Any students out there?

floss

Hey everyone, I did s&s for just over a week back in october, can't remember why I stopped but I was going through some stuff so probably had something to do with it! Anyway, Id like to lose 3 stone to get to my dream weight so Iv found some of my packs and am gunna give it another go. My only worry though is being a student, nights out are atleast once a week if not more and the abuse (friendly but still annoying) I get from my friends if I don't drink is crazy! It's also rubbish to be stone cold sober when everyone else is tipsy! I'm guessing I can't drink at all when on this plan?

Also anyone able to tell me roughly how long I can expect it to take to lose all my weight?

Thanks!

Hey, drinking is not permitted on plan -if you wanted to drink you would need to bring yourself out of ketosis that day. Bearing in mind it takes most people around 3 days to get back into ketosis, and a hard 3 days at that, this may not be the best plan for you if you plan on a lot of social,nights out and can't avoid alcohol xx

I'm currently on the Dukan diet and likewise alcohol isn't permitted. I'm also a student and I can relate to the whole 'pressure to drink' thing. I'm pretty notorious for liking a bottle of the old vino xD and if I say I don't want to drink people don't believe me and tell me that I've 'got to' because it wouldn't be me. I failed miserably last semester succumbing to the pressure to drink and just 'enjoy myself' and so this term I've resolved not to go out at all. Sounds miserable and harsh I know, but I just can't go out and stay sober so I know if I go I will certainly fall off the wagon. I actually told people that my doctor told me to cut out drinking, so people wouldn't argue with me and try to coax me to have a drink. It just comes down to how badly you want to lose weight. Give up the partying for a while and you'll reap all the benefits. It won't be forever :)

Last edited:
you could be at your ideal weight by the end of april , thats not so bad is it?
you can party all summer looking fab x

I'm a student but I'm teetotal - there's a rarity!

The diet isn't forever - abstaining for a while will be worth it and then you can enjoy alcohol again in moderation feeling confident and slim! :D

I'm a student... but with Open Uni! Peer pressure = non existant! :D

I'm a student but live in my own home, so no nights out!

I think you should do the diet and just cut out the drinking, you will lose the weight and then can be happy all summer and for the rest of your life.

You know yourself best though, so if you can't do it, then follow some other plan that allows low calorie alcohol.

Good luck xx

I have previously told people I am on antibiotics from the dentist and can't drink as it makes you very ill. Another favourite is getting my own drinks because I can't afford a round and just getting diet coke-if anyone asks its got an xxx amount of xxx in it (insert appropriate amount of shots/spirits). Just a couple of ideas to keep you on track and nosey parkers to a minimum!! Xx

Drinking in ketosis is advised from a medical front but also from a weight loss front, it screws things up. Your liver stops processing fat whilst it processes the alcohol. So you're doing s&s and just won't see he benefit of it if you choose to drink.

I did a similar diet whilst at un and just told people i didn't want to drink. They soon got used to it and I tended to have a good night still.

I hate to throw a spanner in the works but I'm a student first year on sns. And did CD last year, not in uni but on a gap year. And I've drank both times in ketosis. I know your probably not suppose to but I have vodka and coke zero or one of the allowed drinks. But I don't drink when out as most mixers contain citric acid. I have been fine every time and still need a quite a bit to get drunk. But others say they hardly need anything. And still manage to stay in ketosis. But if you are going to drink just be careful!!!

But if you are going to drink just be careful!!!

You shouldnt really be offering this advice as it is not ok to drink while in ketosis and offers many very serious side effects including alcohol poisoning and blackouts as well as memory loss.

This happens majority of the time. I would say do another diet where alcohol is permitted, eat carbs before a night out or go teetotal.

Well I have never experienced any of the over before and I do know rather a few people who drink while in ketosis and are fine. I've researched it online and there are different views. So my thoughts were go out and try it. I personally believe I would miss out on a lot if I don't drink and go out so I tried it. And was absoluty fine. But everyone is different I guess.

I have only drank two times in ketosis. The first time I didn't know any better but the second time it was a choice I made. Both times I got very drunk very quickly and have very little recollection of both evenings. More worrying both times I was violently sick in my sleep and not waking up on either occasion until morning. I just don't think it is worth risking your health for.

Why would you be missing out if you don't drink though? Can you not go out anyway and just have a good night without alcohol?

Iv drank before in ketosis too and I got realy drunk realy fast and not in a an enjoyable way either...just like 0-shat faced in no time at all.
On atkins ppl seem to be able to get away with it more, something to do with the high fat content in that plan but on a ketogenic VLCD you just realy shouldnt.
Im one of those folks too who wouldnt enjoy a night out if everyone else was drunk and I wasnt:-(
Jo x

I obviously just see it differently to others. I personally don't go out for the alcohol, it's the people and company and I feel able to enjoy that without drinking at all if I'm not able to. I don't like getting particularly drunk anyway. Ruins it for me if I were to wake up the next day with a hangover or not remembering it all!

I agree with you, Caroline - I'm teetotal now but I used to drink. And I'm a student.

I can't really understand someone saying that they'd read it was dangerous to drink while in ketosis but they tried it anyway. That's like saying "I heard it's dangerous to jump in front of a bus, but I'm going to try it anyway." :confused:

The official line is no drinking in ketosis and nobody should be encouraging people to do that. Ultimately it's your choice but you have the rest of your life to drink - the diet is only for a few months :)

To be fair there's no evidence is there? It's mainly people's ridiculous suggestions. There's no need to be judgemental for those who want to drink, of people drink that's there choice.

To be fair there's no evidence is there? It's mainly people's ridiculous suggestions. There's no need to be judgemental for those who want to drink, of people drink that's there choice.

I dont understand if they are willing to give up food for diet like this (which is a neccesary item for the body) then why would they still choose to drink alcohol, which isnt neccesary for the bodies function?

If you feel under pressure from your friends then i wouldnt class them as friends. Friends shouldnt pressure you.

Alcohol is just a legalised drug, its just as harmful as any otger drug. Im sure you wouldnt promote cocaine use.

Just because its socially exceptable doesnt mean its any less harmful. Personally if you want to drink do it on a diet that allows it.

love sarah xxx

Back