw out my green eyes... I lookk for things that hide my fat bum! I don't know how long it will take. My start sign is gemini so I am easily bored. I may stop and have a go at my big project, a double bed cover in 4ply. There a 4 triangles to each square which when sewn together make a flower.

I can’t tell you how well and happy I feel on this new approach to a healthier body where weight loss is just a by-product. Only getting on the scales once a month is truly liberating. I used to be one of those people who was on and off the scales all day never mind about once a week.
Having a different outlook on food is also a new and novel experience and to be told that ‘no food is bad food if you eat it in moderation’ is so true. Take bread, it isn’t the bread its what you put on it that caused the problems.

I know I have a long way to go, but already my hips knees and ankles are feeling better and if I can lose a pound a week, that’s 52lbs in a year. Not to be sneezed at and just a small part of a healthier life style.
I weigh in at the end of the month, but this first one will only be a 3 week one so I’m expecting 3lbs off, but have no idea how many inches I shall lose.
Dreadful day here today, the birds are flying backwards, the sky is grey and the rain cold.
This afternoon I think will either be spent with my book (I am a dreadful bookworm girls. I even the read the back of cornflake packets if they are facing me) or my knitting.
Turkey casserole for tea so I’ts not too arduous is it?

Back