Any other veggies here?

Witchypoo

I'm just wondering if there are any other veggies here. And I mean real veggies, no fish or anything else that had a face!;)

I've been veggie for about 18 years so far, and the only thing I ever missed was Chinese. But I now live in a town with a great Chinese takeaway that has Tofu dishes on the menu. I think that counts for at least one of the stones I need to loose.:8855:

It's a good job I enjoy cooking and experimenting with food, 'cause the choice of veggie ready made food tends to be very limited. It's better than it was years ago, but how many times can you eat veggie lasagna before you get heartily sick of it!:rolleyes:

I'm hoping to find someone to swap recepes with, so fingers crossed.

Me! I eat vegetarian cheese (made with veggie rennet) and free-range eggs too, but nothing that came from a slaughtered animal. We don't use leather, or feather pillows either as they are taken from killed animals.

I wanted to try a low-carb diet, but I just couldn't find a way to get protein on its own without carbohydrate or too much fat. It's not like I can eat a bit of white fish, or a chicken breast.

I don't think I can offer any recipes though - most of my stuff tends to be straight out of cartons and jars!

Last edited:
me too:D
have been a veggie for 23 years(gosh i didn't realise it had been that long!)
not much of a recipe girl though,
tend to just bung things together when cooking from scratch:eek:

i do use a few ready meals,i find my local sainsbury do quite a good selection,
things like,bgty mac cheese,spinach and riccotta canneloni,and as you mentioned lasagna(which i dont eat either...yuk!)i think they do some mushroomy ones but i dont like the look of them so have never tried them(i also cant eat anything with peppers in as i'm allergic to them,which can be awkward cos so often if it's veggie it has peppers in it:sigh:)
ww do similar meals but usually a few cals less than the bgty,and personally i think they taste nicer.
i also use a lot of quorn products which are uaually very low in fat and quite good for protein.quorn cottage pie is nice now and then,just bung it in the microwave for 10 mins...mmm lovely with some veg and under 400 cals!
quorn burgers,bangers,fillets,all very good,and take very little time to cook
quorn slices are great for sandwiches,and the little cocktail sausages are great for a quick snack attack.my bro puts everything in the microwave,and even though it doesen't say so on the cooking instructions,they all seem to cook fine in there too.
my new love are the ww pizza's,cherry tomato or feta and red onion,10 min's in the oven,and only around 400 cals for a whole one....result!!
also there are some good tinned veg curries around,but they can be a bit high in cals so a good idea to be careful on portion size with them.
hope some of that helps.(you probably knew most of it already,ha ha)
and i wish you all the best with your weight loss.:)

Unfortunately I am a compulsive picker type person, and although I have managed to get that under control to some extent, I still can't stick to just eating at mealtimes. So in order to stick to 1000Kcal a day, I am having to do stuff like eating just a small tub of cottage cheese for one meal, then an orange for snack, then a yogurt for next meal, then a peanut butter on one slice of bread etc. If I put enough stuff together at one time to make a real meal, it doesn't leave me enough over to snack on. I still cook healthy full meals for my husband, but I am now not able to eat with him as such.

Some readers might be thinking that this isn't going to teach me to change my habits in the long term, but I would say that is the mistake I have made in the past, thinking that I would be able to learn new habits. I have a feeling my success at keeping my weight down may have to entail me accepting that I do have an eating problem, may always have it, and to stay on a "diet", with strict rules (with occasional eat-as-I-like days programmed in for something to look forward to) for the rest of my life - obviously with more calories allowed than I have in the reducing phase.

hi inge jones:)
it need not be that it's a 'problem'.
some people naturally tend to eat little and often throughout the day,and in fact there's those that would say it's the best way to eat,as it keeps your sugar levels up consistently much better than eating two or three large meals a day,and so keeps the really bad cravings and binges away!
i wish i could eat a bit more often in the day than i do.
i think,if it's working for you,stick at it and be happy!
good luck.x

Hey Inge Jones,
Grazing, with 5 or 6 small meals spread over the day is how a lot of fitness people manage their calories. I've tried it myself, but working in a shop with very irregular breaks makes it very difficult.

I do use ready meals from time to time, but I find them very salty, and end up being very thirsty the next day.
I dont use salt in my own cooking, I grew up with a Mum who believed everything she read in the Sunday Post, and they said salt was bad for you, so that was the salt in the bin.:rolleyes:

Hey Inge Jones,
Grazing, with 5 or 6 small meals spread over the day is how a lot of fitness people manage their calories. I've tried it myself, but working in a shop with very irregular breaks makes it very difficult.

I do use ready meals from time to time, but I find them very salty, and end up being very thirsty the next day.
I dont use salt in my own cooking, I grew up with a Mum who believed everything she read in the Sunday Post, and they said salt was bad for you, so that was the salt in the bin.:rolleyes:
I love salty food :p lush!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I am restricting sodium too, but as I am not actually having whole meals, including ready meals, it's not an issue at this time. Just pots of yogurt, and packs of runner beans etc.

Back