Any ideas?

An you help I'm looking for cheap vegetarian meal recipes? I love anything with pasta and rice! I'm not a vegetarian but want to cut the cost of my shopping down by reducing the amount of meat I buy! I love curries and spag Bol but I would have a clue of substitutes! Rather not use quote if I can help it so thinking lentils and chickpeas etc! Thankyou x

I do mostlu Green days, with a few EE thrown in, loads of beans, lentils & veg. Usually if I have meat its chicken and I use it as my HEXB, my diary's here, theres loads more in there if you scan through for any with 'Green' in the title. Silly Sausage, Odd Socks, I Love Cake, they all do loads of Green :)

I am having a "bean" weekend. On Thursday night I made a big mixed bean salad and left it to stand in the fridge overnight:

Bean Salad
Jar of Red Kidney Beans
Jar of Pinto Beans
Tin of Sweetcorn
Tino f Chopped Tomatoes
2 sticks celery
Red onion
Red pepper
1tsp chilli flakes

On Friday lunchtime I had some of this with baked potato.

For Friday teatime I put some in the slow cooker with a sliced carrot, some mushrooms, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/2 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp oregano and left it for 4 hours. Served with rice.

Saturday lunchtime: left over chilli and rice

Saturday teatime: Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Cottage Cheese and bean salad

Sunday lunchtime: Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Cottage Cheese and bean salad

Sunday teatime: Baked Red Pepper stuffed with left over bean chilli and rice

6 main meals = less than 5€

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi, I got given a recipe for a curry sauce at club last week - a tin of mushy peas, a tin of baked beans, a tin of chopped tomatoes and medium strength curry powder. It tastes like chip shop curry sauce so I pour it over s/w chips! Not for the faint hearted though, this is colonic irrigation on a plate!!

Back