Anwen's diary

Yay, another 2lb off!

Well done you on another 2lbs off. Keep up the good work and you'll be there in no time :D

Xposted to "coming back" thread:

I joined SW in December, lost 13lb but then had some health problems (which are kind of ongoing-but-very-variable) and couldn't manage to do cooking and got a bit dispirited and stopped going for a few weeks.

A couple of weeks ago I joined WW (my mum's a member and likes it, and their monthly pass thingy is quite handy as I can't always manage to go to the same place/on the same day) and lost 2lb in the first week (having somehow lost another lb in the time between clubs...) but I'm already fed up of all the counting and tracking, though in some ways it's more flexible for times when I can't cook (again, re: disability).

So, I've cancelled the monthly pass thing and I suppose what I'll do is buy a countdown at a daytime/drop in class and then go to an evening one on the weeks when I can manage it/really need to. That's allowed, right? I mean, if I weigh in on Monday morning, I think I'm then allowed to go to an evening meeting later in the week and do the image therapy stuff without paying again? (Also, WW meetings are so much more BORING than SW, or at least the local WW chap is dull...)

Hi hun - give your SW consultant a call and ask if you can do that - I'm 99% certain you can, in fact I remember someone joking in class that they need to go to class daily.

Well done on you loss so far xx

Hi Maria

Sort of ok, I've gone over syns pretty much every day so far, but not wildly so, and mostly with vaguely sensible things. Don't know if I'll lose this week, we'll see.

Need to figure out what I'll be eating today and over the weekend, hopefully going on a picnic tomorrow so that should be good, plenty of fruit and some salad and cold chicken I think.

Well, I did ok today until about 8.30... Took some cooked chicken and ham, fruit, tomatoes and a bottle of water. Had a little bit of DD's baguette (just the actual bread) and got a small Cherry Garcia ice cream from the Ben & Jerry's stall, just about within syns. DD got a happy meal and I didn't have anything as I wasn't that hungry and would have something at home.

Then we got off the bus and went to Tesco to pick up something for my tea, except DD was still hungry and wanted chips (she's thin as a rake, goodness knows how, mind you, she did spend the afternoon racing any of my friends who was fool enough to compete up a ruddy great hill) and I ended up having a portion for myself as I was pretty worn out... I only ate about half of them, as they weren't that nice, but still.

I have probably been following SW about 60-70% of the time, I don't keep a food diary as I tend to get a bit obsessive in an unhealthy sort of way about them, consultant told me off about that a little bit on the phone, but I know where I've gone over my syns and I don't particularly feel that I need to write it down - if I haven't lost this week then I know why. I'm not really sure what would be gained by having it written down to show to the consultant, kwim? She seems generally nice, though, hopefully she'll get used to my rebellious ways... ;)

Basically, I haven't done particularly well this week, but I could have done a LOT worse - I think if I'd tried to be super strict I'd have ended up going off the rails in a big way. This way I'm improving - next week I'm going to aim for at least 80% on plan, and so on. I've mostly had sensible meals and mostly fruit for snacks, I've just gone over a little bit each day, really.

Ha, went off piste totally today, had an ok breakfast, was planning a sensible lunch in the West End except the trains weren't running so had to get another bus to a different station by which time I was ravenous and exhausted and ended up having a Big Tasty in McDo, then a ruddy great chocolate chip muffin from Millie's to try and degrease my mouth... Also had a bar of whole nut on the way home. Oh well. Hope consultant doesn't try and tell me off, I'm not really up for the whole group confessional thing. I ate mostly fairly sensibly this week, plus a bit of rubbish, I don't really need to tell the group where I went wrong... Apart from today and last night I've been basically having really good meals and mostly fruit as snacks, just been having the odd junky thing after dinner in the evening.

I think my plan is to go to class tomorrow morning then go upstairs to the local library where I can use the computers to write up a meal plan and shopping list for the week, print those off and then go to Sainsbury's.

Well, somehow managed to lose another half a pound. Came away with good intentions and went to my mum's to make my nice printed meal plan for the week, printed it and my shopping list...

Got on the bus to the supermarket and some woman doing a survey was blocking the only empty disabled space. She refused to move so I could sit down because "I'm standing in here to let the buggy get past" (the buggy was a couple of people behind me, meanwhile I am in PAIN because it hurts to stand up!) so I ended up blocking the aisle myself, because I'm not about to waste spoons by going further on and then having to come back and probably turf someone else out of the seat... Luckily a lady gave me her seat.

Then when I got to Tesco they said their systems were down so only the self service tills were working and there was a half-hour queue. There's no way I could have stood in a queue for even half that time and I panicked a bit and ended up having a ruddy great autistic meltdown complete with yelling a Bad Word at some stupid man who said "don't get so upset, it's only a bit of shopping." Oh dear.

Of course the meltdown used up all my spoons [spoons = a unit of the ability to do stuff, used by a lot of people with chronic illnesses after this: ButYouDontLookSick.com : The Spoon Theory ] and I ended up being brought a seat by a member of staff and sitting there crying for about half an hour before I dragged myself home via the kebab shop because I needed to eat something and couldn't even face peeling an orange (and don't have much actual food in the house, hence being a bit upset...) I always end up eating a load of sugary rubbish after these things, and by the time I collected DD from school I'd eaten half a piece of cherry pie, half a chocolate doughnut and a bag of chocolate buttons. Oops.

Oh chick :hug99: Tesco seem to have changed their till system and I know when I went yesterday morning they couldn't accept cash as the tills but the cust serv till couldn't weigh anything.... it was fustrating to be told I couldn't buy the things I wanted because of their errors... and I don't need to think about spoons (I read the link)

Hope today is a better day for you

Thanks RM07, I really appreciate that :) Today was sort of betterish, I went to work (currently working 1 short day per week, aiming to increase to probably 3 days eventually) and did a bit of stuff but then got a headache and couldn't concentrate on anything. I decided not to go to a work thing this Sunday in Birmingham (I'd been planning to go up on Saturday and stay over, but my line manager asked if I really wanted to go and I realised what a huge hassle it would all be, esp as I hadn't booked tickets or hotel yet and I said actually um, no, so I don't have to go) and went home a little early.

Stopped at a bookshop and bought a nice book about dyspraxia. I think my daughter, like me, has some sort of autism spectrum disorder - I have a diagnosis of ADD and was assessed for Asperger's Syndrome but they basically said "you have several traits but we don't really diagnose it in adults and you seem to be functioning OK" (one of the criteria is that it's meant to affect at least two areas of life, at the time I had a new boyfriend and some friends and was doing ok on a course, I've still got the boyfriend and most of the friends [all of whom are a bit peculiar themselves ;)] but crashed right out of the course and then had lots of problems with jobs that I think were related to the AS stuff, possibly if I went for an assessment now they might believe me ;) ) and we're currently going through the rather lengthy and frustrating assessment process where the school's opinion of my daughter seems to be taken more seriously than my own. I am starting to think she may be dyspraxic rather than AS/ADD (they are all very similar and have a lot of shared symptoms/traits, I and a lot of people think that ADD, dyspraxia, dyslexia, dyscalculia and a few other things are basically all on the autistic spectrum as much as AS is) and this book's really good, it's written by a 16 year old girl with dyspraxia and has lots of helpful ideas of how to make your life easier if you have dyspraxia - even if DD doesn't specifically have dyspraxia I think that there are lots of things in the book that will help, e.g. she HATES wearing a school tie and it has ideas for how to adapt a school tie so it's more bearable (e.g. adding some elastic and keeping it knotted so that it just has to be pulled on/off and isn't so constricting).

Gosh, that was a bit of a ramble, sorry! Anyway, so I read some of that last night and watched a bit of telly and went to the supermarket (DD was at my mum's for the night) and bought lots of nice sensible things from a modified version of the menu I made on Monday. I did have a kebab for tea last night because basically I didn't have any more spoons for cooking and there was a lot of washing up undone before I would have been able even to start cooking.

This morning I got up, had a pear, took DD to school (my mum lives very close by and DD likes it if I take her to school from Granny's) and came home, cleared some things off the sofa (I am chronically horrendously messy even when I'm fine for spoons, so the flat is a terrible mess and when I say "cleared some things" I mean "it took about ten minutes) and set a timer for an hour, read my book (not the other one, a Harry Potter one) for an hour stretched out on the sofa which I haven't been able to do for about three months, then did some of the washing up and picked up some rubbish in the living room (mostly old water bottles, receipts etc, nothing really grim).

I had a shape fuller for longer (mango and passion fruit, yum!) and came on the computer for a bit, with the timer set for 15 minutes so I wouldn't sit here all day... Did some more washing up when the timer went off and it's now nearly all done. Had a lovely lunch of SW chips, steak and mushrooms, yum!

Hey ho. Another half lb off this week, no idea how. Have been a bit more back on track this week so far, though I did have a soup which technically was lots of syns for my lunch AND a bar of chocolate, but it's not as though I had e.g. the soup and a big plate of chicken and pasta and the chocolate, which technically I could have done as the other stuff would have been free and made no difference to the syns. Not really the best logic, but I couldn't find anything nice near the office that wasn't millions of syns, and am really full after the soup and chocolate at least (it was one of those ones in a carton, very thick and tasty).

Back